The Pros and Cons for 2017

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

If we had played the 2015 season with the team that started spring practice, we would have won at least 9 games and maybe more. We've never had a year where so many people got injured, especially at the skill positions. If we had kept only Leggett and Cottrell healthy, we would have won 7 - 8. Ah, what could have been!

Oth, all that game experience came in handy last year and will do so this year as well. Still

You are probably right but we will never know. Like Flea said it was a year like no other. The funny thing about it was that we actually moved the ball and played pretty good in games but we could not catch a break, well except for the immortal "Kick Six" that is. There were a couple of games that we really played pretty bad but I can't remember which ones. Maybe Duke?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Schedule: actually not that bad.
Tennessee to start.
The J State and UCF. Yes going to UCF will be interesting but we should win that game.
Pitt, they will have to play Penn St and OK St right before us. They could be hurting
UNC we should win but the schedule is not an issue for them
Miami is the one. they play us after they play Fla St. and Duke. They could be a bit sore but it just depends.
Wake plays FSU, Clemson, then us, they may be out for the count.
Clemson has NC St. and FSU right after us, looking ahead not sure
VT plays Miami before us.
UVA nothing special.
Duke, well they get the plus, they tune up for us as they play Army right before.
Georgia as always.

I like playing anybody after they have played Miami. I just don't like having to play Miami too. Playing them AFTER they have had their annual gang rumble with FSU should help.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll be the first to list CPJ as a pro for us. I think in general he has been very good at milking everything out of the talent he's had on offense. Injuries, turnovers, lack of depth have hurt at times. We haven't had many openers as tough as UT under him. We weren't ready to play at Kansas in 2010. At VT in 2013 was a heartbreaker in OT, but I think CPJ had the boys ready to play. Hopefully having 8-9 starters back on offense means they know what has to be done to win. We closed out last season on a roll (unlike 2009 when we lost two of the last three before going to Kansas and 2012 when we lost three of the last four before going to VT) and that usually translates into a good start.

The second pro I would list is depth. Even with an injury epidemic in 2015 and heavy losses to graduation, most of the losses were in doubt until late in the 4th qtr. We looked like the fresher team against uga in the 4th qtr last year. They were the ones hoping to hang on and run out the clock. I think UNC was the only game last year where we ran out of gas. How many did we lose off the O and D two deep from late season last year? Less than ten? We basically have one big question to answer on offense, and two much less significant ones on defense. I'm not sure if we had this much experience returning in 2009 even.

The biggest con to me is the schedule. The team could easily drop a couple before the open date and get down on themselves and have a qb controversy erupt. We better have a united and focused team with momentum before heading to Miami and Clemson in October. A four loss team by the end of October might mean no bowl game. On the other hand, beat UT, and suddenly the schedule becomes a pro with us likely being 5-0 heading into the open date.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Weaknesses to me are our interior defense, special teams, o-line depth.

Our only true pro (above the rest of the ACC) would be Mills and being 4 deep at QB.

Everything else I feel "comfortable" with overall. Maybe lack of pass rush is a weakness and experience in the secondary will be a strength, but I am more neutral on both.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Biggest Positive - Mills is a beast

Biggest Negative - Very minimal talent and depth at DL and WR

My opinions, and they may differ from yours.
First thing that came to mind (thanks xkcd)
duty_calls.png

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
But we still don't have the talent AND DEPTH at DT, in my opinion, to be a top 30 defense. I hope I am wrong. I will agree it is probably the most talent he has had under his recruitment.

Adams, Cerge-Henderson and Glanton at DT. Simmons, Freeman, St Amour, Branch, Alston and Woods. I like the talent, depth and rotation flexibility. Top 30? Don't know but for the first time since PJ's been here I don't see the d line as a weakness

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Adams, Cerge-Henderson and Glanton at DT. Simmons, Freeman, St Amour, Branch, Alston and Woods. I like the talent, depth and rotation flexibility. Top 30? Don't know but for the first time since PJ's been here I don't see the d line as a weakness
I like Branch and Adams at DT. Based on last years play, Henderson still has some things to get better at, he allows guys to get in on him and drive block him off the line a little to much imo, but he might have gotten better, he's got the talent. I haven't seen enough of Glanton to make an assessment on his play. I think Simmons, St Amour, and Freeman are a good group, but I hope another guy can step up at DE for more competition, and depth.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm more worried about LB than DL.

Yes, worried about both as per usual, but tried to pick which one concerns me the most. If we had depth and size and power at DT, the LB's would look much, much better, in my opinion.

Now, with that said, I don't believe this year is worse than the last few. I do believe this D can be a top 50 D. I just don't think there is enough talent/depth to keep all of the Ted Roof critics quiet. Our pass rush will most likely be a weakness again.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I like Branch and Adams at DT. Based on last years play, Henderson still has some things to get better at, he allows guys to get in on him and drive block him off the line a little to much imo, but he might have gotten better, he's got the talent. I haven't seen enough of Glanton to make an assessment on his play. I think Simmons, St Amour, and Freeman are a good group, but I hope another guy can step up at DE for more competition, and depth.

Adams is huge, can penetrate some, and hold the point of attack pretty well. He displayed some weaknesses in his game last year also however and I haven't seen strong evidence he can or will be an every down player yet. I believe to think so is more wishful thinking than anything. Subject to 2nd year improvements of course.

Branch is the only DT we have that I see as an every down reliable playmaker. Will be interesting to see how the other DT spot develops as well as the DE spot opposite Freeman.