The Emperor Has No Clothes

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree with much of what is written here. However we can't deny the results of recent Natl Championship games.
Well, it is hard to lose a national championship to another conference when you are playing someone from your same division who didn't even advance to your conference championship game (Bammer vs LSU a couple years ago). That is the kind of stuff I am talking about. Give me every conference champ, regardless of ranking, in a playoff bracket with no "at larges". If the SEC champ wins it all six years in a row in that format, I will give them all the props they deserve and be first in line to do so.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
[QUOI E="Boomergump, post: 119179, member: 639"]Well, it is hard to lose a national championship to another conference when you are playing someone from your same division who didn't even advance to your conference championship game (Bammer vs LSU a couple years ago). That is the kind of stuff I am talking about. Give me every conference champ, regardless of ranking, in a playoff bracket with no "at larges". If the SEC champ wins it all six years in a row in that format, I will give them all the props they deserve and be first in line to do so.[/QUOTE]

Oh I agree totally, that matchup was bs. Someone else should have had the opportunity to play Alabama. But even omitting that season, nobody from another P5 could knock off the SEC champ back then. 7-8 seasons is a big sample size. But the times are a'changin.

Goldisbest

Georgia Tech Fan
Agree with you Boomer but I do enjoy rooting against that certain conference. You know the media guys either don't have the time or take the time to truly analyze teams. We can see that all season by the dumb remarks that the guys covering GT make during games. So, what do they do? They repeat generalities and myths that have been repeated over and over again. They make a darling conference into such a powerhouse that any loss in conference is not a bad loss and any win is a quality win. I was sick of hearing how the SEC would/should have 2 teams in the play offs under certain scenarios. Its the same lack of serious analysis that has led the media to continue to repeat the myths about our offense. I feel pretty educated when it comes to GT and ACC but I couldn't have told you how good or bad Wisconsin was. They seemed pretty bad after getting blown out by OSU but then held their own against Auburn. As much time as I spend on following GT and the ACC, I certainly don't have time to stay well informed about all of CFB. But hey, I don't get paid to analyze these teams and comment on them.
I do like to point out when someone like Ole Miss gets totally shut down by TCU, it must have been due to the extra time to prepare.
I am happy that we have the playoffs and hope it expands to 8. Without it, we were virtually guaranteed that one spot in the National Championship was reserved for the SEC. The SEC, however, may not be too happy with the play off system since their conf. championship is no longer the semi final.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I was surprised to read such a lengthy analysis of the SEC w/o the four nasty initials ESPN. But Boomer plays it straight and focuses his analysis on performance, so props to him for taking the high road.

The issue is really not the SEC's performance versus other conferences, the issue is ESPN's relentless promotion of the SEC. Nobody but nobody mercilessly promotes like ESPN. They pay the big bucks for rights then flog the bejezzus out of their programming. World Cup soccer, women's NCAA hoops, and now the SEC. The SEC gets more flogging because ESPN partnered with 'em to start the SEC Network.

Bruce et al are dead on calling Mark May to account for a particularly shameless, ridiculous bit of SECSPEN 'commentary'. I think they keep that guy around to make Lou Effin Holtz seem smart by comparison.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Agree with you Boomer but I do enjoy rooting against that certain conference. You know the media guys either don't have the time or take the time to truly analyze teams. We can see that all season by the dumb remarks that the guys covering GT make during games. So, what do they do? They repeat generalities and myths that have been repeated over and over again. They make a darling conference into such a powerhouse that any loss in conference is not a bad loss and any win is a quality win. I was sick of hearing how the SEC would/should have 2 teams in the play offs under certain scenarios. Its the same lack of serious analysis that has led the media to continue to repeat the myths about our offense. I feel pretty educated when it comes to GT and ACC but I couldn't have told you how good or bad Wisconsin was. They seemed pretty bad after getting blown out by OSU but then held their own against Auburn. As much time as I spend on following GT and the ACC, I certainly don't have time to stay well informed about all of CFB. But hey, I don't get paid to analyze these teams and comment on them.
I do like to point out when someone like Ole Miss gets totally shut down by TCU, it must have been due to the extra time to prepare.
I am happy that we have the playoffs and hope it expands to 8. Without it, we were virtually guaranteed that one spot in the National Championship was reserved for the SEC. The SEC, however, may not be too happy with the play off system since their conf. championship is no longer the semi final.
Unrelated to this discussion (to keep it on topic, SEC West proved themselves vastly overrated in the bowls), but I have gone past annoyance at the announcers to now just amusement. I was telling my friends (who haven't ever watched one of our games) that I guarantee they make a big deal about how Paul Johnson uses no play call sheet, and sure enough not even 5 minutes in they went to that one! It's like they assume whoever is watching has NEVER watched a GT game before and is completely confounded by our wacky style, even when it's a season opener against a cupcake. Who do they think is actually watching those early games? I'd have to guess the TV audience for GT-Wofford was >90% Tech fans, but yet they treat it like it's a national game of the week or something with a wide national audience. I'd really like to watch a game where they treat us like any other team instead of some anomaly.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
  • Dating back to the 2013 season, the SEC has gone 0-5 its last five BCS or New Year's Six bowl games, going 0-2 against the ACC, 0-2 against the Big 12, and 0-1 against the Big Ten.
  • The top five teams in the 2014 SEC West standings went 0-5 this bowl season. The only bowl wins for the West came courtesy of Texas A&M and Arkansas, the sixth- and seventh-place finishers in the division.

