The Pros and Cons for 2017

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Adams is huge, can penetrate some, and hold the point of attack pretty well. He displayed some weaknesses in his game last year also however and I haven't seen strong evidence he can or will be an every down player yet. I believe to think so is more wishful thinking than anything. Subject to 2nd year improvements of course.

Branch is the only DT we have that I see as an every down reliable playmaker. Will be interesting to see how the other DT spot develops as well as the DE spot opposite Freeman.
I get that about Adams, I wasn't saying he's an every down player yet. I also havent seen enough from Branch to say he's an every down player, although he looked good in the spring game. He went unblocked pretty often, but I would say from the small sample size that he is the most polished DT. If Adams can become an every down DT imo he will be one of the best of the group, imo he's #2 with Branch #1 from the little I have seen. I also think we have guys that might be pushing Freeman this year.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I get that about Adams, I wasn't saying he's an every down player yet. I also havent seen enough from Branch to say he's an every down player, although he looked good in the spring game. He went unblocked pretty often, but I would say from the small sample size that he is the most polished DT. If Adams can become an every down DT imo he will be one of the best of the group, imo he's #2 with Branch #1 from the little I have seen. I also think we have guys that might be pushing Freeman this year.

Branch looked good in games last year when given opportunities. I'm not basing my assessment of him just off the spring game. He's quick and very adept at slicing between and through the OL. And his game doesn't appear to suffer in other facets even with his lack of size. I'll be surprised if he isn't our biggest playmaker at DT by a fairly wide margin.

Freeman. Yeah his sack numbers don't awe anyone. Dude made a lot of plays for us even with that lack of sacks. I don't see him getting unseated by our other DEs. We absolutely do need to find a pass rush though.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I like Branch and Adams at DT. Based on last years play, Henderson still has some things to get better at, he allows guys to get in on him and drive block him off the line a little to much imo, but he might have gotten better, he's got the talent. I haven't seen enough of Glanton to make an assessment on his play. I think Simmons, St Amour, and Freeman are a good group, but I hope another guy can step up at DE for more competition, and depth.

At DE Merriweather made some plays in the Spring Game and Vernon caught CPJ's eye ("in on a lot of plays") but I do not know how far behind the top 3 DEs they are. Agree about Branch and comments on C Henderson. Hopefully Adams can play a bigger role. My pick for DL standout performances this year are Simmons and Branch but would not rule out St Amour.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Branch looked good in games last year when given opportunities. I'm not basing my assessment of him just off the spring game. He's quick and very adept at slicing between and through the OL. And his game doesn't appear to suffer in other facets even with his lack of size. I'll be surprised if he isn't our biggest playmaker at DT by a fairly wide margin.

Freeman. Yeah his sack numbers don't awe anyone. Dude made a lot of plays for us even with that lack of sacks. I don't see him getting unseated by our other DEs. We absolutely do need to find a pass rush though.
No, I agree Branch looked good in the limited time, I just want to see more because it was such limited time. Imo he's definitely our best DT as of now. Also I agree Freeman is a solid player even though he's not a sack machine, I just think some guys will push him even if they don't start.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
At DE Merriweather made some plays in the Spring Game and Vernon caught CPJ's eye ("in on a lot of plays") but I do not know how far behind the top 3 DEs they are. Agree about Branch and comments on C Henderson. Hopefully Adams can play a bigger role. My pick for DL standout performances this year are Simmons and Branch but would not rule out St Amour.
Minus the guys we haven't seen play yet I think our DE rotation will be Simmons, St Amour, Freeman, and Merriweather (looked good in the spring game) at DT I personally like Branch and Adams starting, if Adams is able to play most downs without being winded, and Cerge-Henderson coming in. We need another guy at DT to step up though, either Glanton, Martin or Owens if he ends up moving inside.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There are some questions about each of our DLs, but IMO, each of those guys has a higher ceiling per man than the guys that have manned the DL in the past under CPJ. Right now there's no Adam Gotsis/Jeremiah Attaouchu/Derrick Morgan/Vance Walker in the bunch, but there are guys that can get there. I'm really high on Simmons and Frenchie at DE. I like Branch's quickness and high intensity at DT, and Adams could be a space eating run stuffer. He certainly has the ability to occupy two blockers to make it easier on our rushers.

