The most disappointing stat from yesterday was...attendance.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I know this is off the thread topic (attendance); but talk of cupcake opponents, gets to something I'd really like changed.

Can we play a 12 game P5 schedule? I'd prefer 10 conference games, plus UGA & 1 more P5 (home/away...doesn't have to be consecutive seasons).

....& allow for (if really needed) a "preseason" / exhibition game v FCS opponent in late August.

I'm assuming this will be met by those with clearer "big NCAA picture" with all kinds of reasons it isn't feasible. But this post is about what I WANT. :)

I’d be okay with this if everyone would quit having tuneup games during Week 1. Some teams have four tuneup games during the season...looking at you, UGA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

Last year when UCF canceled, we tried to play literally anybody in the country. We said we’d pay our own way and play at their place and they wouldn’t have to play at our place later. Nobody would play us. We are @USF because Alabama and then Ole Miss canceled on us.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I know this is off the thread topic (attendance); but talk of cupcake opponents, gets to something I'd really like changed.

Can we play a 12 game P5 schedule? I'd prefer 10 conference games, plus UGA & 1 more P5 (home/away...doesn't have to be consecutive seasons).

....& allow for (if really needed) a "preseason" / exhibition game v FCS opponent in late August.

I'm assuming this will be met by those with clearer "big NCAA picture" with all kinds of reasons it isn't feasible. But this post is about what I WANT. :)

What you are suggesting would either require the NCAA to get involved in mandating scheduling or is the equivalent of "Can we all date Victoria Secret models?" (I'm assuming this will be met by those with clearer 'big picture").

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Last year when UCF canceled, we tried to play literally anybody in the country. We said we’d pay our own way and play at their place and they wouldn’t have to play at our place later. Nobody would play us. We are @USF because Alabama and then Ole Miss canceled on us.

Man, I forgot about the last part. Bottom line is that nobody wants to see us on their schedule.

I read an article that said GT is the Taco Bell of college football because we give the same three formations in a wide variety of plays and you feel like crap the day after you play us.

It was a hot as hell Saturday noon game on a holiday weekend against an opponent that Tech shouldn't be scheduling in the first place.

With things like AirBnB, Uber, and discount carriers it's almost as cheap for us to take a vacation somewhere nice for the long weekend than travel to Atlanta for the game. I think attendance will improve once conference play starts. If Clemson is an evening game that will be a packed house.

Agreed. I'm taking my kids and SO to UVA game in November. (4) section 204 seats: $245. We haven't parked nor eaten yet so the total will probably be closer to $400. That's to sit in nosebleed and watch us destroy the freaking UVA Cadavers.

that's ****ing ridiculous.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck

I really don't understand why the ACC doesn't do this. Go to 6 division games plus 4 out of division. Out of division games don't count as conference games except as a tie breaker for the division title. This would at least generate more looks at other teams in the conference and really help Tech attendance wise as we probably have a large contingent of conference alumni in the area. It just makes too much sense not to do it

LibertyTurns

Banned
Agreed. I'm taking my kids and SO to UVA game in November. (4) section 204 seats: $245. We haven't parked nor eaten yet so the total will probably be closer to $400. That's to sit in nosebleed and watch us destroy the freaking UVA Cadavers.

Typical GT millionaire comment. Rolling in money but complaining about parting with a few bills.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I really don't understand why the ACC doesn't do this. Go to 6 division games plus 4 out of division. Out of division games don't count as conference games except as a tie breaker for the division title. This would at least generate more looks at other teams in the conference and really help Tech attendance wise as we probably have a large contingent of conference alumni in the area. It just makes too much sense not to do it

It would handicap the league for playoffs and bowls. It would hit GT harder because of our georgie rivalry.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I was expecting more just because it was a season opener. It just seemed to signal that folks are less than hopeful about this season. UGA was 99.46% filled (92746/93246) against Austin Peay while we were 72.22% filled (39719/55000).

I was there upper west north end. I didn’t check the West stands but everything else on the other 3 sides were not 3/4 full. I’d wager attendance was 60% capacity...max.

Deleted member 2897

We can’t look at it this way. We have stop calculating cost of production. That’s money to help pay for things for the football team. It’s worth every penny of that and more. Dang injuneers.

Milwaukee

Banned

Dude it costs me a grip (atleast 1K) everytime I come down for a game, you're getting off easy. ;)

When I lived in Bama and Georgia I did not miss a game under any circumstance. I hit 2 or 3 games every year and I friggin live in Wisconsin. That's just how I roll.

Last edited:

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Why did you quote me in your post? I am in my seats for EVERY game.
Not sure. I just hit the button, but it certainly wasn’t addressed to you. I’m so over people who think the successful teams are that way because their fans withheld support until they were successful. They can’t seem to understand that this isn’t a chicken/egg scenario.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This is "duh" discussion.
We are putting out a questionable product-(and yesterday didn't change that).It's TERRIBLY hot at noon.(it could have been played at nite). We played a nothing team.
NO mystery at all.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Finally, I would identify our sidewalk fans and learn about them. Why Tech, especially in a town dominated by UGA? Ask them what we can do to help them recruit more fans. I have the utmost respect for the sidewalk fans as they have chosen to support our program for no intrinsic reason. I have lived in Orlando and now in Maryland and have never once considered buying UM or UCF tickets, so to those sidewalk fans I tip my hat to you.
I believe the future to reviving our program with butts in seats is to market to the majority of poeple that live in downtown...African Americans. Atlanta is the new Black Mecca and to not reach out to them does a great injustice to our ability to put butts in seats. Advertise some $10 upper north tix on Marta.

The falcons stadium was rocking with these folks and a lot of them were turned off by the ridiculous increases in ticket prices.

Downside-old white curmudgeons that would rather not have an infiltration of “those people”

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe the future to reviving our program with butts in seats is to market to the majority of poeple that live in downtown...African Americans. Atlanta is the new Black Mecca and to not reach out to them does a great injustice to our ability to put butts in seats. Advertise some $10 upper north tix on Marta.

The falcons stadium was rocking with these folks and a lot of them were turned off by the ridiculous increases in ticket prices.

Downside-old white curmudgeons that would rather not have an infiltration of “those people”
We lost a huge marketing opportunity with the falcons pricing folks out and braves leaving Atlanta. We should have had billboards all over the city promoting ourselves as Atlanta's hometown team.