The future of GT football

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think the most depressing thing about the game Saturday was the players who were cheerleading on the sidelines. I fear that this means that Collins actually thinks that enthusiasm on the bench translates into performance on the field.

News flash: it doesn't. It never has. Good teams know what they are doing and know that being fired up lasts as long as the first hit. Then you get down to business, asap.

We need to get serious about the game and I mean right now. If that means this occasionally

upload_2019-9-15_18-4-8.png

then so be it. We need to get rid of this "let's have a good time on the sidelines" stuff and I mean right now.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Knox you can belittle our players all you want, which is pretty messed up since I'm sure some come on here, but at the end if the day you're wrong and our current struggles have way more to do with coaching than players.

Not wrong at all. This is the least talented GT team I’ve seen since I started following. It’s barely debatable with 2015.

The cupboard is bare.

I have a feeling you aren’t old enough to have seen real talent at Tech.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t coach Collins state in an interview or call in show earlier in the year that they do not run the opposing team’s offense in practice? Something to the effect of practicing against our own offensive and defensive schemes? I swear he has stated that.

I can hear the interview now: "We don't run the opponent's scheme. That's just not part of how we do it. We run our own program and figure out the strengths and weaknesses playing against ourselves. If we can reach deep inside every one of us and be the player we need to be, we'll win. We just don't spend a lot of time thinking about the Other Guy."

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Not wrong at all. This is the least talented GT team I’ve seen since I started following. It’s barely debatable with 2015.

The cupboard is bare.

It's like I said to another fan as I left the game in the third quarter, "What would the score be using the same players and doing what they are doing to us? 28 - 0 at the half!"

He nodded. Of course. The evidence was right there in front of us both.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It's like I said to another fan as I left the game in the third quarter, "What would the score be using the same players and doing what they are doing to us? 28 - 0 at the half!"

He nodded. Of course. The evidence was right there in front of us both.

We would have held them to 0? I’m assuming you were drunk. It would’ve probably looked like Air Force in the bowl game a 14-7 loss.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Well:
2015"as a bad roster?
Oh, great. I went to every home game and ND in 15. (We ran same offense for years and lost every acc game save the miracle on techwood dr. I thought they were pretty good roster and thought their record had more to do with injuries and other teams adjusting to our 2014 scheme. ).
This group now seems like they are talented but not game ready for the new scheme. Add to that some recent ol injuries with a brand new quickly hired staff and 19 could need some miracles.

I hope they stick together like the 15 team did as they becale the 16 team
BE POSITIVE -youvguys act like engineers.
9296.jpeg

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Love your optimism, young man. Other than hope, I wish you could give me something tangible to believe anything will improve soon, though.

I know it is not much, but we do have a head start on the best recruiting class than we have had since 2017. We will need about 3 more like it and we are not going to get those by losing to FCS teams and having 2 or 3 loss records. I have faith that this ship can be righted but it may get a whole lot worse before it gets better.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

The cupboard is bare.

I am at 66 and I have seen Tech teams with a lot less talent , the cupboard looks bare because of the Offensive coordinator But CGC is the head coach so it's his responsibility

Animal02

Banned
I know it is not much, but we do have a head start on the best recruiting class than we have had since 2017. We will need about 3 more like it and we are not going to get those by losing to FCS teams and having 2 or 3 loss records. I have faith that this ship can be righted but it may get a whole lot worse before it gets better.
Top 10 recruiting classes cannot overcome bad coaching.................just look a little south across the border.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
@ilovetheoption said it truly in another thread, and I'm paraphrasing here, todays loss really only hurts insofar as it impacts recruiting. Hopefully CGC can spin this as proof we need difference makers stat and float the instant playing time lure in front of them.

Our future hinges on CGC bringing in top 25 classes yearly, with a 1-2 year grace period with top 30-35 being acceptable.

Otherwise, we may have hired the football version of Josh Pastner.

Could be worse...could be the Tech version of Derek Dooly or our version of Ron Zook who was similarly a big recruiter and players coach with a knack for losing big games with dumb decisions. He also beat the Dwags two out of three while at Florida so
Top 10 recruiting classes cannot overcome bad coaching.................just look a little south across the border.

Probably not but Ron Zook had three very good recruiting classes that were the basis for Urban's national championship team at Florida. Then again, I am not convinced that Coach Collins or anyone else will be able to consistently get top 20 recruiting classes at Tech. Not without some major concessions and backing from the Hill which is not likely.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
If GT doesn't beat Temple i don't think they win again until the Gardner Webb game on September 12th 2020.

and how do we all deal with that ? I was in despair at the the end of Gailey, IF we do what you said we will not get rid of CGC's for at least 3 more years, and I actually think we would keep him a full 7 b/c of the money.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
and how do we all deal with that ? I was in despair at the the end of Gailey, IF we do what you said we will not get rid of CGC's for at least 3 more years, and I actually think we would keep him a full 7 b/c of the money.
I'll probably go insane since i can't drink:banghead:;). If GT is that bad Geoff Collins will be canned in December 2020 and GT will take the loss of money with his buyout:grumpy: