The future of GT football

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes we were acting like a D1 school. Just because we weren't Miami esk like we are now in all the wrong departments, doesn't mean we were not acting like a D1 school. We were a pretty good program. And you were lucky and helped to make a few pretty nice teams. You surely cannot be happy with the apparent direction the team is going from yesterday. I don't understand your hate for the previous coaching.
I can't understand why he continued to play for the previous staff, considering his hate.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
For all the CPJ people, he was great for us. He retired. If you saw his expression last season you could tell he was not enjoying it anymore. He needed time away.

We had a chance to hire a proven professional who was a Tech guy. Would have had Godsey as his OC. Most of you were extremely negative. He was not exciting etc. complained loudly to the AD. He wins this game though.

We had a chance to hire the guy who is exciting but he was too controversial. And he is very controversial but he has gotten the experience now and is showing he can run a program. We were so concerned about alumni feedback TS acted like he didn’t even talk to him.

We got a guy who is exciting but is learning on the job. He loves and believes in Tech. He can recruit. He hired some solid coaches in all but one area. The guy in waiting is our Oline coach. We should have followed the pattern here and hired Godsey. Maybe he turned it down or we did not want to sacrifice Key this season.

Personally think he needs some one on one time with Big Bee. Fun is good but discipline in game time is important. Bring Ralph in too. One of the reasons I was ok with this hire is he said he would reach out to his mentors. Being humble right now would be good.

On a side note playing TO at qb us a disservice to him. He is a pro level athlete. Let’s get him in a place where he can end up playing on Sundays. Let’s get the line better at basics at least pass blocking and give LJ time to grow.

I was hoping to see us get better every game. This was a Ross and O’Leary focus and pattern when they were reworking things. We did not this week. We have two weeks to get better. I want to see that occur.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
To an extent, but look at Mike Leach. Took him a while but it finally hit him that he may need to have competent run game to be successful

Mike Leach was successful at Texas Tech. He got ran off by a powerful alumni. Now all the others want him back.
He has done a masterful job at Washington State bringing them back from the dead. He is a proven great coach that is controversial. We have an unproven coach. I think he will be good but he is going to have to grow into the job.
UT is crying right now because the let Fulmer come in and save the day. The real question is do they finally get rid of a Fulmer and go get Leach.
Washington State is a great place for him as was Texas Tech.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LibertyTurns

Banned
Bronco Mendenhall came to Virginia in 2015
He went 2-10 his first season
Then 6-7
Then 8-5
Now they are the favorites in the coastal this season.
If we had scored that TD in regulation we would feel better but the team wouldn’t be better.

I liked seeing some fire from coach. As much as we have depth, talent, injury, and experience issues, you can’t lose that game. It was poorly coached and I’m sure he would be the first to tell you. Hopefully we get some guys back on OL and coach everyone up. Temple wants to put a hurt on us, and they are better than Citadel.
Mendenhall was 99-43 at BYU. He averaged 9 wins a season over 11 years. Vag did not hire a reach, they hired a guy with a known track record.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
To an extent, but look at Mike Leach. Took him a while but it finally hit him that he may need to have competent run game to be successful
Sorry I don't follow Leach to be able to talk about him. I do like CGC and I knew he really didn't have Head Coaching experience so I knew he would be growing into the job. And I really like his pick for a defensive coordinator Thacker a young and coming coach. But his pick for an offensive coordinator I have a problem with. ATL is fine for every position but not the QB. It so disheartening to see one QB drive the team down field and then see another QB come out s to see another QB. You would have had a field day when you played against this CO. Hey QB A it's going to be these plays and now QB B they will run these plays. He has to keep him this year but needs to be looking next year or we will be in the same boat as before only this time on offense and not defense.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Sorry I don't follow Leach to be able to talk about him. I do like CGC and I knew he really didn't have Head Coaching experience so I knew he would be growing into the job. And I really like his pick for a defensive coordinator Thacker a young and coming coach. But his pick for an offensive coordinator I have a problem with. ATL is fine for every position but not the QB. It so disheartening to see one QB drive the team down field and then see another QB come out s to see another QB. You would have had a field day when you played against this CO. Hey QB A it's going to be these plays and now QB B they will run these plays. He has to keep him this year but needs to be looking next year or we will be in the same boat as before only this time on offense and not defense.

I think too many are taking the ATL too literal. I honestly believe, this was suppose to be a trial by fire and we have one true starter by the Temple gm

LibertyTurns

Banned
Yep.....but the koolaid drinkers refuse to accept that. FSU is proof that talent means squat with bad coaching.
If that fact was not evident yesterday to all the haters it will never be. We certainly were not the least talented team on the field yesterday and got summarily whipped due to being undisciplined and some of the worst in game management I have ever seen in 6 decades of watching football.

