The Empty Cupboard at UGA

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I just had to listen to 680 the fan this morning just to enjoy everybody's head exploding and the whacked out rationalization that was sure to follow Saturday's drubbing. I almost couldn't believe my ears. Richt has left Smart an empty cupboard!!!!! You didn't know that?!!!!! I guess my question is: how could that be true? The recruiting classes have been top whatever for how many years in a row at UGAg. To make that claim, you would have to totally discount the star system, no? Haven't UGA fans trumpeted their recruiting prowess to the hilltops forever now? Is this a retroactive situation? Somebody please explain.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The commentators calling that game came up with the same excuse. Saying they didn’t have any playmakers at WR and their best one is only 5’8”. They had no length in their secondary and their D-Line lacked any pass rushers.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I just had to listen to 680 the fan this morning just to enjoy everybody's head exploding and the whacked out rationalization that was sure to follow Saturday's drubbing. I almost couldn't believe my ears. Richt has left Smart an empty cupboard!!!!! You didn't know that?!!!!! I guess my question is: how could that be true? The recruiting classes have been top whatever for how many years in a row at UGAg. To make that claim, you would have to totally discount the star system, no? Haven't UGA fans trumpeted their recruiting prowess to the hilltops forever now? Is this a retroactive situation? Somebody please explain.
It is ever so regardless of the occupation. A superstar may leave and his successor almost invariably begins dropping dark hints about problems he's found, things he has to fix, all of which leads to "I am going to need a little more time than I thought to be successful." I don't know the recruiting situation as I don't follow that, but I would be very suspicious that Richt the great recruiter would have taken a dive without intending to quit. But he got fired. Like you say, it don't make no sense at all except i's just another Georgia whine.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
It sure looked that way the past few weeks. I don't know what you can attribute that to but... They don't look like a good football team for some reason. Most years you can see a talent gap between them and other teams... Ole Miss looked light years ahead of them and Nicholls wasn't far behind. Mizzou had no business losing that game... but that's what you get with a gunslinger at QB. The gaggers will come up with ANY excuse after a loss. I hope Kirby Smart ends up as 1 of those guys who can't HC but was a good assistant. Wouldn't that be hilarious?

It sure looked that way the past few weeks. I don't know what you can attribute that to but... They don't look like a good football team for some reason. Most years you can see a talent gap between them and other teams... Ole Miss looked light years ahead of them and Nicholls wasn't far behind. Mizzou had no business losing that game... but that's what you get with a gunslinger at QB. The gaggers will come up with ANY excuse after a loss. I hope Kirby Smart ends up as 1 of those guys who can't HC but was a good assistant. Wouldn't that be hilarious?
When you consider how Clemson shredded his defense in the NC game, you have to wonder also if he was really that good an assistant.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It is ever so regardless of the occupation. A superstar may leave and his successor almost invariably begins dropping dark hints about problems he's found, things he has to fix, all of which leads to "I am going to need a little more time than I thought to be successful."
Man, this is so on target.

I have seen this in turnovers in corporate board rooms, changes in ministers at churches and the first terms of new presidents. I remember the Bush administration explaining the attacks of 9/11 as if these didn't happen on their watch because, you know, the previous administration left us defenseless.

Human nature is so predictable sometimes.

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This argument makes me laugh considering Richt was shown the door for failing to translate all that talent he recruited into championships.

Now one season later, Smart is having a hard time because Richt didnt recruit enough talent.

Cannot have it both ways. So which is it?

The final straw for me today was the normally dwag-tagonistic John Kincade saying that part of Richt's problem was his inability to recruit a quarterback.
Green, Stafford, Murray, Eason. You have got to be kidding me.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If Kirby Smart guides UGAG to a 7-5 regular season record this season do y'all think he will have a hotseat in 2017?

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This argument makes me laugh considering Richt was shown the door for failing to translate all that talent he recruited into championships.

Now one season later, Smart is having a hard time because Richt didnt recruit enough talent.

Cannot have it both ways. So which is it?
Kirby is going to probably wind up in my opinion another Nick Saban assistant who can't coach like Will Muschamp and Derek Dooley

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Okay, so this guy seems to answer your question ...

I am not sure what to make of this line of discussion. When I hear people say that our defense is worse than other teams who we recruit better than, I wonder, according to who? If your measuring stick is the recruiting services, that is your first mistake. I could care less what BC's recruiting rankings are. They have recruited better on that side of the ball than we have. End of story. The proof is in the pudding and it is not just coaching. If, player by player, they are more effective than you, then they have brought in better kids. Recruiting is about finding the right kids for what you want to do and how you like to do it. For those who think we are bereft of talent and our defensive rankings are commensurate with our talent level, I would pressure you to provide your scouting report of our kids and what you see. If you say none of our players would start at a factory, I would point to those who have been drafted. The simple truth is that, where we are right now as a defensive unit is far more complex than any of these opinions in simplest form. I am still trying to figure out where we are, in terms of talent right now. I want to see quite a few more reps before I form a strong opinion either way. I am less inclined to opine on defensive tactics and scheme, because I really only recognize the basics of defensive football. I can tell when a player is using good technique and or dominating another player physically, or with speed etc, way better than I can recognize if they are fluent in our scheme and making the right calls and adjustments etc. I'll leave that to "Ballin and the like. I would caution everybody to give this unit a little more time before forming a solid opinion.

If we continue to produce end results like the ones we have seen in the first two games, I will be ecstatic. If we produce results like many of you are predicting I will be morose. I am going to watch Vandy and Clempsum and then I will put a stake in the ground. I don't mean to hit and run like this, but I want more time before I commit to a position. I am surprised that so many of us are so sure.

My position on recruiting is this: if you bring in players and after good coaching and player development practices they turn into studs, then you have recruited well. I understand that is not how many view it.

A hypothetical question:

Coach A recruits a class full of nothing but 5 star players, but none of them pan out. Coach B recruits nothing but 2 and 3 star players and 2/3rds of them turn out to be high caliber performers. Who recruited better?

To me, you judge recruiting 3 years down the road after the rubber has met the road and not from the flaky star rankings from some geek before the kids ever see a college snap. Of course my hypothetical question is crap because no class with all 5 stars is going to totally flame out, but many do to a certain extent, whether for grades, behavior, crappy work ethic, or just plain being overrated.

So, by this logic if I understand correcly, the results on the field show that Georgie clearly didn't recruit very well -- hence empty cupboard

stech81

Helluva Engineer

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It's not, what you have is the Local media making Excuses for Smart for the time to stay on his good side. They are the same ones that wanted Richt out last year.
It wont take very much for them to turn on him. I bet he has a hotseat in 2017.