Old School

Jolly Good Fellow
The SEC has the largest fan bases, best game day atmospheres, and most importantly the weight of ESPN behind it. Don't expect the drumbeat to change. One day the conference champions will be an auto birth into the playoffs. When that happens, it'll be fair in my opinion. But the promotion of the SEC by the media will continue regardless.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Don't expect the drumbeat to change.

Based on the 2-5 record of the mighty SEC West, I think the opposite....the media has been made to look foolish so they will compensate by "overcorrecting" in the next year or two. The pendulum will swing too far back in the other direction. It's human nature.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech has more SEC wins than Vandy, and the same number of wins as Arkansas and Kentucky.
I fully believe the SEC is down. Why? Urban Meyer(probably showed he is a top 3 modern coach last night), Petrino, and Franklin left and were replaced with downgrades. Tennessee got Kiffined. There was a few year stretch when the SEC was a lot better, but this current crop of coaches pales compared to just a few years back.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Well, it is hard to lose a national championship to another conference when you are playing someone from your same division who didn't even advance to your conference championship game (Bammer vs LSU a couple years ago). That is the kind of stuff I am talking about. Give me every conference champ, regardless of ranking, in a playoff bracket with no "at larges". If the SEC champ wins it all six years in a row in that format, I will give them all the props they deserve and be first in line to do so.
That shuts the door on non-power 5 Champions and independents. Need a better plan but you're very close.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Based on the 2-5 record of the mighty SEC West, I think the opposite....the media has been made to look foolish so they will compensate by "overcorrecting" in the next year or two. The pendulum will swing too far back in the other direction. It's human nature.
They'll "overcorrect" alright. The Top 10 will be occupied by only SEC teams to make sure there's 4 SEC teams in the playoffs to guarantee an SEC national champion. The only mistake they made this year was allowing the unwashed to be ranked so high by not discrediting the resumes of FSU, Oregon and OSU, etc enough earlier in the year. They won't make the same mistake next year.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Watch "The Emperor's New Clothes" starring the SEC WEST as the Emperor and ESPN as his wait staff. (Boomer will have the role of the child that yells out the truth!) :)
upload_2014-12-30_21-52-43-png.727

wuzjrbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Joey Galloway also was mocked by the whole ESPN panel the night the final 4 was announced when he said that Ohio State would find a way to beat Alabama, he even called the game plan, take away Cooper and Sim's will struggle. That's exactly what OSU did.
None of them even acknowledged Joey was right all a long last night.

He also predicted the GT victory and was met with the same silence.

Papa Doc

Georgia Tech Fan
My esteemed members of this board, you have all been privy to a multitude of discussions regarding the SEC West this season. I have taken the position that they have some good teams but have been sorely over-rated all season. Others have taken positions as grand as to proclaim them the best division in the history of college football. Now that their bowl season is complete and their final resumes established, I will take a closer look at their season as a whole and reveal the hoax that has been played on the entire college football loving nation by the conference homers themselves and those who promote them. Can anybody deny the repeated nature of the narrative that has been pumped through the media streams and, in turn, repeated at the water cooler at work stations across the south? Such catch phrases as "SEC speed" have indeed just become implanted in our collective subconscious by the broken record-like mantra of the media types with an apparent agenda. The house of cards was built so high, without foundation, that the inevitable crash was all the more embarrassing for everyone involved. Unlike most posters, I will back up my positions with data, and build a case, not only firmly establishing bias, but bordering on much worse. The system by which FBS college football champions are determined is frought with deep problems and permanently fractured. Despite the step in the right direction of a 4 team playoff, further changes are needed. Bias, money and politics still play far too great a role in determining our champions.

In 2014, the SEC West followed their typical model of lining up cupcake OOC schedules to avoid losses and waiting on the fawning press to fan the flames of their dominance mantra. In fact, the SEC West scheduled a total of just 4 games this season against teams from other power 5 conferences. This pales in comparison to the ACC Atlantic, for example, who scheduled a more normal 11. They did, in fact, win those 4 games, setting the stage quite nicely.

