The Emperor Has No Clothes

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think we are building something really good at Tech and 2015 looks very bright. But, the media and the playoff committee are still going to have a bias toward the power programs (I include FSU) until they lose and someone like Kansas State or Ga Tech wins the championship. It's not the SEC, but Oregon and Ohio State are little different from Alabama. Few people on the east coast see the Oregon games live, but they have been getting a lot of hype from ESPN for quite a while.

What the FBS needs is a complete dumping of the current bowl game system and a new playoff structure similar to the FCS. Bowl games with 20,000 people in stadiums designed for 80,000 are an embarrassment to the entire concept of collegiate sports. It's all about the TV money and the ESPN noise machine. I doubt this will change in my lifetime, but its futile to spend too much mental energy wishing for the world to change. As long as ESPN has the money, they will control the narrative.

Click on the drop down menu for CFB Nation on the ESPN college football web page. See the list of teams on the right side of the menu. Those are the teams they planned to hype from the beginning of 2014. If we are not on that list in 2015, expect the same treatment we got this year. Our fan base is simply too small, by itself, to gain the respect uga gets from ESPN. I do not see it changing. As Deep Throat said in All the President's Men, "Follow the money."

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
ESPN learned a great deal from the decades of success of others such as the EIB network and adapted the model of repetitious, pontificators of self-proclaimed truths feeding eager consumers feasting on the fatted calfs offered to them for little or no effort.

Wow. You just compared SECSPN to Rush Limbaugh, body slamming both in the process. I'm kinda' impressed. :eek:

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
In case you missed it earlier in the year, here is a link to a pretty good article by Rolling Stone (believe it or not) of the whole ESPN/SEC bias controversy. Later in the year, they had Chris Fowler try to counter the argument, but he was served up some softball questions by a writer that admitted to being a contributor to ESPN). Here's the original article.
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture...spn-and-the-college-football-playoff-20141028

On another note, I believe this is my 100th post. I may not post a lot, but I think my insights are pretty thoughtful. But then again, I also thought that Beta would beat out VHS and 8-track was far better than cassette or vinyl, so who am I to judge.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The sec is an island.
Group think is the only way - all teams look alike.
Load up on talent two and three deep and wear them out.

Someday a coach in SEC will bring in the TCU or BAYLOR air raid we score on every play offense. Possibly one will try the high school ga tech offense.

Till then - they will get beaten.

After that it will be back to the same - if you ain't sec, you ain't ....

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The sec is an island.

Someday a coach in SEC will bring in the TCU or BAYLOR air raid we score on every play offense. Possibly one will try the high school ga tech offense.

Kevin Sumlin runs a version of the air raid.

CamBam

Georgia Tech Fan
I think the ACC has proven, both in bowl season and on rivalry weekend, that the talent pool is filling well in the conference. I think GT is going to be a top ten program in 2015 and easily compete for an ACCFC with Clemson or fsu, as well as uga during the regular season.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Can't a Facebook page be created to help in getting a social media movement going. We can do that, can't we?

Goldisbest

Georgia Tech Fan
Ten conference champs.....bottom ranked 4 "play in" to a 8 team bracket.
We need to get in touch with Larry.
th

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
After watching the bowl games, I have come to a conclusion. The SEC coaches are over rated to a certain degree. They are great recruiters and expect to out talent the other team. When they run into the unexpected they have a hard time adjusting.

Old School

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone who thinks the media will change their approach to promoting the SEC after this year should jump on over to the AJC and read Barnhardts latest article. He tries to be unbiased in the beginning but then digs in at the end. Expect more of the same next year. 7 championships in a row yada yada yada......

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
The sec is an island.

Auburn runs the Wing-T out of the shotgun. They're pretty great, and overcame being out-manned to beat Bama last season. If you watch them, they play like a really good high school team -- and their HC is straight out of the high school ranks.

Maybe there's something to all these "high school" tactics. The fan/media fallacy is always the same -- "You can't do that against athletes at the next level." Yeah, but at the next level, both sides have better athletes. De La Salle couldn't run a Veer play and gain 20 yards against Alabama, but Auburn can.

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone who thinks the media will change their approach to promoting the SEC after this year should jump on over to the AJC and read Barnhardts latest article. He tries to be unbiased in the beginning but then digs in at the end. Expect more of the same next year. 7 championships in a row yada yada yada......

Barnhardt really should go by the nickname "Mr. SEC Football" because that is mainly what he writes and cares about. Tries to appear neutral but he is definitely a UGA and SEC homer all the way.