The Empty Cupboard at UGA

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/9/24/13042774/kirby-smart-visor-polo-customer-service

UGA head coach Kirby Smart looks like a Checkers manager
Or Rally’s. Same thing. A burger joint manager, is the point.

gacoach.jpg

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I just had to listen to 680 the fan this morning just to enjoy everybody's head exploding and the whacked out rationalization that was sure to follow Saturday's drubbing. I almost couldn't believe my ears. Richt has left Smart an empty cupboard!!!!! You didn't know that?!!!!! I guess my question is: how could that be true? The recruiting classes have been top whatever for how many years in a row at UGAg. To make that claim, you would have to totally discount the star system, no? Haven't UGA fans trumpeted their recruiting prowess to the hilltops forever now? Is this a retroactive situation? Somebody please explain.

I have not paid any attention to the mutt's offensive alignments and blocking schemes, so I am only repeating things I have heard.

The only people who have made any sense with this talk have said that the previous year's offenses used more movement on the offensive line.(Pulling, crossing, what I am not sure) The new offensive scheme is straight power blocking. The linemen that the mutts have are not powerful enough to perform straight power blocking like Alabama.

The problem with the radio talk and fan talk is that not having the personnel to perform a specific scheme is not a bare cupboard. If they ran the same offense as last year, I would assume the linemen could perform as well as last year. If your new coach ignores abilities of current personnel and installs a system designed for people he doesn't have, it is not a problem left behind by your old coach. Mutt fans have been under a delusion for many years that they are on par with LSU and Alabama. They really believe that all the team has to do is tweak some small thing and they will win the still MNC. They are and have been for a long time a second tier SEC team. They don't want to believe that, so they blame everything on: Refs, Bobo, Refs, Grantham, Refs, Richt, Refs, Lambert, Refs, SEC doesn't like them, Refs, Athens Police Department, and the Refs.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I have not paid any attention to the mutt's offensive alignments and blocking schemes, so I am only repeating things I have heard.

The only people who have made any sense with this talk have said that the previous year's offenses used more movement on the offensive line.(Pulling, crossing, what I am not sure) The new offensive scheme is straight power blocking. The linemen that the mutts have are not powerful enough to perform straight power blocking like Alabama.

The problem with the radio talk and fan talk is that not having the personnel to perform a specific scheme is not a bare cupboard. If they ran the same offense as last year, I would assume the linemen could perform as well as last year. If your new coach ignores abilities of current personnel and installs a system designed for people he doesn't have, it is not a problem left behind by your old coach. Mutt fans have been under a delusion for many years that they are on par with LSU and Alabama. They really believe that all the team has to do is tweak some small thing and they will win the still MNC. They are and have been for a long time a second tier SEC team. They don't want to believe that, so they blame everything on: Refs, Bobo, Refs, Grantham, Refs, Richt, Refs, Lambert, Refs, SEC doesn't like them, Refs, Athens Police Department, and the Refs.
Ray Goff Jr is going to coach Georgia to a 7-5 record and possibly 7-6 after the Bowl Game.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Mutt fans have been under a delusion for many years that they are on par with LSU and Alabama. They really believe that all the team has to do is tweak some small thing and they will win the still MNC. They are and have been for a long time a second tier SEC team.
Sorry but talent wise coming in, they are definitely on par. Afterwards just doesn’t look it at all.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Sorry but talent wise coming in, they are definitely on par. Afterwards just doesn’t look it at all.

If all you look at are measurables, maybe. If you look at playing team football, I don't think so. Also, Alabama throws away players almost every year that could start for most FBS schools solely to open up scholarship spots for better players. The mutts have dismissed players who then started for other teams, but because of things like sexual assault.

jeffgt14

If all you look at are measurables, maybe. If you look at playing team football, I don't think so. Also, Alabama throws away players almost every year that could start for most FBS schools solely to open up scholarship spots for better players. The mutts have dismissed players who then started for other teams, but because of things like sexual assault.
Well yea the team thing is called coaching. They clearly have the talent of Alabama and LSU though. Alabama is definitely on another level of kicking players off players have career ending injuries though. I haven’t seen LSU do that as much though. I’d venture to guess Tennessee may do it second most in the SEC but still nowhere close to the amount Bama does.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Well yea the team thing is called coaching. They clearly have the talent of Alabama and LSU though. Alabama is definitely on another level of kicking players off players have career ending injuries though. I haven’t seen LSU do that as much though. I’d venture to guess Tennessee may do it second most in the SEC but still nowhere close to the amount Bama does.