Mack Brown bad taking a knee on 4th down giving SCe a chance to win except we did it
repetitively throughout the game.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I couldn’t sleep last night not because of the loss but because our GT family could quickly fracture even more than what is normal for any program. I loved Johnson and when I heard he retired my heart sank. But I’ll go to my grave believing that if Johnson just wasn’t so stubborn he could have achieved so much more. He was way more innovative in his younger years than his GT years. I like everything Collins has said and done other than what we’ve seen on the field. It’s up to him to take all the knowledge he’s amassed and turn it around. I’m willing to give him time because outside of Clemson, Bama, UGA, and Oklahoma, no other team is winning anything anyway.

On a positive, Griffin and Yates are obviously being redshirted which I love. Save them for when we have a OL. I’d much rather have a 22 year old Yates than a 18 year old.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Right now, of the 10 OLs on the depth chart (or whatever you want to call it), THREE guys are walks ons. Thirty percent of our gameday roster at OL are walk ons. There was one OL with pro potential on the roster when CGC got here, and he quickly transferred to Texas. Two of our scholarship guys are obviously playing hurt because those are high character kids who don't want to let down their teammates.

At DT, there's one walk on that gets a LOT of snaps. 1 out of six of our DTs is a walkon.

Our starting QB was not offered by an FBS program, and he's coming off a year's layoff due to injury. The most productive QB was offered by other schools as a DB or WR...and WR is probably his best position. Our most dangerous QB is catching up due to academic issues last season, and he's currently hurt. Our highest rated QB is a true freshmen.

Think about all of that. Our QB situation is not ideal in the FBS sense, and our OL situation is close to redlining.

We should have still beaten Citadel (easily IMO), but let's not overlook what our coaches have to deal with. Our expectations do not match with reality. I thought we should have been a bowl team to start the season, but maybe I was too optimistic. We can win with this roster, but our coaches (especially on the offensive side) need to figure it out. There are athletes on the offensive side for our team to be productive, but it seems like we are not utilizing our strengths at the moment.

Hopefully we see a LOT of improvement over the next two weeks. Temple is beatable...if we don't beat ourselves.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Right now, of the 10 OLs on the depth chart (or whatever you want to call it), THREE guys are walks ons. Thirty percent of our gameday roster at OL are walk ons. There was one OL with pro potential on the roster when CGC got here, and he quickly transferred to Texas. Two of our scholarship guys are obviously playing hurt because those are high character kids who don't want to let down their teammates.

At DT, there's one walk on that gets a LOT of snaps. 1 out of six of our DTs is a walkon.

Our starting QB was not offered by an FBS program, and he's coming off a year's layoff due to injury. The most productive QB was offered by other schools as a DB or WR...and WR is probably his best position. Our most dangerous QB is catching up due to academic issues last season, and he's currently hurt. Our highest rated QB is a true freshmen.

Think about all of that. Our QB situation is not ideal in the FBS sense, and our OL situation is close to redlining.

We should have still beaten Citadel (easily IMO), but let's not overlook what our coaches have to deal with. Our expectations do not match with reality. I thought we should have been a bowl team to start the season, but maybe I was too optimistic. We can win with this roster, but our coaches (especially on the offensive side) need to figure it out. There are athletes on the offensive side for our team to be productive, but it seems like we are not utilizing our strengths at the moment.

Hopefully we see a LOT of improvement over the next two weeks. Temple is beatable...if we don't beat ourselves.

I’m sorry, but with the product we are putting on the field, and having zero signs of improvement from game 1 to yesterday, I think we are in no way, shape, or form capable of beating Temple. And they may have a chip on their shoulder for their coach leaving. I’m fully prepared for that to be a loss as well.

Animal
Agree mostly,
DP is going to have to step up his coaching, I know Collins and him are good buddies. Cpj had a few of those, but Collins is going to have to out pressure on him to get.the offense going or start looking for someone else

The hype is corny, but the team enjoys it, guess I'm one that thinks of the team likes it, it's ok since we had almost no.hype under cpj.

Collins has a lot to prove, here all I want is to see him succeed and not have us searching for a new coach next year

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Patanaude may be to Collins what Sewak was to CPJ. CPJ should have dumped Sewak a long time ago, and Collins may need to dump Patanaude NOW.

I’m sorry, but with the product we are putting on the field, and having zero signs of improvement from game 1 to yesterday, I think we are in no way, shape, or form capable of beating Temple. And they may have a chip on their shoulder for their coach leaving. I’m fully prepared for that to be a loss as well.
Not only have there been zero signs of improvement from game 1 to yesterday, there has been regression. We played a helluva lot better game against Clemson than we did against The Citadel.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Thank you