The Emperor Has No Clothes

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My esteemed members of this board, you have all been privy to a multitude of discussions regarding the SEC West this season. I have taken the position that they have some good teams but have been sorely over-rated all season. Others have taken positions as grand as to proclaim them the best division in the history of college football. Now that their bowl season is complete and their final resumes established, I will take a closer look at their season as a whole and reveal the hoax that has been played on the entire college football loving nation by the conference homers themselves and those who promote them. Can anybody deny the repeated nature of the narrative that has been pumped through the media streams and, in turn, repeated at the water cooler at work stations across the south? Such catch phrases as "SEC speed" have indeed just become implanted in our collective subconscious by the broken record-like mantra of the media types with an apparent agenda. The house of cards was built so high, without foundation, that the inevitable crash was all the more embarrassing for everyone involved. Unlike most posters, I will back up my positions with data, and build a case, not only firmly establishing bias, but bordering on much worse. The system by which FBS college football champions are determined is frought with deep problems and permanently fractured. Despite the step in the right direction of a 4 team playoff, further changes are needed. Bias, money and politics still play far too great a role in determining our champions.

In 2014, the SEC West followed their typical model of lining up cupcake OOC schedules to avoid losses and waiting on the fawning press to fan the flames of their dominance mantra. In fact, the SEC West scheduled a total of just 4 games this season against teams from other power 5 conferences. This pales in comparison to the ACC Atlantic, for example, who scheduled a more normal 11. They did, in fact, win those 4 games, setting the stage quite nicely.

Next, I am going to share with you some weekly rankings data that unfolded as the season progressed that strongly suggest favorable treatment, whether intended or not, to this single conference and division. We all know preseason and early season polls are not worth the paper they are printed on. CFB is afterall a hard sport to predict. There were a handful of teams across the country who finished the season with 4 or more losses that also graced the top 10 in the AP rankings at any time. Two of them were there for a single week early on, Stanford at #10 (week 2) and USC #10 (week 3). The voting media swung and missed badly with Oklahoma and Notre Dame, each spending 5 weeks in the top 10 to start the season before dropping like a rock out of the rankings all together. Besides the SEC West, those are the only teams across the entire nation to grace the top 10 in error. Now we get to the vaunted SEC West schools. T A&M(8-5 record) spent 4 weeks in the top 10 reaching as high as #6 in week 6. LSU (8-5) spent 2 weeks in the top 10 reaching as high as #8. This is where it gets good. Ole Miss (9-4) spent a total of 9 weeks in the top 10, peaking at #3 in week 13. Auburn (8-5) spent an astounding 11 weeks in the top ten, peaking at #2. There was only a single team, nation wide, to finish with 3 losses who graced the top spot in the polls at any time. What conference and division did that team come from? You guessed it. The SEC West. MSU lost three games on the season and spent weeks 8 through 12 at #1. To compound matters, the SEC had the highest ranked 1 loss team for 9 of the last 10 weeks, the highest ranked 2 loss team for 6 of the 10 weeks that a 2 loss team was ranked, the highest ranked 3 loss team for all 6 weeks that happened, and the highest ranked 4 loss team every week there was one.

So, what did the exalted SEC west do to back up this treatment in the polls? You know what they did. They finished with 2 wins and 5 losses in their bowl games when they were matched up with decent teams from other conferences. Consider this, the only games they managed to win were against a Texas team with a losing record and a West Virginia team who was forced to break in a back up QB because Tricket was out with a concussion. Auburn lost to a Wisconsin team that just got drubbed by OSU (who was playing a third string QB starting his first game) 59-0. Ole Miss (the former #3 in the land) got totally outclassed by TCU 42-3 in a game where the score could have easily been worse. LSU lost to Notre Dame who had just lost 5 out of its last 6 themselves. Mississippi State (former #1) lost to an ACC team with an identical conference record, in Georgia Tech, by a score of 49-34. Then finally, Alabama, supposedly the best team in the land, lost to Ohio State who was playing its third string QB again, now with one game of experience under his belt.

For the good of the sport, we need to change things and we need to change them now. The spin machine and the homers should not be deciding, or even influencing, championships. Throughout history we have seen humans get whipped into all sorts of frenzies over things that had no basis in fact. College football is no different. The forces of money, emotions, and overdeveloped sense of association are simply too powerful to ignore any longer. I love CFB, but in its present state, it is unhealthy. Unlike some sports, college football has the ability to decide champions on the field as the result of a series of head to head competitions. It is time we made the commitment to do so.

