The most disappointing stat from yesterday was...attendance.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone who makes their decisions (any decision) based on the media obviously doesn't know squat.
Are people just NOT supposed to have an opinion on CPJ until they meet him? That's unlikely.

CPJ definitely comes off as a "Curmudgeon" - for some, its endearing (myself included); for others, it may be a turn-off in the same way that some people get into Lane Kiffins twitter account and some probably hate it.

Are people just NOT supposed to have an opinion on CPJ until they meet him? That's unlikely.

CPJ definitely comes off as a "Curmudgeon" - for some, its endearing (myself included); for others, it may be a turn-off in the same way that some people get into Lane Kiffins twitter account and some probably hate it.
People should base their OPINION on interviews in which the person doing the interviewing shows some class and knowledge of the game. In those kinds of interviews, CPJ is total class. In those in which he is asked the same ole questions as always, or in which the interviewer knows next to nothing about football, CPJ may act curmudgeonly, but IMO after so many like that, I don't blame him. I refer again to Saban's post game interview Saturday night. If that's all one had to go by from him, one would say the same about him that some say about CPJ. I personally thought Saban was justified, as I do with CPJ. But like you, even when he displays traits like that, I find him all the more endearing. To be honest though, when I see a Tech fan (supposedly) referring to CPJ as a grumpy curmudgeon (and not in an endearing way), it pisses me off, because that person obviously doesn't know squat.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
The problem with our fan base is, and always has been, the condescending attitude of the “elitist Tech fans” and the majority of our fan base. Maybe this is a problem at every school but our fans are dbags. We’re not the only great academic school trying to compete in big time college football. We attack the intellect of the sidewalk fan on a regular basis and cannibalize our own. Make a thread calling into question why more people don’t show up to games, then attack the fans who voiced their complaints and why they’d rather stay home to watch a game. Obviously this isn’t a big deal if only our elitist fans felt this way but the administration doesn’t really make things easier either. I don’t really care, I know the games I’m coming to already and will give the other tickets away. I bought season tickets to support Todd’s big picture vision. But every time I go to the opening day noon kick against a patsy I promise it’s the last time I’ll bake in the sun for a bad football game but I seem to come back for more.

You want to put butts in the seats?
Be better at football
Be better at football more than once every 5 years
Don’t play a cupcake
Don’t make people line up for free water
Don’t implement fake security measures that slow the flow

Address those, in that order, and butts will be in seats. But this football team has not earned the trust of the average Tech fan.

What makes you a good fan? Serious question. I’m assuming that since everyone else in the fan base is bad then you must see yourself as good. So what makes you good? I’ve perused your past posts and they would lead a reasonable person to believe that you hate UGA but you hate the GT fanbase just as bad, if not worse. You don’t like our mascot, and you think the administration is full of incompetent people. Does this make you a good fan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with our fan base is, and always has been, the condescending attitude of the “elitist Tech fans” and the majority of our fan base. Maybe this is a problem at every school but our fans are dbags. We’re not the only great academic school trying to compete in big time college football. We attack the intellect of the sidewalk fan on a regular basis and cannibalize our own. Make a thread calling into question why more people don’t show up to games, then attack the fans who voiced their complaints and why they’d rather stay home to watch a game. Obviously this isn’t a big deal if only our elitist fans felt this way but the administration doesn’t really make things easier either. I don’t really care, I know the games I’m coming to already and will give the other tickets away. I bought season tickets to support Todd’s big picture vision. But every time I go to the opening day noon kick against a patsy I promise it’s the last time I’ll bake in the sun for a bad football game but I seem to come back for more.

Be better at football
Don’t play a cupcake

Address those, in that order, and butts will be in seats. But this football team has not earned the trust of the average Tech fan.

Alum '92 here and I totally agree with this.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Declining attendance in college football isn't remotely limited to GT, fyi.

That said, a nooner vs a cupcake will almost never put meats in seats.

giphy.gif

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
It was a hot as hell Saturday noon game on a holiday weekend against an opponent that Tech shouldn't be scheduling in the first place.