Next, I am going to share with you some weekly rankings data that unfolded as the season progressed that strongly suggest favorable treatment, whether intended or not, to this single conference and division. We all know preseason and early season polls are not worth the paper they are printed on. CFB is afterall a hard sport to predict. There were a handful of teams across the country who finished the season with 4 or more losses that also graced the top 10 in the AP rankings at any time. Two of them were there for a single week early on, Stanford at #10 (week 2) and USC #10 (week 3). The voting media swung and missed badly with Oklahoma and Notre Dame, each spending 5 weeks in the top 10 to start the season before dropping like a rock out of the rankings all together. Besides the SEC West, those are the only teams across the entire nation to grace the top 10 in error. Now we get to the vaunted SEC West schools. T A&M(8-5 record) spent 4 weeks in the top 10 reaching as high as #6 in week 6. LSU (8-5) spent 2 weeks in the top 10 reaching as high as #8. This is where it gets good. Ole Miss (9-4) spent a total of 9 weeks in the top 10, peaking at #3 in week 13. Auburn (8-5) spent an astounding 11 weeks in the top ten, peaking at #2. There was only a single team, nation wide, to finish with 3 losses who graced the top spot in the polls at any time. What conference and division did that team come from? You guessed it. The SEC West. MSU lost three games on the season and spent weeks 8 through 12 at #1. To compound matters, the SEC had the highest ranked 1 loss team for 9 of the last 10 weeks, the highest ranked 2 loss team for 6 of the 10 weeks that a 2 loss team was ranked, the highest ranked 3 loss team for all 6 weeks that happened, and the highest ranked 4 loss team every week there was one.

So, what did the exalted SEC west do to back up this treatment in the polls? You know what they did. They finished with 2 wins and 5 losses in their bowl games when they were matched up with decent teams from other conferences. Consider this, the only games they managed to win were against a Texas team with a losing record and a West Virginia team who was forced to break in a back up QB because Tricket was out with a concussion. Auburn lost to a Wisconsin team that just got drubbed by OSU (who was playing a thrird string QB starting his first game) 59-0. Ole Miss (the former #3 in the land) got totally outclassed by TCU 42-3 in a game where the score could have easily been worse. LSU lost to Notre Dame who had just lost 5 out of its last 6 themselves. Mississippi State (former #1) lost to an ACC team with an identical conference record, in Georgia Tech, by a score of 49-34. Then finally, Alabama, supposedly the best team in the land, lost to Ohio State who was playing its third string QB again, now with one game of experience under his belt.

For the good of the sport, we need to change things and we need to change them now. The spin machine and the homers should not be deciding, or even influencing, championships. Throughout history we have seen humans get whipped into all sorts of frenzies over things that had no basis in fact. College football is no different. The forces of money, emotions, and overdeveloped sense of association are simply too powerful to ignore any longer. I love CFB, but in its present state, it is unhealthy. Unlike some sports, college football has the ability to decide champions on the field as the result of a series of head to head competitions. It is time we made the commitment to do so.

The funny thing is, even after writing this opinion, I actually feel that the SEC has some good teams. Just getting every team bowl eligible is an achievement in itself. Their performance this bowl season is indeed unfortunate. The problem is that NO CONFERENCE could possibly live up to the hype that has been generated on their behalf, whether by design or not. I give credit to the SEC for putting a lot of butts in the seats and generating a lot of excitement. They have proven to be elite in that category. It is my considered opinion that there is a lot of parity these days. I don't see any league as dramatically better than any others, despite what I read and hear. To be truthful, I don't like the idea of rooting against a certain conference when they play simply because I despise the unfair treatment they receive. But I do it. Call it a weakness. I see one thing with my own eyes and all I hear from all media outlets and fans is another.

Integrity has to count for something. Let's re-establish it; the best sport in the world is counting on us.

Boomer
I agree with you wholeheartedly; however, logical, well-stated arguments don't hold water in our culture which is fraught with unshakable beliefs grounded in personal perspectives seeking to be affirmed. Marketing dollars persuade us more than logic or data, even in the sports world. As long as the four letter network invests billions in what they know most consumers want to believe, and will ultimately buy, nothing will change. Thought, assessment, and observation of the obvious is far too much work and mental challenge for the majority of remote control button pushers that burp, sigh, and say, "heck, if Finebaum says it, it must be be true; roll Tide!" ESPN learned a great deal from the decades of success of others such as the EIB network and adapted the model of repetitious, pontificators of self-proclaimed truths feeding eager consumers feasting on the fatted calfs offered to them for little or no effort.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
...In fact, the SEC West scheduled a total of just 4 games this season against teams from other power 5 conferences...

...Just getting every team bowl eligible is an achievement in itself...
Is this really an achievement or have you unknowingly drunk the SEC kool-aid? Seems like if I have 4 cupcakes then I only need to win 2 of the remaining 8 (25% win percentage).

Was it an accomplishment that #8 Ole Miss was shutout 30-0 by a bottom-feeding 6-6 Arkansas? Was it an accomplishment that #3 Auburn lost to an A&M team whose only divisional win is against a bottom-feeding 6-6 Arkansas?

Accomplishment? More like dumpster fire:
bQyT0Qf.gif

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That shuts the door on non-power 5 Champions and independents. Need a better plan but you're very close.
Why would it shut the door on non power 5? Did I not say all conference winners? That includes all non power 5 conference champs. Independents need to join a conference. No excuses.