The funny thing is, even after writing this opinion, I actually feel that the SEC has some good teams. Just getting every team bowl eligible is an achievement in itself. Their performance this bowl season is indeed unfortunate. The problem is that NO CONFERENCE could possibly live up to the hype that has been generated on their behalf, whether by design or not. I give credit to the SEC for putting a lot of butts in the seats and generating a lot of excitement. They have proven to be elite in that category. It is my considered opinion that there is a lot of parity these days. I don't see any league as dramatically better than any others, despite what I read and hear. To be truthful, I don't like the idea of rooting against a certain conference when they play simply because I despise the unfair treatment they receive. But I do it. Call it a weakness. I see one thing with my own eyes and all I hear from all media outlets and fans is another.

Integrity has to count for something. Let's re-establish it; the best sport in the world is counting on us.

Last edited:

worthco jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
My major complaint is the preferential treatment the football factories, in general, and the SEC in particular get from the NCAA and the media. I will be honest and admit that I cannot cite specific instances of abuse but it should be clear to anyone without an ax to grind that a number of schools should have received severe penalties for repeated violations of NCAA rules regarding student athletes: To wit: Georgia, Florida State, Penn State, Ohio State, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Tennessee, USC, Texas, Miami, North Carolina, and possibly Clemson, West Virginia, Florida, South Carolina, NC State, and Virginia Tech. All of those schools at one time or another have been involved in shady practices involving academics, paying players, providing drugs, alcohol, women to players, falsifying academic transcripts, attempting and often succeeding in influencing police investigations, on and on. Quite frankly, I am sick of it. Have these "gentlemen"no shame? No self respect? Have any of them an ounce of integrity that would compel them to at least try to meet minimal standards of common decency. Guess not. Party on!

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My esteemed members of this board, you have all been privy to a multitude of discussions regarding the SEC West this season. I have taken the position that they have some good teams but have been sorely over-rated all season. Others have taken positions as grand as to proclaim them the best division in the history of college football. Now that their bowl season is complete and their final resumes established, I will take a closer look at their season as a whole and reveal the hoax that has been played on the entire college football loving nation by the conference homers themselves and those who promote them. Can anybody deny the repeated nature of the narrative that has been pumped through the media streams and, in turn, repeated at the water cooler at work stations across the south? Such catch phrases as "SEC speed" have indeed just become implanted in our collective subconscious by the broken record-like mantra of the media types with an apparent agenda. The house of cards was built so high, without foundation, that the inevitable crash was all the more embarrassing for everyone involved. Unlike most posters, I will back up my positions with data, and build a case, not only firmly establishing bias, but bordering on much worse. The system by which FBS college football champions are determined is frought with deep problems and permanently fractured. Despite the step in the right direction of a 4 team playoff, further changes are needed. Bias, money and politics still play far too great a role in determining our champions.

In 2014, the SEC West followed their typical model of lining up cupcake OOC schedules to avoid losses and waiting on the fawning press to fan the flames of their dominance mantra. In fact, the SEC West scheduled a total of just 4 games this season against teams from other power 5 conferences. This pales in comparison to the ACC Atlantic, for example, who scheduled a more normal 11. They did, in fact, win those 4 games, setting the stage quite nicely.

Next, I am going to share with you some weekly rankings data that unfolded as the season progressed that strongly suggest favorable treatment, whether intended or not, to this single conference and division. We all know preseason and early season polls are not worth the paper they are printed on. CFB is afterall a hard sport to predict. There were a handful of teams across the country who finished the season with 4 or more losses that also graced the top 10 in the AP rankings at any time. Two of them were there for a single week early on, Stanford at #10 (week 2) and USC #10 (week 3). The voting media swung and missed badly with Oklahoma and Notre Dame, each spending 5 weeks in the top 10 to start the season before dropping like a rock out of the rankings all together. Besides the SEC West, those are the only teams across the entire nation to grace the top 10 in error. Now we get to the vaunted SEC West schools. T A&M(8-5 record) spent 4 weeks in the top 10 reaching as high as #6 in week 6. LSU (8-5) spent 2 weeks in the top 10 reaching as high as #8. This is where it gets good. Ole Miss (9-4) spent a total of 9 weeks in the top 10, peaking at #3 in week 13. Auburn (8-5) spent an astounding 11 weeks in the top ten, peaking at #2. There was only a single team, nation wide, to finish with 3 losses who graced the top spot in the polls at any time. What conference and division did that team come from? You guessed it. The SEC West. MSU lost three games on the season and spent weeks 8 through 12 at #1. To compound matters, the SEC had the highest ranked 1 loss team for 9 of the last 10 weeks, the highest ranked 2 loss team for 6 of the 10 weeks that a 2 loss team was ranked, the highest ranked 3 loss team for all 6 weeks that happened, and the highest ranked 4 loss team every week there was one.