With things like AirBnB, Uber, and discount carriers it's almost as cheap for us to take a vacation somewhere nice for the long weekend than travel to Atlanta for the game. I think attendance will improve once conference play starts. If Clemson is an evening game that will be a packed house.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Bottom line, people are generally make decisions on rational self-interest. People will go to a Tech game if they see it as the most reward (utility in Econ speak) for their time and money (resources). There are people who get a massive amount of reward just from being at a Tech game, win/lose, sun/rain, cold/hot. Tech Football is a core part of your life and identity (lot's of you on this board).

For any school, most fans will go to a game if it's the best use of their time and money. For people who live their lives around their football team, all they need is the game, the rest is just background. The UGAs and Bamas have 10s and 10s of thousands of those fans. We have 10-20,000, tops? That level of fandom just doesn't develop overnight. It takes years of positive experiences to ingrain that commitment.

Being realistic; if Tech wants to fill the stadium, they have to raise the utility and/or lower the resource cost. For many fans the overall experience of staying home and watching on TV is the higher utility than going down to the game. For all the reasons people have mentioned: our stadium is hot and uncomfortable in the sun, the lines (for everything, entry, food, water, restrooms) are too long, concessions are mediocre and expensive, the on field product hasn't been great the last few years, etc. Not to mention things largely outside of Tech's control that detract from the experience; like traffic, parking, petty crime...

If gross attendance is Tech's goal (and I don't think it necessarily should be), then cut the costs of parking, tickets, concessions, partner with Uber, Lyft and Marta to give transit discounts, make the "cost" in time and money as low as possible. And a better experience would help too.

If the goal is maximum revenue (which is what I think it should be), then make the experience of going to the game much better. Lower the gross attendance goal and get more money from fewer fans for a premium experience. Make 75% of the stadium "club seating" and cut the capacity some. Install real (wider, more comfortable) seats, better concessions, some air conditioned areas in the concourses with TV monitors, sell alcohol, let people bring stuff in, look into installing sun shades, more overall staff to serve customers across the board...

Look at how much better the Brave's attendence has been since they moved to the new ballpark with a much better overall experience. It's a smaller park, but they're filling it up and making more money per fan.

Just for example: if we were able to fill the stadium with 45,000, that are paying 50% more for a better experience, we make ~18% more revenue vs a 55,000 sellout baseline. (Assuming the marginal cost of the experience improvement isn't prohibitive.) And I'd say make some of the upper stands walk-up $5 tickets for the "classic" experience.

(I'm an economics nerd)

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
Great post, and I completely agree. Among your suggestions, the one I would most love for us to do is what UNC did with Kenan and go with proper seating for the entire stadium.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
The number of security people on hand to do the work IS in Tech's control. They contract the security people; they should require more on hand.

Be better at football
Don’t play a cupcake

You have this exactly backwards. If you want more than one good season every five years, get your *** in the seats.

Deleted member 2897

You have this exactly backwards. If you want more than one good season every five years, get your *** in the seats.

Yup. Although I would say fans should be at every game regardless of record. Just look at our basketball team - you can make a home field advantage for your team.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I know this is off the thread topic (attendance); but talk of cupcake opponents, gets to something I'd really like changed.

Can we play a 12 game P5 schedule? I'd prefer 10 conference games, plus UGA & 1 more P5 (home/away...doesn't have to be consecutive seasons).

....& allow for (if really needed) a "preseason" / exhibition game v FCS opponent in late August.

I'm assuming this will be met by those with clearer "big NCAA picture" with all kinds of reasons it isn't feasible. But this post is about what I WANT. :)

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I know this is off the thread topic (attendance); but talk of cupcake opponents, gets to something I'd really like changed.

Can we play a 12 game P5 schedule? I'd prefer 10 conference games, plus UGA & 1 more P5 (home/away...doesn't have to be consecutive seasons).

....& allow for (if really needed) a "preseason" / exhibition game v FCS opponent in late August.

I'm assuming this will be met by those with clearer "big NCAA picture" with all kinds of reasons it isn't feasible. But this post is about what I WANT. :)

You are aware that NO P5 team does this? We'd all like to see the best match ups but for a number of reasons it's not going to happen.