The Official 2019 Adidas Swag Thread

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
We all need to separate how we feel about this as Georgia Tech fans versus how manufacturers and retailers approach it:

1) Adidas is going to produce exactly what is ordered by either retailers or the schools. They aren't in the business of having excess inventory.

2) Retailers are going to order based on their data. They know exact quantity, color, style of items have been sold in the past, and that's how they will determine their orders, which are done many months in advance. Manufacturers aim to ship items for back-to-school in July/August. From this past year, it would appear that adidas puts out items in late summer and then a new batch of stuff around Christmas/basketball. Retailers DO NOT want to stock shelves in the spring and risk any excess inventory when new fall shipments arrive.

3) adidas.com (as well as nike.com, etc) are not run by the actual manufacturer. It's a white label site run by another company, and they go through the exact same process that the bookstore, Fanatics, ****'s go through to determine orders. There's no conspiracy behind six GT items on the site. Louisville, which is their flagship school, has seven items.

If you were running a store as a Georgia Tech fan, you would of course do things differently. Don't want to call anyone out, but there was a local retailer that operated more like that (reacting to what people said they'd buy vs what they actually did buy), and they are no longer in business.

As for the gold apparel, we can argue about that until we're all blue in the face (pun intended). In the first 4 months after the adidas switch, I bought a gold polo, pullover, hoodie and three t-shirts (via bookstore and fanatics). I'm not sure what else people are expecting, but that was good enough for me. Working in a business casual environment, blue or white is a lot better look in the office.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
We all need to separate how we feel about this as Georgia Tech fans versus how manufacturers and retailers approach it:

1) Adidas is going to produce exactly what is ordered by either retailers or the schools. They aren't in the business of having excess inventory.

2) Retailers are going to order based on their data. They know exact quantity, color, style of items have been sold in the past, and that's how they will determine their orders, which are done many months in advance. Manufacturers aim to ship items for back-to-school in July/August. From this past year, it would appear that adidas puts out items in late summer and then a new batch of stuff around Christmas/basketball. Retailers DO NOT want to stock shelves in the spring and risk any excess inventory when new fall shipments arrive.

3) adidas.com (as well as nike.com, etc) are not run by the actual manufacturer. It's a white label site run by another company, and they go through the exact same process that the bookstore, Fanatics, ****'s go through to determine orders. There's no conspiracy behind six GT items on the site. Louisville, which is their flagship school, has seven items.

If you were running a store as a Georgia Tech fan, you would of course do things differently. Don't want to call anyone out, but there was a local retailer that operated more like that (reacting to what people said they'd buy vs what they actually did buy), and they are no longer in business.

As for the gold apparel, we can argue about that until we're all blue in the face (pun intended). In the first 4 months after the adidas switch, I bought a gold polo, pullover, hoodie and three t-shirts (via bookstore and fanatics). I'm not sure what else people are expecting, but that was good enough for me. Working in a business casual environment, blue or white is a lot better look in the office.

I think I failed to care if Adidas makes any money. I just want some friggin sweet gear for a cheap price! Lots of choices and quality product! Hahaha screw the company I want what I want! hahaha

Milwaukee

Banned

This is a well thought out post. Me personally, I'm more concerned about the quality of what I've seen vs the quantity. You make a great point about the gold, I've seen plenty of gold actually and don't understand why others can't find it. The design is where I'm concerned, most of the gear I've seen is tacky. Stop putting text down the sleeves of anything would be a good start. The Nike selection right now for Tech gear is friggin sweet, and they don't even care. That's where my "sad" comments originate.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
This is a well thought out post. Me personally, I'm more concerned about the quality of what I've seen vs the quantity. You make a great point about the gold, I've seen plenty of gold actually and don't understand why others can't find it. The design is where I'm concerned, most of the gear I've seen is tacky. Stop putting text down the sleeves of anything would be a good start. The Nike selection right now for Tech gear is friggin sweet, and they don't even care. That's where my "sad" comments originate.

Fully agreed. The Nike gear is super nice. While the Adidas stuff seems almost... kid like.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer

Agreed. The sideline polos have been really sharp, and I've thought the physical quality has been pretty good (the material on season ticket t-shirt is my favorite). I'm not a fan of all the designs, but keep in mind that adidas is killing it with youth demographics. I'm willing to accept that they aren't targeting to a 40-something suburbanite :)

BTW, I've seen a few nice t-shirts designs at the bookstore that aren't available online.

Milwaukee

Banned
Last edited:

Dirty Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
So why not just buy Nike branded items?
Why is everyone obsessed with stocking up on adidas? Adidas ain’t paying my bills.

OlaJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
So why not just buy Nike branded items?
Why is everyone obsessed with stocking up on adidas? Adidas ain’t paying my bills.
I have no problem with people buying nike or under armor. I just feel like whoever outfits the team will outfit me. I've always been an Adidas guy anyway although I do wish the Converse Weapon would make a comeback! Adidas hasn't even been with us a year yet. They are getting a feel for what we as fans like and the will produce accordingly.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
The Adidas deal was always more important for the SAs so I haven’t been to upset with the lack of selection. There’s still Plenty of Tech Nike gear that I buy and wear, and the only Adidas Items I own are One TShirt and Pullover and all the Football Jerseys. Just give it some time though, we should get a summer roll out soon.