If Alabama can dismiss players who could potentially start with the mutts to open up scholarship spots for better players, I don't see how you can say that the mutts have the same level of talent.

Also, the entire reason for this thread is that the mutt fans:
  • Complained last year that they have the same level of talent as Ohio State, LSU, Alabama, etc, but their coach couldn't work with them.
  • Now that they have the coach they wanted, they are complaining that the previous coach left them with absolutely no talent and there is no way that their preferred coach can win with them
They still have 3-4 years worth of players who "were on par with Alabama and Ohio State", from the previous coach. The only class that Richt didn't sign was the 2016 class that the new coach signed and was touted as an incredible class. The big joke about the mutt fans is that: All they needed to do was get rid of Grantham and they would win the MNC. It didn't work, so All they needed to do was get rid of Bobo and they would win the MNC. It didn't work, so All they needed to do was get rid of Richt and they would win the MNC. It appears that it hasn't worked quickly, so they make up more excuses. The actual truth is that they ARE NOT on par with Ohio State and Alabama. The mutts are in the second tier of FBS teams, not the top tier. There is no minor tweak that will win them 5 MNCs in a row.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If Alabama can dismiss players who could potentially start with the mutts to open up scholarship spots for better players, I don't see how you can say that the mutts have the same level of talent.

Also, the entire reason for this thread is that the mutt fans:
  • Complained last year that they have the same level of talent as Ohio State, LSU, Alabama, etc, but their coach couldn't work with them.
  • Now that they have the coach they wanted, they are complaining that the previous coach left them with absolutely no talent and there is no way that their preferred coach can win with them
They still have 3-4 years worth of players who "were on par with Alabama and Ohio State", from the previous coach. The only class that Richt didn't sign was the 2016 class that the new coach signed and was touted as an incredible class. The big joke about the mutt fans is that: All they needed to do was get rid of Grantham and they would win the MNC. It didn't work, so All they needed to do was get rid of Bobo and they would win the MNC. It didn't work, so All they needed to do was get rid of Richt and they would win the MNC. It appears that it hasn't worked quickly, so they make up more excuses. The actual truth is that they ARE NOT on par with Ohio State and Alabama. The mutts are in the second tier of FBS teams, not the top tier. There is no minor tweak that will win them 5 MNCs in a row.
In another two seasons after Georgia wins 7-8 games in 2017-2018 they will be screaming for Georgia to fire Kirby Smart and hire Tom Herman who will still be at Houston.

jeffgt14

Alabama and Ohio State have far and away better coaching. I think we agree about Alabama having more talent due to replacing players but what I’m trying to say is they are really the only team in the SEC I’ve seen do it that often so to call them a 2nd tier SEC team talentwise (not coaching) I disagree with. Teams like Ohio State, Auburn, USC, Georgia, LSU, Florida all have similar talent. Some of those just clearly don’t play football to their level of talent.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Kirby Goff may be getting his 'excuse' card. Reports on twitter that Chubb will be out vs TN due to ankle sprain. I'm trying to find an "official" link.

So would that be another cup off the empty cupboard? Guess they'll have to make do with "5-star" Playstation Michel or "5-star" Holyfield. Oh but they were a 5-star for another system so in this system they woulda been downgraded to a 4-star. :rolleyes:

(I'm only half-kidding, I do understand the system argument to a degree.)

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Kirby Goff may be getting his 'excuse' card. Reports on twitter that Chubb will be out vs TN due to ankle sprain. I'm trying to find an "official" link.

So would that be another cup off the empty cupboard? Guess they'll have to make do with "5-star" Playstation Michel or "5-star" Holyfield. Oh but they were a 5-star for another system so in this system they woulda been downgraded to a 4-star. :rolleyes:

(I'm only half-kidding, I do understand the system argument to a degree.)
Didn't Sony Michel break his arm in the off season and is on the shelf? I thought i heard he was unavailable. Ray Goff Jr wont have an excuse when he loses to Tennessee,Florida,Auburn and Georgia Tech.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Alabama and Ohio State have far and away better coaching. I think we agree about Alabama having more talent due to replacing players but what I’m trying to say is they are really the only team in the SEC I’ve seen do it that often so to call them a 2nd tier SEC team talentwise (not coaching) I disagree with. Teams like Ohio State, Auburn, USC, Georgia, LSU, Florida all have similar talent. Some of those just clearly don’t play football to their level of talent.

What evidence do you have that the mutts are not a second tier SEC school? "Talent wise", how many first and second team All-SEC players did they have last year? Were they on par with Alabama, Florida, Mississipi? No, they were in the next tier of teams, just slightly above Vanderbilt and South Carolina.