The Official 2020 Color Debate Thread

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
And I wouldn’t consider any of those hats on the left “gold” besides the one on top. Tech wears a while hat with a gold GT on it pretty regularly also. Navy/black has been a part of GT athletics, and GT baseball uniforms for decades. I think the vast majority of GT baseball uniforms have used a navy/black cap well before CDH got here.
0441A770-34A3-4505-96EA-6FE0E6D5D83D.jpeg

This is almost exactly the “heritage” uni Tech wears now. Just has gold lettering with dark outline instead of dark lettering. Even includes navy/black stirrups. I also asked for someone to find another team that wears a gold cap on its uniform. I looked, I couldn’t find any current teams that do, or any historic teams that have. The closest I could find was Baylor, who wears a gold hat occasionally, and Arizona State has an “authentic” yellow one for sale but I couldn’t find any example of them wearing it in-game. “Old gold” or “Vegas gold” like Tech wears now have zero history in baseball.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
And I wouldn’t consider any of those hats on the left “gold” besides the one on top. Tech wears a while hat with a gold GT on it pretty regularly also. Navy/black has been a part of GT athletics, and GT baseball uniforms for decades. I think the vast majority of GT baseball uniforms have used a navy/black cap well before CDH got here. View attachment 7672
This is almost exactly the “heritage” uni Tech wears now. Just has gold lettering with dark outline instead of dark lettering. Even includes navy/black stirrups. I also asked for someone to find another team that wears a gold cap on its uniform. I looked, I couldn’t find any current teams that do, or any historic teams that have. The closest I could find was Baylor, who wears a gold hat occasionally, and Arizona State has an “authentic” yellow one for sale but I couldn’t find any example of them wearing it in-game. “Old gold” or “Vegas gold” like Tech wears now have zero history in baseball.
Would be cool if we did since nobody else does. But the unis look good

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
And I wouldn’t consider any of those hats on the left “gold” besides the one on top. Tech wears a while hat with a gold GT on it pretty regularly also. Navy/black has been a part of GT athletics, and GT baseball uniforms for decades. I think the vast majority of GT baseball uniforms have used a navy/black cap well before CDH got here. View attachment 7672

Shades of gold aside, I had no idea some colors were off limits in baseball or had to have some kind of verified history. Who knew? What other colors besides gold are on this list? I totally get preferring navy, even if I don't share that opinion, but that argument is silly.

The branding on those historic uniforms is still above what we have now. At least the lettering is in gold. The heritage jerseys would 1000% look more like Tech with gold lettering.

I would be willing to bet those caps in that photo were black, not blue.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Shades of gold aside, I had no idea some colors were off limits in baseball or had to have some kind of verified history. Who knew? What other colors besides gold are on this list? I totally get preferring navy, even if I don't share that opinion, but that argument is silly.

The branding on those historic uniforms is still above what we have now. At least the lettering is in gold. The heritage jerseys would 1000% look more like Tech with gold lettering.
I never said colors were off limits. There are tons of teams that wear gold jerseys, and even some that wear gold pants (FSU). But none of them wear gold caps because it doesn’t look good. Like it or not, navy is synonymous with GT baseball, and GT sports on general. 1990 National Championship, blue jerseys. 1990 Final Four, blue uniforms. Every College World Series appearance, heavily blue accented uniforms.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Because traditionally the Tech baseball team had worn black. Danny Hall's teams have worn blue, as, I believe, did Jim Morris' teams before him. Before that, however, they were black.

Well, sir, again.

It has been decided Blue is the 3rd color. Perhaps maybe a main color.

I think the point should be why the emphasis on anything other than White / Gold?

I easily could be wrong, but I have the impression over using black ( instead of blue) might be ok in your eyes.

Sorry if I misunderstand you.

Early last fall I mentioned “charcoal”, but if we must use a third color, I am not sure the onyx color would not be interesting.

Hopefully this will cause more controversy. :)

Well, sir, again.

I think the point should be why the emphasis on anything other than White / Gold?

I easily could be wrong, but I have the impression over using black ( instead of blue) might be ok in your eyes.

Early last fall I mentioned “charcoal”, but if we must use a third color, I am not sure the onyx color would not be interesting.

Yes, blue is the 3rd color, and I begrudgingly accept that. But is is NOT and SHOULD NEVER BE a main color. However, it sure seems like some now think it is. Yes, I would prefer black over blue, but only as stripes and trim, nothing more.
I sort of agree with you about the onyx. Even though that was in no way a traditional Tech look, they were still awesome looking uniforms.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Well, sir, again.

blue should never be one of our main colors, even GT said that