The future of GT football

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll probably go insane since i can't drink:banghead:;). If GT is that bad Geoff Collins will be canned in December 2020 and GT will take the loss of money with his buyout:grumpy:

I really don't want to go to far down this road b/c I think and hope this turns around. I think CGC's can adapt its just frustrating watching it, especially when I know we are better than we have been.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
and how do we all deal with that ? I was in despair at the the end of Gailey, IF we do what you said we will not get rid of CGC's for at least 3 more years, and I actually think we would keep him a full 7 b/c of the money.
I think this is why the Mercedes Benz deal was done. We needed a way to replenish the rainy day fund

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
How does this replenish the rainy day fund? I’m not fully aware of the specifics of our Benz dome deal.

That may end up costing money.

"The athletic department estimates that the five games will generate $10 million more in revenue than if the games were to be held at Bobby Dodd Stadium, according to documents obtained in an open-records request. Moreover, the projection is based off of conservative ticket-sales figures."

Per the AJC

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Every one of Tech’s remaining opponents are projected bowl teams this year in Brett McMurphy’s Stadium Staff posting today. Needless to say, Tech is not projected as a bowl team.

You understand that being bowl eligible does not mean what it once did. It has become sort of like a participation trophy for college football. I am not in awe, ever, of facing Duke, UNC, Virginia, or even Virginia Tech. Let them be "bowl eligible" and us without a win and I see it as an opportunity to get a win, nothing more nothing less. The only schools that give me pause in the ACC are Miami (only because of their overall talent), FSU (same but maybe less so now) and Clemson. The rest of them are just wannabes with near empty trophy cases that like to talk smack while waiting for round ball practice to start.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Bobby Ross's record at Tech, with Ralph Friedgen as offensive coordinator, and George O'leary as defense coordinator.....

Georgia Tech 2–9 0–6 8th
1988 Georgia Tech 3–8 0–7 8th
1989 Georgia Tech 7–4 4–3 T–4th
1990 Georgia Tech 11–0–1 6–0–1 1st W Florida Citrus 1 2
1991 Georgia Tech 8–5 5–2 2nd W Aloha
Georgia Tech: 31–26–1 15–18–1

His overall record may not have been great but let me tell you if Bobby Ross and Ralph Friedgen had time to prepare like a bowl game, it was hell to be an opposing defensive coordinator. They would find a weakness and exploit it until you did something about it.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Here’s all I’m going to say:

One thing we all have in common is that we want Georgia Tech to win football games. The fact is, whether you like him or hate him, whether you think he’s good or bad, Geoff Collins is going to be Tech’s coach for a minimum of 3 more years. Probably more like 5 if I’m being honest.

You can either 1) stop supporting him, quit going to the games, quit supporting the players and make it harder for them to win games over the next few years or 2) continue to support him and the players, keep going to the games, and make it easier for them to win games.

Option number 2 does not mean you can’t criticize Coach Collins. I have plenty of criticisms from today’s game. But, since he’s going to be our coach for the next few years whether you like it or not, it’s best that our fan base continues to support him and hope he can turn it around.

Is he going to make our program elite? Literally not a single person on this board can say one way or the other for sure, as no one knows the future. I know many of you think you know exactly what will happen, but you don’t.

But instead of making his job more difficult, I’m going to continue to support him and hope it does turn it around.
My same attitude for every coach we’ve had right up until the day they left.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If, and I say "if", recruits do begin to jump ship, even a few, just wait. It will be the fault of "negative" fans/alums. I hope we hold onto all of the guys and pick up a few more top guys, but if we don't, "negativity" will be blamed.

It will never be anything else (small fanbase, poor results (i.e. Citadel), few majors, have to "play" school, etc.) for the alternate reality folks. It certainly won't be CGC or the staff's fault.
Fan negativity on forums/social media, “fans” booing their own team and coaches and empty stadiums DO make a difference in recruiting. These kids see this stuff and it affects them.