The Search

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Not saying he's the guy, I just think this is as good a time as any to take a chance on someone for a few years until all the funds are cleared up and then take another shot at a big fish (as none seem available).
I agree that Pat wouldn't be a bad hire. I think he can coach. After Greg Marshall the next coach at Winthrop sucked. Pat has improved every year. If he hires the right recruiters around him I think he would be a good coach.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
This may sound like a joke, and I know we would never be able to sell it to the fan base and big donors, but I would 100% take co-coaches Brian Gregory and Paul Hewitt for a two year deal over any of the names we are now seeing. Heck, we are already paying them anyway. One can recruit, the other can coach. Seriously.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
You basketball aficionados are completely missing the boat on MBob's strategic leanings. There is no money to steal a coach, so he's decided to go the player-coach route.

The reports are that Drew was MBob's first choice, and MBob said money wasn't going to be a factor. And he apparently cut ties with Capel before he had a deal in place.
I still question how it is MBob's fault that Drew didn't buy in. As far as MBob cutting ties with Capel, how do you know that? From what I have seen Capel withdrew his own name.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
This may sound like a joke, and I know we would never be able to sell it to the fan base and big donors, but I would 100% take co-coaches Brian Gregory and Paul Hewitt for a two year deal over any of the names we are now seeing. Heck, we are already paying them anyway. One can recruit, the other can coach. Seriously.

Which one can coach?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This reminds me of the Jerry McGuire (GT/MBob) situation with Frank Cushman (Bryce Drew). McGuire was being strung along the whole time on verbal agreement and a handshake, all the while Bob Sugar (Vanderbilt) was the guy who got the signature. While McGuire was busy chasing Cushman around, his clients (potential coaching candidates...Capel, ahem) were leaving. McGuire put everything on Cushman, and lost it all in the end.

All I know now is Cuba Gooding Jr best come with some thunder!

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Show me the money......

wait, we don't have anything to show unfortunately.....

This reminds me of the Jerry McGuire (GT/MBob) situation with Frank Cushman (Bryce Drew). McGuire was being strung along the whole time on verbal agreement and a handshake, all the while Bob Sugar (Vanderbilt) was the guy who got the signature. While McGuire was busy chasing Cushman around, his clients (potential coaching candidates...Capel, ahem) were leaving. McGuire put everything on Cushman, and lost it all in the end.

All I know now is Cuba Gooding Jr best come with some thunder!

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Can we just go get Mark Price at this point! I am being 100% serious if we are going to take a shot at some up and comer or a retread let's at least take a chance on one of own.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I still question how it is MBob's fault that Drew didn't buy in. As far as MBob cutting ties with Capel, how do you know that? From what I have seen Capel withdrew his own name.

So you don't blame coaches who can't recruit either? He fired CBG, promised the very best and all sources say he missed on top two.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Can we just go get Mark Price at this point! I am being 100% serious if we are going to take a shot at some up and comer or a retread let's at least take a chance on one of own.
A week ago I was completely against this, now he might be the most "getable" guy that could still bring some excitement for the fanbase.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't understand how we have screwed this up so badly (I know wait until someone is hired). No one after this season would have been up in arms if we had retained Gregory one more season. He had just had a fairly good season perhaps deserving of another and from a financial point of view it would be less of a buyout after next year. He should not have been fired unless we had our guy lined up and I mean when Gregory walks out of MBob's office being fired the new guy walks in to sign.