So, what did the exalted SEC west do to back up this treatment in the polls? You know what they did. They finished with 2 wins and 5 losses in their bowl games when they were matched up with decent teams from other conferences. Consider this, the only games they managed to win were against a Texas team with a losing record and a West Virginia team who was forced to break in a back up QB because Tricket was out with a concussion. Auburn lost to a Wisconsin team that just got drubbed by OSU (who was playing a thrird string QB starting his first game) 59-0. Ole Miss (the former #3 in the land) got totally outclassed by TCU 42-3 in a game where the score could have easily been worse. LSU lost to Notre Dame who had just lost 5 out of its last 6 themselves. Mississippi State (former #1) lost to an ACC team with an identical conference record, in Georgia Tech, by a score of 49-34. Then finally, Alabama, supposedly the best team in the land, lost to Ohio State who was playing its third string QB again, now with one game of experience under his belt.

For the good of the sport, we need to change things and we need to change them now. The spin machine and the homers should not be deciding, or even influencing, championships. Throughout history we have seen humans get whipped into all sorts of frenzies over things that had no basis in fact. College football is no different. The forces of money, emotions, and overdeveloped sense of association are simply too powerful to ignore any longer. I love CFB, but in its present state, it is unhealthy. Unlike some sports, college football has the ability to decide champions on the field as the result of a series of head to head competitions. It is time we made the commitment to do so.

The funny thing is, even after writing this opinion, I actually feel that the SEC has some good teams. Just getting every team bowl eligible is an achievement in itself. Their performance this bowl season is indeed unfortunate. The problem is that NO CONFERENCE could possibly live up to the hype that has been generated on their behalf, whether by design or not. I give credit to the SEC for putting a lot of butts in the seats and generating a lot of excitement. They have proven to be elite in that category. It is my considered opinion that there is a lot of parity these days. I don't see any league as dramatically better than any others, despite what I read and hear. To be truthful, I don't like the idea of rooting against a certain conference when they play simply because I despise the unfair treatment they receive. But I do it. Call it a weakness. I see one thing with my own eyes and all I hear from all media outlets and fans is another.

Integrity has to count for something. Let's re-establish it; the best sport in the world is counting on us.

Boomer you need to get this analysis published in some media outlet. Very good. Thanks for sharing your thinking.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Good post Boomer. The FBS nation is laughing. All the chest-thumping and the "we are in the SEC" meme created an entire bowl season of the world vs. the SEC. Looking at the Reddit OB thread, everyone was pulling for GT except the SEC fans. They did it themselves, and now they're all scratching their heads. If the SEC continues the scheduling farce, the bowl game rude awakening will continue. All the other teams are gunning to beat "uber SEC" teams to get respect.

ESPN is fully engaged in the hoax, so they will re-start the meme next year. It's up to the rest of the sane world to point out that you cannot rate all these teams in the top 10/20. It's just not possible, and common sense should tell you there is a cushion between teams in a given conference division. Let's start by all laughing at the pre-season polls.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Really good post. I think we'll see something approaching a solution - an 8 team playoff with nothing but conference champions and a wild card or two - in the near future.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow

Boomer, you're the best. (y)

Whatllyahave

Georgia Tech Fan
No changes in perception on the horizon. For many years...50s, 60s,70s, there was a strong bias for Big 10 teams with an obvious devaluing of other conferences, most notably in the south. This bias lasted far longer than any evidence to support it. Now it is the SEC that garners hosannas from the national media. It will take years for the SEC myth to recede. We can grumble all we want but overrating of the SEC will continue. Our only solution is to whup them bastidges every time we line up with one.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Good post boomer. Add a paragraph espousing your stated preference for an 8 team playoff fielded by conference champs and submit it as letter to the editor of USA today and other papers. Great post, hit the nail on the head.

So, what did the exalted SEC west do to back up this treatment in the polls? You know what they did. They finished with 2 wins and 5 losses in their bowl games when they were matched up with decent teams from other conferences. Consider this, the only games they managed to win were against a Texas team with a losing record and a West Virginia team who was forced to break in a back up QB because Tricket was out with a concussion. Auburn lost to a Wisconsin team that just got drubbed by OSU (who was playing a thrird string QB starting his first game) 59-0. Ole Miss (the former #3 in the land) got totally outclassed by TCU 42-3 in a game where the score could have easily been worse. LSU lost to Notre Dame who had just lost 5 out of its last 6 themselves. Mississippi State (former #1) lost to an ACC team with an identical conference record, in Georgia Tech, by a score of 49-34. Then finally, Alabama, supposedly the best team in the land, lost to Ohio State who was playing its third string QB again, now with one game of experience under his belt.

