The End of College Sports As We Know It

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
No team is going to sponsor a club/academy that will train athletes for other teams to draft away from them. To do what you're saying, the Draft, the Collective Bargaining Agreement, etc. would all have to be changed. Pro teams would have to take on the liability of injuries, salaries, etc. Never going to happen.
I do believe that the NFL has invested money into High School football. From a selfish perspective, it is to keep the pipeline open for generating new talent.

While I agree, no way does an NFL TEAM support a college or university, I could see the NFL contributing to keep the college sport healthy (in some form or another).

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
So, you guys think The Great TV Benefactor (sEcSPN) is going to let a whole strata of football programs die due to lack of "media dollars?" That's half to two-thirds of the current P5? Sorry, no bueno. Will costs have to scale back? Yes, but that's the natural consequence of moving away from those who are driving it up in the first place. It will survive, albeit a bit differently... kind of like, say, circa 1990?
First, ESPN only cares about eyeballs and ad revenue. They would focus their energy and investment into promoting their compelling matchups, just like they do now for the SEC. They could still broadcast the games of the lower strata but at a lower payout. The analogy would be current G5 games or lower.

Second, I’m not suggesting that media dollars would dry up, or that ticket sales would drop precipitously. I’m saying that our greater dependency on media $ relative to our peers would put us at a greater disadvantage should the media revenue drop significantly, as I expect it would. We would need to greatly increase donations to catch up, and I can’t see how that would be a likely outcome. The other option would be to cut salaries and staff more than our peers would. Neither is a desirable situation for GT.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
First, ESPN only cares about eyeballs and ad revenue. They would focus their energy and investment into promoting their compelling matchups, just like they do now for the SEC. They could still broadcast the games of the lower strata but at a lower payout. The analogy would be current G5 games or lower.

Second, I’m not suggesting that media dollars would dry up, or that ticket sales would drop precipitously. I’m saying that our greater dependency on media $ relative to our peers would put us at a greater disadvantage should the media revenue drop significantly, as I expect it would. We would need to greatly increase donations to catch up, and I can’t see how that would be a likely outcome. The other option would be to cut salaries and staff more than our peers would. Neither is a desirable situation for GT.
I think the consequence would be many, but the support would be there at some level, most likely diminished. That would certainly affect Tech, likely in a major way. It would reduce the cost structure some, maybe significantly. We don’t know. It would cause a restructuring across all of football in ways we don’t understand, with unintended consequences all over. However, the money wouldn’t dry up, it would continue, just at a lower level. But that would be consistent with all teams in that strata.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what the future holds. But I do know that Tech is growing and that live non-sports entertainment is growing. I'm wondering if there is a long-term model for a state of the art entertainment facility that would work for football, soccer, and live music that would greatly expand the revenue stream. If we could develop a GT version of the Battery from the Dodd down to Centennial Olympic Park with a new right-size facility, with immediate access to MARTA, Midtown, and a huge student body, perhaps there is a model for us that does not rely so much on TV dollars for a single sport.
They are working on renovations somewhat similar to this now.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Hope I can format this right.

A comparison of stadium capacity between Tech and uga over the years, just the highlights since they rarely expanded at the same time or rate.

uga Tech
30,000 44,000
36,000 53,300
59,200 58,121
Present
92,058 43,719
Might need to recheck some numbers, current capacity of Bobby Dodd is 55k.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
My wife and I would much prefer programs built truly on the traditional student athlete model. But we’re probably in the minority.
The problem with this model is the level of play would be not very good at best. It would be basically what Division 2 is currently. Interest would drop to all time lows and money donations would all but disappear. We could have a good golf team as former GT Golfers who made it big as Pros have funded the golf program well!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I think the consequence would be many, but the support would be there at some level, most likely diminished. That would certainly affect Tech, likely in a major way. It would reduce the cost structure some, maybe significantly. We don’t know. It would cause a restructuring across all of football in ways we don’t understand, with unintended consequences all over. However, the money wouldn’t dry up, it would continue, just at a lower level. But that would be consistent with all teams in that strata.
Would you go to games when GT is basically a Division 2 team? Would you still donate the same amount to the GTAA? Would you watch GT football and BB on TV?

Me, as I don't live anywhere near Atlanta I would make no effort to attend, I would likely drop my contributions to the GTAA and my interest in watching would be greatly diminished. Playing Division 2 level football and basketball is not of interest to me.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Would you go to games when GT is basically a Division 2 team? Would you still donate the same amount to the GTAA? Would you watch GT football and BB on TV?

Me, as I don't live anywhere near Atlanta I would make no effort to attend, I would likely drop my contributions to the GTAA and my interest in watching would be greatly diminished. Playing Division 2 level football and basketball is not of interest to me.
That’s your choice. It speaks to your love of your alma mater.