I expect a breakout year from Saint-Amour (Frenchie!), and Simmons is in his money year (NFL draft) and his trajectory looks to reach it's peak this season. Both of these guys could wreck some QBs this year. Don't forget Freeman who had a promising freshmen campaign but has been kinda quiet since.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

I'm excited about the Branch/Adams combo, if Adams improves a bit, he is enough of a 'HOSS to demand a double team, Branch can get after the QB when he's blocked man up from what i've seen

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
There are some questions about each of our DLs, but IMO, each of those guys has a higher ceiling per man than the guys that have manned the DL in the past under CPJ. Right now there's no Adam Gotsis/Jeremiah Attaouchu/Derrick Morgan/Vance Walker in the bunch, but there are guys that can get there. I'm really high on Simmons and Frenchie at DE. I like Branch's quickness and high intensity at DT, and Adams could be a space eating run stuffer. He certainly has the ability to occupy two blockers to make it easier on our rushers.

I expect a breakout year from Saint-Amour (Frenchie!), and Simmons is in his money year (NFL draft) and his trajectory looks to reach it's peak this season. Both of these guys could wreck some QBs this year. Don't forget Freeman who had a promising freshmen campaign but has been kinda quiet since.
I won't be surprised to see Simmons with 10 sacks this year. If I'm not mistaken he was one of the top DE's in QB pressures in the ACC this past year.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Bottom line is we don't know if we're good enough at either DL or LBer. I imagine we'll get a better idea where we are quickly in that first game. On paper the UT oline will have higher rated kids than our guys but you don't play games on paper! I am optimistic that we're better but none of us really know.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Jaquan Henderson has been compared (by our coaches IIRC) to a bigger Jemea. I think we are deep at the hybrib/nickelLB spot: BJS, Kaleb Oliver, Jalen Johnson and Terrell Lewis should also compete for that.

It's one of the spots on D where we are not at a size / speed disadvantage. DL and interior LB is a different story.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Jaquan Henderson has been compared (by our coaches IIRC) to a bigger Jemea. I think we are deep at the hybrib/nickelLB spot: BJS, Kaleb Oliver, Jalen Johnson and Terrell Lewis should also compete for that.

It's one of the spots on D where we are not at a size / speed disadvantage. DL and interior LB is a different story.

Curry? Where do you see Carpenter and Showell playing?

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Curry? Where do you see Carpenter and Showell playing?
Same for Curry, Carpenter and Showell. I wonder if any of them will move to WR. Henderson's film impressed me the most of these guys. BJS seems bigger than 209, so might not be in this group.

The dour flipside is that we have lots of small linebackers.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Can we get a LB that can cover a TE on 3rd and long please.
achilles-heel.jpg

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Same for Curry, Carpenter and Showell. I wonder if any of them will move to WR. Henderson's film impressed me the most of these guys. BJS seems bigger than 209, so might not be in this group.

The dour flipside is that we have lots of small linebackers.

My preference would be to try some of these quicker LBs. Maybe they can find the ball, shed blocks, and cover receivers. Our recent LBs have not met high goals so lets do something different. With smaller guys taking lots of hits you need depth and that we have. (With some redshirts and conditioning and maturing some of these guys may grow into nice size LBs.)

I had rather have smaller, more athletic LBs that may continue to grow than start with larger and stronger guys with less upside athletically.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
It would be a pleasant surprise to have one of the true FR step up and play somewhere on the DEF.Most likely place is at LB. I always thought Curry was to be the man from 2 yrs ago but that hasn't panned out.
So if we are erratic at DL and questionable at LB ,where does that leave us? Probably about where PJ's def has been for yrs--not a dependable strength.