The Pros and Cons for 2017

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Reasons to Overcome

· Lost 2 OT depleting some depth (cannot afford injuries here)

· OT, Lee, is a beast but is still learning where to go

· New center (although proven in the VT game) and lack of proven center depth

· New QB (although JT was new in 2014)

· LB and Proven LB depth

· Need proven consistent DL pass rush

Reason for Hope

· As stated, A-Backs rival and may exceed 2014 roster

· June, Brad, Lynch and Qua have great hands for receptions

· Mills and Benson should rival Laskey and Days (Benson looks very good)

· OGs and good depth

· Starting OT Marshall

· Experienced defensive backs that made clutch plays in 2016

· New DL blood that may develop pass pressure

GT has the roster to repeat 2014. Injuries will play a big roll in 2017, as well as, the ability of the QB to make clutch plays.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Kicking and punting are unknowns at this point

Kick coverage should be good. In addition to some good returning ST coverage players such as Lewis, JJohnson, Campbell, Jackson, Benson, Kagawa, Cottrell, and the Austins there are 10 freshmen candidates to choose from (although I hope most RS). Where we need improvement is in KO returns. In addition to losing our punter and field goal kicker, we lost our holder and it is critical to replace these players. Fortunately our really good LS returns.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Kick coverage should be good. In addition to some good returning ST coverage players such as Lewis, JJohnson, Campbell, Jackson, Benson, Kagawa, Cottrell, and the Austins there are 10 freshmen candidates to choose from (although I hope most RS). Where we need improvement is in KO returns. In addition to losing our punter and field goal kicker, we lost our holder and it is critical to replace these players. Fortunately our really good LS returns.

Cottrell started returning kicks at the end of last year iirc. I think he's going to be exciting back there.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
The difference in a great season and a avg or poor season is and has always been turnovers. 2015 was more about turnovers than injuries. If we don't put the ball on the ground multiple times every game we win 9 games in 15. 2017 is going to be a very athletic team. It should be fun.

Last edited:

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Don't we have a freshman punter and also freshman kicker that were not part of Spring game, Harvin and King who are supposed to be all world. Spring game, was it Davis who was 3/3 FG? All were over 30 but under 40. I was not impressed with punting in SG. I don't recall any over 40 and there was no pressure

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
The difference in a great season and a avg or poor season is and has always been turnovers. 2015 was more about turnovers than injuries. If we don't put the ball on the ground multiple times every game we win 9 games in 15. 2016 is going to be a very athletic team. It should be fun.
Our B Back situation was not too strong in 2015 either. But yes a half dozen good bounces we could have been above .500.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
ND , Duke, Pitt,VT , UNC and UGA could have easily been W's. It was the weirdest season of football I have ever experienced. I don't want to ever experience anything like that again.

Yeah, but that one play made it all feel a hell of a lot better...

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Is this '17 team the most athletic overall since 1990? My eyes say yes.

Man, this is very high praise indeed. Like any NC team, there were no holes or weaknesses on that squad. Dominant on LOS, especially the O line...our best ever. St's were great.Skill people were as well. It's been a long time getting back to that although we have been very good to excellent in 1 (or maybe 2) phases in most years ever since (a few notable exceptions). What has been missing has been the ability to recruit and/or coach to get all 3 phases back in sync. Like you, I am cautiously optimistic that we heading back to that level of play. I am not saying we will win a NC next year. My strongest wish is to see good FB no matter which unit is on the field.If we can manage that, the record will take care of itself.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Is this '17 team the most athletic overall since 1990? My eyes say yes.
That's saying alot! I don't know if anyone knows the answer to that. Is there anyone involved in the athletic department who would know the answer to that? Preferably someone who could make that type of evaluation? It's an interesting question. Now whether or not 2017 turns out as good is a tall order.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Man, this is very high praise indeed. Like any NC team, there were no holes or weaknesses on that squad. Dominant on LOS, especially the O line...our best ever. St's were great.Skill people were as well. It's been a long time getting back to that although we have been very good to excellent in 1 (or maybe 2) phases in most years ever since (a few notable exceptions). What has been missing has been the ability to recruit and/or coach to get all 3 phases back in sync. Like you, I am cautiously optimistic that we heading back to that level of play. I am not saying we will win a NC next year. My strongest wish is to see good FB no matter which unit is on the field.If we can manage that, the record will take care of itself.
I mostly agree with what you are saying, but I will say that on OUR offensive recruiting instead of us getting 5 and 4 star recruits we get lower stars but with our system they are much higher rated for that system!!!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
For the record I'm not predicting a natty. If it happens I'll try and get a mod to delete this post :D

I'm also not putting this team on par with that 90 team. 90 was friggin stacked. But I think this might be our most athletic, overall, team since then. Athleticism across the country has risen since that time also so I will throw that caveat out there as well.

Can't wait for toe to meet leather.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
We should be good but
My biggest concern is the new kickers--close games are crucial--uga,BC?
next is --we have a lot of QBs but can one get it done ,esp on passing
we still may not have a DEF line good enough to win big,or really overall DEF

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Harvin will be fine at punter if he is healthy. His HS/camp tape is consistently strong and it's not the switch between high school (off tee) and college field goals.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Kicker is so important. Two wins at UGA were set up by clutch fg's by Butler. Touch backs on kickoff help ST play with field position. Hope our kicker is for real.

All good from side but What I am looking at:

Tennessee, no returning offense, QBs RBs WRs. Defense porous and never faced CPJ.
North Carolina no returning offense, all play makers gone. Defense suspect
Duke little offense and losses on defense
Clemson no returning offense. Strong defense
Miami new QB, in QB offense. Defense overated. We moved the ball on them last year.
VT no returning offense. Defense not what it used to be
UVA, still trying to figure it out
Wake Forest 6 win team at best
Pitt no returning offense and we score on them
UGA are they really any better than the last 3 years. No.