That was excellent. I hope you don't mind, but I cut and pasted that in an email to all my Tech friends.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Things may be changing a bit. Lots of people around the country noticed the SEC bias this year. The bowl swoon was noted all over the place. Thank goodness for the bowls! With today's huge conferences and the scheduling habit of conference plus patsies, no one knows how teams would look out of conference until year's end.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
That guy Mark May was a total hack after the OB. After the game when it was pointed out that the SEC West had a terrible day he attempted to correct it by saying "the State of Mississippi had a terrible day" and then went on to clearly reduce the SEC to the mythical national championship wins of the past 7 of 8 years and simply Alabama.

So we are supposed to accept the ESPN b.s. narrative that the SEC is the best conference this year from day one but when the ACC sweeps the SEC East on the final day it changes to "SEC West is best division by far" and you can just drop out half the conference and still claim SEC dominance. Then when LSU, Ole Miss and MSU get beat you can drop out the state of Mississippi and still claim SEC dominance? Bad propaganda is so embarrassing and counter-productive.

So what say you now Mark May when Alabama gets beat by a third string true freshmen QB making his second career start from a woeful little sisters of the poor conference like the Big10????

MLB and NFL, etc. go to great lengths (profit sharing, salary caps, wild cards) to promote parity in their sports because they understand that it makes fiscal sense. I find it mind-boggling that ESPN can instead take such openly and vainly propagandistic approaches to trying to have a single dominant conference narrative for an entity they are heavily invested in like the SEC. Just as with the pro sports their particular products/interests in the SEC are best served by the health and attraction of the sport as a whole which will always be better served nationally by a reality of parity and the excitement of unknown and unpredictable outcomes.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I love this thread. I also loved Joey Galloway's rebuttal to Mark May. He said that SEC teams have to be held accountable for their own games. The SEC west put 3 teams in the inaugural New Year's Six and got skunked. Last night when Ohio St closed the deal, I posted on Facebook:
Congrats to the big bad SEC West on your Liberty Bowl and Advocare Texas Bowl wins.

Thanks @Boomergump. Everybody that is a fan of our beloved sport needs to read this.

AnotherBee

Georgia Tech Fan
I heard the same thing from Joey Galloway. Mark May was on about that the SEC West deserves the accolades that it gets given how many National Championships that have won. When Joey Galloway pointed out that if you're in all the important bowls by default, that you can't have it both ways. If you get into these bowls by your coattails (however undeserved), you need to win them. Mark May deflected this by "shrinking" the SEC West elite to the teams that hadn't played yet (Alabama). Galloway was good after the GT game and before Alabama vs. Ohio State making the case for the SEC needing to "own" their performance and May was sounding like the SEC shill that he is. Interesting that Galloway is an Ohio State alum as is Herbstreit but doesn't toe the ESPN party line nearly as much.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
I love this thread. I also loved Joey Galloway's rebuttal to Mark May. He said that SEC teams have to be held accountable for their own games. The SEC west put 3 teams in the inaugural New Year's Six and got skunked. Last night when Ohio St closed the deal, I posted on Facebook:
Congrats to the big bad SEC West on your Liberty Bowl and Advocare Texas Bowl wins.

Joey Galloway also was mocked by the whole ESPN panel the night the final 4 was announced when he said that Ohio State would find a way to beat Alabama, he even called the game plan, take away Cooper and Sim's will struggle. That's exactly what OSU did.
None of them even acknowledged Joey was right all a long last night.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
SEC, Sec, sec.....I could not have planned it better if I had tried. Great analysis. I am so afraid that when we go to an 8 team playoff, that the sec will get 3 teams in every year. Now let's beat the pups 8 in a row!

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with much of what is written here. However we can't deny the results of recent Natl Championship games. Until the last couple of seasons, the SEC had a higher ceiling. That was borne out by the highest-ranked non SEC team always losing (often by a wide margin) to the SEC's best on the biggest stage. No getting around it.

But at this point we can safely say the other conferences have caught up. I think a big reason is that youth/prep handegg has grown so much. There are so many good players in high school. Alabama and LSU can pick from the litter, but they would have to give out 500 scholarships a year to horde all of the superior talent in their home states alone.

Tim Tebow, whose gift as an analyst seems to be stating the obvious when nobody else wants to, said on the SEC network this morning that its a fallacy to assume other top programs aren't just as big, fast and physical as the southeastern factories at this point. 5 years ago there was an athleticism gap. Not now.