The End of College Sports As We Know It

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
So, we have fans who would support and show up to games to watch us lose (last 5 years) but if we started winning by playing teams in our tier then they would stop coming and donating. Interesting.

So, you’d rather watch a game in person where we get smoked by Clemson but would not want to watch a game in person where we beat UVA. Again, interesting.

Look at the attendance vs. P5 and FCS schools opponents over the last 10yrs and it’ll answer your question for you.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Look at the attendance vs. P5 and FCS schools opponents over the last 10yrs and it’ll answer your question for you.
I feel we and most other D1 schools have the illusion of playing for championships. I have heard fonts of this board talk (post) about us getting into the CFP. My take on the current hierarchy is that Clemson and FSU are actually the only ACC schools playing to get into the CFP. The rest of us are trying to win eight or nine games and get into a decent bowl game. If Key can get us to an annual expectation of 9-3 or 8-4 he could be here for life. No one really expects us to win 11 or 12 games. And, this is in the ACC where only two teams are in that elite expectations class. In the SEC only Vandy would be satisfied with what we dream about. Jimbo Fisher was fired at A&M for only winning 45 games in 6 years.

The illusion of winning all of our games and being invited to the CFP is what we would lose by not playing big boy "pro lite" football. I wonder how long it will be before the teams in that group make college enrollment an administrative requirement only. Class attendance and progess toward a degree might become optional or non-existent. If you are playing pro football, then football is what you're doing and classes are a distraction from the core objectives.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I feel we and most other D1 schools have the illusion of playing for championships. I have heard fonts of this board talk (post) about us getting into the CFP. My take on the current hierarchy is that Clemson and FSU are actually the only ACC schools playing to get into the CFP. The rest of us are trying to win eight or nine games and get into a decent bowl game. If Key can get us to an annual expectation of 9-3 or 8-4 he could be here for life. No one really expects us to win 11 or 12 games. And, this is in the ACC where only two teams are in that elite expectations class. In the SEC only Vandy would be satisfied with what we dream about. Jimbo Fisher was fired at A&M for only winning 45 games in 6 years.

The illusion of winning all of our games and being invited to the CFP is what we would lose by not playing big boy "pro lite" football. I wonder how long it will be before the teams in that group make college enrollment an administrative requirement only. Class attendance and progess toward a degree might become optional or non-existent. If you are playing pro football, then football is what you're doing and classes are a distraction from the core objectives.

Miami or UNC could win 13 games and get themselves into the playoffs if they ever got their coaching fixed. They bring in talent on par with playoff level teams.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

That illusion shouldn’t exist with a 12- team playoff

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
The purpose of Ga. Tech is to educate and develop young men and women into professional contributors and positive influencers of a free society. Amateur student athletics fits that objective. Being able to play football(not GT) and endure its tough demanding practices has always been on my list of life's best educations for me.

However, It is not a primary goal or objective of Ga Tech to develop athletes for professional sports.
And IMO should never be for a higher education institution.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That illusion shouldn’t exist with a 12- team playoff
The 12 team playoff is largely an illusion.

There are basically going to be about 20 programs playing for those 11 slots (1 goes to a non Power conference team) on a consistent basis. They are the ones that have the money to pay the players the most.
There are probably another 20-30 schools where if everything lines up just right they may get into the CFP once a decade. None of those teams will ever win a championship. (I'd place GT in this category)
The championship is still going to come down to roughly 6-8 teams that simply spend at much higher levels than the vast majority of FBS schools. Nothing is going to change that unless some sort of caps are put in place (like they have in professional sports).

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
The proposals, if adopted, would certainly usher in drastic changes in college football. Since there are many more colleges the changes could hurt (monetarily and otherwise) than help, one would think that the majority of colleges affected would vote down the proposed changes. What happens then?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The proposals, if adopted, would certainly usher in drastic changes in college football. Since there are many more colleges the changes could hurt (monetarily and otherwise) than help, one would think that the majority of colleges affected would vote down the proposed changes. What happens then?
The Bush-League Pro programs will break off to form their own league.

Please let it be soon, Lord!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The problem with this take is the money for 2nd tier football will be $5M or less at most.

At that level funding other sports becomes a problem. The level of play for football is much lower.
Well, looks like coaches will have to start accepting more modest salaries and schools will have to stop building water slides, putt putt courses, and chairs that double as beds in their locker rooms.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The problem with this take is the money for 2nd tier football will be $5M or less at most.

