The Empty Cupboard at UGA

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I just had to listen to 680 the fan this morning just to enjoy everybody's head exploding and the whacked out rationalization that was sure to follow Saturday's drubbing. I almost couldn't believe my ears. Richt has left Smart an empty cupboard!!!!! You didn't know that?!!!!! I guess my question is: how could that be true? The recruiting classes have been top whatever for how many years in a row at UGAg. To make that claim, you would have to totally discount the star system, no? Haven't UGA fans trumpeted their recruiting prowess to the hilltops forever now? Is this a retroactive situation? Somebody please explain.
Found out today that Ole Miss is probably the second best team in the country.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Georgia has talent. Coaching changes aren't always seamless however. Look at CBR following CBC. CBR is as good a football coach as you can get at any level. We all knew that there was more talent there on the Flats than what his first two years showed. Same with the guy who followed CBR...more talent than what the record indicated. We just need to find out if CKS is CBR...or the guy who followed CBR.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This argument makes me laugh considering Richt was shown the door for failing to translate all that talent he recruited into championships.

Now one season later, Smart is having a hard time because Richt didnt recruit enough talent.

Cannot have it both ways. So which is it?

The final straw for me today was the normally dwag-tagonistic John Kincade saying that part of Richt's problem was his inability to recruit a quarterback.
Green, Stafford, Murray, Eason. You have got to be kidding me.
Well, yeah, But take away those four and what you got?

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I asked my rational UGA fan and his response was "They're upset because our 2 5 star WR's are less than 5'10" and were listed as ATH. They haven't panned out as advertised. It happens."
During the UGAG-Missouri game the UGAG play by play announcers were whining that the offense was very limited because of having no playmakers at wide receiver.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Okay, so this guy seems to answer your question ...

So, by this logic if I understand correcly, the results on the field show that Georgie clearly didn't recruit very well -- hence empty cupboard
I agree with this completely. However, if you listen to Bullpup nation over the last several years (and many on this board) Richt was fired because he never won championships with ALL THAT TALENT. Now he is barely to the curb after heading out the door and they have no players. btw '87, my endorsement of the star system in the OP was sarcasm.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with this completely. However, if you listen to Bullpup nation over the last several years (and many on this board) Richt was fired because he never won championships with ALL THAT TALENT. Now he is barely to the curb after heading out the door and they have no players. btw '87, my endorsement of the star system in the OP was sarcasm.
Richt was doomed after losing to Tennessee 37-31 to Tennessee after having big lead

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
@Boomergump see you are applying common sense logic to a UGAg situation. You have to apply UGAg logic to this situation to understand it. From living in UGAg country let me explain their side.

If you have a mediocre coach and great talent, but you fire him in order to hire a subpar coach, you will then need phenomenal talent to win the games you have been winning.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Yet they are still ranked in the top 25? Maybe there is an unwritten rule that the pollsters cant have less than 7 Special Ed Conference Teams in the top 25 or they lose their credibility.

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
Why is it so hard for uGA fans to grasp that firing Richt and hiring a guy with no proven experience was incredibly risky? Sure, it might work out (but apparently not in 2016), but there is a large non-zero probability that they could be worse off.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
I saw one post on reddit complaining that they have no talent cause Richt kicked too many criminals off the team like that was a bad thing hahaha

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Man, this is so on target.

I have seen this in turnovers in corporate board rooms, changes in ministers at churches and the first terms of new presidents. I remember the Bush administration explaining the attacks of 9/11 as if these didn't happen on their watch because, you know, the previous administration left us defenseless.

Human nature is so predictable sometimes.

Sigh. Bit of a derail but I hate revisionist history. Bush didn't blame 911 on Clinton. He blamed it on Bin Laden. The ability to respond as promptly and decisively as he wished, yeah that was a criticism used but not the actual carrying out of the attack.

UGA is in the same boat we are. Just one loss, though bad, but they still have every goal in front of them still obtainable. It's nice seeing their fans in meltdown though.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Sigh. Bit of a derail but I hate revisionist history. Bush didn't blame 911 on Clinton. He blamed it on Bin Laden. The ability to respond as promptly and decisively as he wished, yeah that was a criticism used but not the actual carrying out of the attack.

UGA is in the same boat we are. Just one loss, though bad, but they still have every goal in front of them still obtainable. It's nice seeing their fans in meltdown though.

The biggest difference is how we adapt to our scenario.
These Nad lickers will convince you the world is crashing down if you listen to them enough.

Where as our fan base can adapt to reality easier.
Maybe it is because we are use to expecting things to not go according to plan :)