The most disappointing stat from yesterday was...attendance.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Guys: I really believe another poster was correct when he said our fanbase is NOT growing, but declining.

I raised my kids to love GT, but they both went to other schools. I can convince my daughter to go to a game once in awhile, but she has her life and is not close to the ATL. The students that the institute is graduating, especially in the past 20-25 years, is no where near into football, in general, as many previous generations were. I don't have the answers, but I do believe the issue is a real issue. A lot of our most passionate, $$ donating fans are older, and many have already died off.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
The students that the institute is graduating, especially in the past 20-25 years, is no where near into football, in general, as many previous generations were. I don't have the answers, but I do believe the issue is a real issue. A lot of our most passionate, $$ donating fans are older, and many have already died off.

I agree that this is probably part of the issue. Some people look at college football like I look at soccer and NASCAR...BOOORING!!! Maybe pushing intramural football could spark interest in football on the student side. After every home game, I walk back to the W21 lot and see gobs of students partying and not caring at all about what just happened in the stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Guys: I really believe another poster was correct when he said our fanbase is NOT growing, but declining.

I raised my kids to love GT, but they both went to other schools. I can convince my daughter to go to a game once in awhile, but she has her life and is not close to the ATL. The students that the institute is graduating, especially in the past 20-25 years, is no where near into football, in general, as many previous generations were. I don't have the answers, but I do believe the issue is a real issue. A lot of our most passionate, $$ donating fans are older, and many have already died off.

We have younger and middle aged fans and alums that live in Atlanta area and have the means to purchase tickets and donate, but they don’t. I’ve spoken with several. They all have sad sack excuses and most all are negative on the program.

Don’t complain if you aren’t going to pony up and be part of helping make things better.

bennyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not to be that guy, but every time our coach says: We wont compete for a national championship here. I lose interest in the program. Its not his fault. It is what it is.

Also, I can only go to 2-3 games a year. So a beat down on some no name team isn't the first game on my list.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Not to be that guy, but every time our coach says: We wont compete for a national championship here. I lose interest in the program. Its not his fault. It is what it is.

Also, I can only go to 2-3 games a year. So a beat down on some no name team isn't the first game on my list.
Agreed. I have posted this before. Scheduling a team like Alcorn State might as well be an exhibition with free admission. It does NOTHING for our visibility, unless we would lose, and then not in a good way. Tenn. vs GT , even though we lost, was a much better way to start our season, IMO. We are barely relevant locally, because we are barely visible. We need to schedule a good to better team , work our tails off all summer and then go out and beat them in the first game. Get some " buzz" to start the season. Many other teams don't need to get people to notice them , but we ain't some teams.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
The last 10 years we have won about 51% of what are considered P5 games

We opened against a horrible opponent.

We played at the same time a major freak show was happenibg downtown.

We opened the same day as the Chik-Fil-A classic a few miles away with, I believe, 2 top ten teams playing.

GT men can in no way be so stupid as to think this is a recipe for any sort of success. Can they?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I'm confused. Our coach has never said we won't compete for a national championship here. In fact, he's said the opposite.

Yet, you still seem to have lost interest.

My guess is that you've never been as much a fan of GT as a fan of yourself.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Just keep winning, keep making positive changes like we have the past year. For a dying fan base we sure as hell have raised some big money fast. GT was in a slump last couple of years but they are crawling out of it. It’s gonna take some time but it will happen. Fans will come back when we restore winning traditions, and create new traditions with new Gameday improvements that appeal to the younger fan base.

Last edited:

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Just keep winning, keep making positive changes like we have the past year. For a dying fan base we sure as hell have raised some big money fast. GT was in a slump last couple of years but they are crawling out of it. It’s gonna take some time but it will happen. Fans will come back when we restore winning traditions, and create new traditions with new Gameday improvements that appeal to the younger fan base.

Hope you are right, SW. I want to see the cup as half full, but the engineer in me seems to see the half empty cup too many times.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Just keep winning, keep making positive changes like we have the past year. For a dying fan base we sure as hell have raised some big money fast. GT was in a slump post last couple but they are crawling out of it. It’s gonna take some time but it will happen. Fans will come back when we restore winning traditions, and create new traditions with new Gameday improvements that appeal to the younger fan base.

I agree. I wish folks would have a little faith and come back now, regardless of the weather or kickoff times. I think a rowdy fan base would do a lot for the confidence of these guys. I mean, they have to deal with a lot as Tech athletes, on the field and in the classroom. I want them to feel appreciated and a packed house would go a long way toward recruiting. And I’m not talking about being packed with UGA or Clemson fans. Go Jackets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

This times 1,000. But not many here will listen.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
The last 10 years we have won about 51% of what are considered P5 games

We opened against a horrible opponent.

We played at the same time a major freak show was happenibg downtown.

We opened the same day as the Chik-Fil-A classic a few miles away with, I believe, 2 top ten teams playing.

GT men can in no way be so stupid as to think this is a recipe for any sort of success. Can they?
My point exactly........we were INVISIBLE.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I will say the stadium is always empty at the start because most fans are still at the Varsity (I got held up there and missed the first TD drive), their tailgates, or the greekhouses.

May be the kick off time but I think most Americans if not just Tech fans like to cut timings close and usually end up a bit late to the game.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
We have a block of 8 seats in the east upper deck. Of the 8, only two of us attended. Why? My wife begged off because she has sat through enough of the noon kickoff games and is fed up with the heat. My other two tickets were at a bachelor weekend in Savannah. I could not find anyone that wanted to go with me to the game. The other two spent time with their family over sitting in the heat watching Tech play a FCS team. We are fans with 30 years of season tickets.

Noon kickoff, near 90 degree heat and sun, FCS competition, may not be good reasons, but is why 6 seats went empty yesterday.

Anyone know if the stands in Athens and/or Clemson were 100% full?