At that level funding other sports becomes a problem. The level of play for football is much lower.

Lastly you are assuming lots of schools will opt for the 2nd tire option. I have serious doubts. In the ACC maybe Wake, Pitt and Cuse. I don’t see any others opting down.

No one in the B1G orSECis opting down, too much money that would go away.
I kinda doubt that, there likely would not be as many Schools that decide to (or are invited to begin with) go unlimited as you think. IF that’s the case then there will still be great demand to watch the other 100 or so schools continue to play FB, and it will be good competitive fb if they get some guardrails in place that work. The tv money will have to be there enough to keep everyone solvent or nobody will ever go for any of this to begin with. In the end it’s probably all just a pipe-dream anyway.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The purpose of Ga. Tech is to educate and develop young men and women into professional contributors and positive influencers of a free society. Amateur student athletics fits that objective. Being able to play football(not GT) and endure its tough demanding practices has always been on my list of life's best educations for me.

However, It is not a primary goal or objective of Ga Tech to develop athletes for professional sports.
They are not mutually exclusive. GT can do both and should try to do both.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
They are not mutually exclusive. GT can do both and should try to do both.
They aren’t mutually exclusive, but it’s also not GT’s responsibility to pay student athletes who’s primary objective while on campus is to learn. The primary objective at GT (and should be at every college and university) is to provide a high quality education for those who seek it. A secondary secondary goal for higher learning substitutions can be to provide athletics opportunities to further develop their students’ minds and bodies, as well as provide an outlet for community development.

If your secondary goals become intrinsic at all on the primary goal, it’s time to cut them loose. There is definitely room at GT and most colleges and universities for secondary goals, but not at the pace and scale the college athletics industry is moving towards.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
They aren’t mutually exclusive, but it’s also not GT’s responsibility to pay student athletes who’s primary objective while on campus is to learn. The primary objective at GT (and should be at every college and university) is to provide a high quality education for those who seek it. A secondary secondary goal for higher learning substitutions can be to provide athletics opportunities to further develop their students’ minds and bodies, as well as provide an outlet for community development.

If your secondary goals become intrinsic at all on the primary goal, it’s time to cut them loose. There is definitely room at GT and most colleges and universities for secondary goals, but not at the pace and scale the college athletics industry is moving towards.
There is zero reason a school like GT can't work hard to give a player with potential NFL talent the opportunity to peruse that opportunity while giving the individual an excellent education. There are plenty of GT grads who played in the NFL who are excellent citizens who make their communities much better than the average GT grad.

In addition to the academics GT offers the discipline and effort required to be a great football player sets these individuals apart from the average GT student.

The thought that GT can't do both is thinking small and stereotyping athletes.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

With the economic impact that it brings to the university and personal experience, GT needs to invest heavily in both

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
There is zero reason a school like GT can't work hard to give a player with potential NFL talent the opportunity to peruse that opportunity while giving the individual an excellent education. There are plenty of GT grads who played in the NFL who are excellent citizens who make their communities much better than the average GT grad.

In addition to the academics GT offers the discipline and effort required to be a great football player sets these individuals apart from the average GT student.

I agree. I’m not saying anything different than what you just said. But the barrier of entry to getting those potential NFL players on campus is getting higher and higher. What I’m saying is that I don’t want GT to compromise its academic integrity for the sole purpose of winning football games. If those future NFL players want to come here and get a great education like they have for the past 7 decades, I’m all for it. I don’t want them here just because GT is paying them the most money, I have no interest in GT contracting out professional athletes that aren’t held to the same (or any) academic standards.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
With the economic impact that it brings to the university and personal experience, GT needs to invest heavily in both
Georgia Tech’s endowment is $3 BILLION (with a b). GT’s athletic programs don’t even move the needle for The Institute. That’s why they’ve been allowed to bleed money for decades. The $200M GTAA is in the hole is less than 7% of GT’s total endowment.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck

I find it almost funny that you think kids making 100k or more per year to play "college" football will do, or be required to do, anything related to academics.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
The impact this has on Tech just depends on who all goes. If 90% of the ACC does this you can’t justify that Tech shouldn’t. If only Clemson, FSU and UNC make the jump I’d understand. If teams like Wake Forrest and Boston College make the move we simply have to, or we would cease to exist.