The National Championship Game

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
As a fan of the sport I respect a lot of what Kirby has done with the Bulldogs. They play tough smash mouth football and have a tough minded well disciplined team. They don't beat themselves. They are exactly trying to be what BAMA is. They don't have the depth of BAMA particularly defensively and the X Factor is the QB who has been there before. BAMA wins this boring snoozefest.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
This will test my theory that it is not possible for me to dislike UGA and their fans anymore than I already do! Can my dislike reach new and unprecedented levels?

Judging by the rate the NC fever pitch as been rising so far...Monday is going to be a new test.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Judging by the rate the NC fever pitch as been rising so far...Monday is going to be a new test.

IF Uga wins the natty, based on personal past experience, we will only have to hear about it for roughly 10-12 years. After that, it sort of becomes gauche to talk about, display on T-shirts and bumper stickers, etc. For example, I still have a 1990 national championship T-shirt in my closet. It no longer sees use in everyday life - I only wear it to weddings and funerals.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
IF Uga wins the natty, based on personal past experience, we will only have to hear about it for roughly 10-12 years. After that, it sort of becomes gauche to talk about, display on T-shirts and bumper stickers, etc. For example, I still have a 1990 national championship T-shirt in my closet. It no longer sees use in everyday life - I only wear it to weddings and funerals.
I remember in the early 1990s seeing an Alabama fan that had a 1979 National Champions plate on his car:LOL:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I remember in the early 1990s seeing an Alabama fan that had a 1979 National Champions plate on his car:LOL:

Mike, I live in TN so the "10-12 year" hypothesis was solidified here. That's how long it took for the NC license plates to disappear after their natty in '98 iirc. However, the idea was formed whilst living in Ga. after their '80 one. So we have to hope that Bama wins. Or rely on corollary 1 to the law of 10-12. Corollary 1 says the period of suffering can be diminished by only 2 things - A) the passage of the prerequisite 10-12 years* (see footnote) or B)winning our own natty after theirs. In terms of importance, the most recent natty trumps any others.

*Footnote - I am in my "autumn" years. The passage of time has seemed to speed up. However, an event like Uga winning the natty will make the next 10 years seem like an eternity. I could move back to Georgia to make it feel even worse. (I could also make time slow down by travelling near the speed of light, but that's not likely to happen.) So the next decade could actually "feel" longer than the actual elapsed time. So there is that. I am trying to be the "glass half full" guy here.

However, my most likely strategy is to cheer for Bama. Something I never thought would happen. Of course, earlier in life, I never thought I get married or "get out" of GT either.So, the word "never" should cease to be part of my vocabulary.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Mike, I live in TN so the "10-12 year" hypothesis was solidified here. That's how long it took for the NC license plates to disappear after their natty in '98 iirc. However, the idea was formed whilst living in Ga. after their '80 one. So we have to hope that Bama wins. Or rely on corollary 1 to the law of 10-12. Corollary 1 says the period of suffering can be diminished by only 2 things - A) the passage of the prerequisite 10-12 years* (see footnote) or B)winning our own natty after theirs. In terms of importance, the most recent natty trumps any others.

*Footnote - I am in my "autumn" years. The passage of time has seemed to speed up. However, an event like Uga winning the natty will make the next 10 years seem like an eternity. I could move back to Georgia to make it feel even worse. (I could also make time slow down by travelling near the speed of light, but that's not likely to happen.) So the next decade could actually "feel" longer than the actual elapsed time. So there is that. I am trying to be the "glass half full" guy here.

However, my most likely strategy is to cheer for Bama. Something I never thought would happen. Of course, earlier in life, I never thought I get married or "get out" of GT either.So, the word "never" should cease to be part of my vocabulary.
I agree root for Bammer(y)

This will test my theory that it is not possible for me to dislike UGA and their fans anymore than I already do! Can my dislike reach new and unprecedented levels?
If they win the NC tomorrow night, you hate dislike for them will go through the roof. You think they are unsufferable now, wait till all you hear for 365 days is about them and how great they are (or think they are). ROLL TIDE !!!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If they win the NC tomorrow night, you hate dislike for them will go through the roof. You think they are unsufferable now, wait till all you hear for 365 days is about them and how great they are (or think they are). ROLL TIDE !!!

I lived through that once already. I was in school when they won their last one. Don't know your age but that was indeed painful for about a decade (about the time we won ours under Ross). I had hoped to never have to suffer through that again.

I lived through that once already. I was in school when they won their last one. Don't know your age but that was indeed painful for about a decade (about the time we won ours under Ross). I had hoped to never have to suffer through that again.
I suffered through that one too, and yes, 1990 ended it. But times have changed. In 1980 they still had an average sized stadium, and Walmart wasn't prevalent selling all their crap. Now they have a 92,000 seat stadium that could probably be 150,000 and full of rednecks every week. And Walmart and other stores carry nothing but mutt s**t. Bama needs to end it now, because without Gurley and Michel, I don't think they will be in contention next year.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I suffered through that one too, and yes, 1990 ended it. But times have changed. In 1980 they still had an average sized stadium, and Walmart wasn't prevalent selling all their crap. Now they have a 92,000 seat stadium that could probably be 150,000 and full of rednecks every week. And Walmart and other stores carry nothing but mutt s**t. Bama needs to end it now, because without Gurley and Michel, I don't think they will be in contention next year.
I don't know uga's starting lineup I could care less about Gurley and Michel but like most any teams it start with a good defense and a good offensive line. So I would need to see next year how many of their starters are coming back on defense and the offensive line. ROLL TIDE .

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck

If the win, the only upside for me is that I will not hear "1980!" anymore from that one guy that would always yell that when backed into a football talk corner. No matter where you start, he would always end up there, saying it over and over until you moved on.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I have a coworker that is an Auburn fan. He told me he is actually pulling for a Bama win since the UGA fans would be more annoying to live among for the next few years.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Ditto. Their offense just doesn't give me much confidence at all.
Their offense doesn't give me a lot of confidence either, but the way their defense looked against Clemson makes me feel that they will win by 3 scores. They looked healthy and mean.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I’m with ya 65. I honestly don’t care to watch it. My friends up here in Michigan don’t get it. I try to explain to them that as much as you hate Ohio St or MSU/U of M it’s twice as much hate to me. Then they finally understand. No UM fan would watch/pull for Ohio. Adding Bama to the mix makes it sooooo much worse.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I will not watch, I don't want to damage my TV if Ugag wins( I may throw a chair against it)
If you go to those extremes, imagine what Uncle Lou will do if Bama wins!! (for a refresher or if someone is new to this board and are unfamiliar with Uncle Lou and how he is the epitome of a nadlicker fan, see

and ).