ETA: I guess I reject binary thinking which engineer types tend to practice. I also refuse to believe that there is only one answer here and that we are coerced into that position.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

ETA: I guess I reject binary thinking which engineer types tend to practice. I also refuse to believe that there is only one answer here and that we are coerced into that position.
Not his alma mater if I recall correctly. Why are you assuming the sidewalk fans (a large, active membership in this community) would be interested in supporting a lower level program? They could do that with State or KSU now, but choose not to.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If they created a top strata of cfb composed of paid pro’s, there are maybe 25-40 factory schools that would make the cut, everyone else would fall below, IF somehow you could equalize spending and TV money amongst the remaining academic/amateur- level schools then those would be great, highly competitive college football games. All your 5 and 4 star recruits would go factory school, so it would put a premium on finding hidden talent and coaching kids up. There would absolutely be a demand for this on tv so we would still have a contract with espn or somebody and get tv money. The ideal thing would be divide into 4 regional divisions and then have a playoff for the national championship from those 4 regional champions. If a school gets caught cheating spending too much then force them into the pro division.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

So, we have fans who would support and show up to games to watch us lose (last 5 years) but if we started winning by playing teams in our tier then they would stop coming and donating. Interesting.

So, you’d rather watch a game in person where we get smoked by Clemson but would not want to watch a game in person where we beat UVA. Again, interesting.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

Speaks nothing of how I feel about GT. I think it would be a very bad decision and I don’t enjoy watching low level sports. I don’t watch any FCS teams play each other currently.

I think there are a lot more people that view college sports as I do then you think.

I compare it to minor league baseball. Ok to go to a local game or two as it’s cheap and easy to get in and out. No real interest in how the team plays though as it is minor league.

I am not sure this NCAA Proposal will get much support .

You didn’t answer my questions? Any reason for not doing so?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
So, we have fans who would support and show up to games to watch us lose (last 5 years) but if we started winning by playing teams in our tier then they would stop coming and donating. Interesting.

So, you’d rather watch a game in person where we get smoked by Clemson but would not want to watch a game in person where we beat UVA. Again, interesting.
Lots of assumptions there. We may end up playing Georgia State and Georgia Southern and Wake as our big games.

I doubt UVA opts for lower level sports. I doubt many ACC Teams do. Most ACC schools field competitive teams in non revenue sports. Football TV and donations provides the revenue to fund those sports.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Lots of assumptions there. We may end up playing Georgia State and Georgia Southern and Wake as our big games.

I doubt UVA opts for lower level sports. I doubt many ACC Teams do. Most ACC schools field competitive teams in non revenue sports. Football TV and donations provides the revenue to fund those sports.
I am not sure if this is a breakaway group that teams like UVA will be invited. Obviously part of this is can a school afford it. But the other aspect will be how many teams are put in this top tier. Most SEC schools, most Big 10 schools and then a handful from ACC and Big 12 (not most).

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Speaks nothing of how I feel about GT. I think it would be a very bad decision and I don’t enjoy watching low level sports. I don’t watch any FCS teams play each other currently.

I think there are a lot more people that view college sports as I do then you think.

I compare it to minor league baseball. Ok to go to a local game or two as it’s cheap and easy to get in and out. No real interest in how the team plays though as it is minor league.

I am not sure this NCAA Proposal will get much support .

You didn’t answer my questions? Any reason for not doing so?
Root, the bush league pro conference you slather over is far closer to minor league baseball than college football would be. Have at it bro.

As for why I do not answer, I’m taking a quick break from work and have no appetite for an extended “debate,” which that is sure to result in. I wasted enough time on Monday for the whole week. If I don't work, I don’t get paid

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

If you take away the Alabama’s, Clemson‘s and uga’s of the cfb world away what you have left is basically typical ACC football- competitive games between similar teams that either team can win on any given day. I don’t think the majority of ACC schools would be interested in playing ”pro” football and being in an unlimited spending arms war for talent, and if they did a few years of being cannon fodder might change their minds.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
If you take away the Alabama’s, Clemson‘s and uga’s of the cfb world away what you have left is basically typical ACC football- competitive games between similar teams that either team can win on any given day. I don’t think the majority of ACC schools would be interested in playing ”pro” football and being in an unlimited spending arms war for talent, and if they did a few years of being cannon fodder might change their minds.
The problem with this take is the money for 2nd tier football will be $5M or less at most.

At that level funding other sports becomes a problem. The level of play for football is much lower.

Lastly you are assuming lots of schools will opt for the 2nd tire option. I have serious doubts. In the ACC maybe Wake, Pitt and Cuse. I don’t see any others opting down.

No one in the B1G orSECis opting down, too much money that would go away.