The Search

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I just think that with the very limited amount of information anyone on this board has to go by, it is just absurd that everyone is jumping on MBob. Nobody on here knows any more than I do, which is nothing.

We know a recruit told interviewers 11 days ago that he should expect an announcement in 7-10 days.

We also have, it seems, at least 2 independent sources from @BigDaddy, @DaBiz and @GlennW that we thought we had Drew locked down on Sat and lost Capel, either by action or inaction on Sunday even though Valpo sources were saying publicly on Saturday that our deal with Drew wasn't in place.

Now, it's possible that all the sources got trolled by MBob, but that seems unlikely to me. If it happens that way, I'll admit being wrong.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
We know a recruit told interviewers 11 days ago that he should expect an announcement in 7-10 days.

We also have, it seems, at least 2 independent sources from @BigDaddy, @DaBiz and @GlennW that we thought we had Drew locked down on Sat and lost Capel, either by action or inaction on Sunday even though Valpo sources were saying publicly on Saturday that our deal with Drew wasn't in place.

Now, it's possible that all the sources got trolled by MBob, but that seems unlikely to me. If it happens that way, I'll admit being wrong.

I agree. While there is not a single poster on this board that knows everything about the search and situation, I think it is disingenuous of you (Supersizethatorder-mutt) to think that some of the posters on this forumdon't have legitimate connections within the athletic association that are close to the situation. I think the smoke around Drew was real, and that certain people close to the situation had reason to believe that the parties had reached a verbal agreement. MBob may not have thought so, but I don't think that stuff was all just made up either.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I learned some things this past week:

1- I think a lot more of the Tech hoops potential than guys qualified to be the new coach.

2- If Vandy is a better choice for an up and coming candidate, we need to rethink where we are and how to move beyond this point.

3- I will never again allow myself to get excited when a Swarm poster says he got his information from someone "in the know." This includes KQ.

4- I am totally lost about who might be our next coach, or whether it was handled correctly up to this point, but the PR has been about as bad as it could be.

5- Woodfords has a legitimate purpose other than celebrating victories.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I go to the gym and then mow the lawn. finally sit down to the computer and this is what I find.

kEzRhVF.gif

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Mbob can't grab money out of the air. We lost Drew because we could not outbid Vandy. Vandy offers more money plus an easier league to play. Mbob fired Gregory because of pressure from the fans and the money boys, most likely. Remember all the screaming when he did not fire Gregory last year. So you may find a part of the cause of our problem by looking in the mirror, on both counts.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Let me just say this, I don't know daBiz but have followed him for years on the different boards etc, and this might be the first time I have seen him get it wrong on GT hoops. My AA source is also very good and he swore up and down it was a done deal Saturday morning. I am 100% sure that Drew was building a coaching staff while in Houston and reaching out to contacts here to help.
As pissed as I am at MBob right now some of this falls on Drew too, especially if he gave his word. My issue with MBob and one area I disagree with daBiz is that I think we screwed the pooch with Capel by thinking we had Drew. I know their was legitimate interest in both sides between GT and Capel. Now I doubt we can get him now but if I was MBob I'd be trying anything I could. Who knows where we go now.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Mbob can't grab money out of the air. We lost Drew because we could not outbid Vandy. Vandy offers more money plus an easier league to play. Mbob fired Gregory because of pressure from the fans and the money boys, most likely. Remember all the screaming when he did not fire Gregory last year. So you may find a part of the cause of our problem by looking in the mirror, on both counts.

Unless the money boys are going to buy you a better coach then you do not fall under pressure. He botched the deal.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Today's conspiracy theory/entertaining thought of the day by yours truly:

MBob purposely and publicly bungled up this search so Bobby Cremins can swoop and temporarily save the day. Instead of paying 3 coaches (CPH, CBG, and New Coach) big time money, Cremins agrees to see us through the "buyout years" with a low salary until GTMBB can reset all the dead money we owe, and then we'll pounce with a lucrative offer for a guy like Chris Mack/Archie Miller/Gregg Marshall.

This isn't possible without publicly looking like we have no clue because Cremins would have appeared to go against "pro code" in taking the job immediately after Gregory was fired.

Yep...that's the theory I'm going with. I mean, I don't think I could handle knowing our AD put all GT's eggs in one basket only to see Vanderbilt swoop in and steal the hatchling while MBob took a poop.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Today's conspiracy theory/entertaining thought of the day by yours truly:

MBob purposely and publicly bungled up this search so Bobby Cremins can swoop and temporarily save the day. Instead of paying 3 coaches (CPH, CBG, and New Coach) big time money, Cremins agrees to see us through the "buyout years" with a low salary until GTMBB can reset all the money we owe, and then we'll pounce with a lucrative offer for a guy like Chris Mack/Archie Miller/Gregg Marshall.

This isn't possible without publicly looking like we have no clue because Cremins would have appeared to go against "pro code" in taking the job immediately after Gregory was fired.

Yep...that's the theory I'm going with. I mean, I don't think I could handle knowing our AD put all GT's eggs in one basket only to Vanderbilt swoop in and steal the hatchling while MBob took a poop.
OR MBob wants to hire Mark Price and couldn't do it unless he made it look like we missed on our top guys:rolleyes:

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Some random AJC commenter threw out the Northern Iowa coach who I'd never heard of, Ben Jacobson. Gotta say, his resume is better than Gregory's was, and better than Kelsey and guys like that....

I agree. While there is not a single poster on this board that knows everything about the search and situation, I think it is disingenuous of you (Supersizethatorder-mutt) to think that some of the posters on this forumdon't have legitimate connections within the athletic association that are close to the situation. I think the smoke around Drew was real, and that certain people close to the situation had reason to believe that the parties had reached a verbal agreement. MBob may not have thought so, but I don't think that stuff was all just made up either.
What that tells me is that Drew played us, and we lost.