The CPJ Bowl

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The WSJ piece was pretty good, but without -- pardon the irony -- the usual WSJ precision. Nowhere is Johnson mentioned, and Monken's time at Georgia Tech after Navy is ignored altogether. The point is nobody knows where this offense came from in this piece though I still like it, and it is a really good get. This paragraph pretty much gets to the heart of it, about it being angles and numbers ... and timing. It sums it up nicely. (And it just might, maybe, explain a little bit about players transferring out.)

"Just understanding the offense is the biggest thing—knowing how to maneuver everybody, get everybody on the right guys,” said Ahmad Bradshaw, a senior quarterback from Chicago who set a single-season school record with 1,472 rushing (not passing) yards. “It’s all about timing, angles, when to block a guy at a certain time. It’s not like you block a guy whenever you want.”

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I posted earlier the had 6 ol on a key drive.
Wonder if we could coach up something like that. Out with the little ab and in with two lb. They could give a lb a fit in space!?
In the last 6 quarters of season , when we should be peaking , we scored 1 touch down. After 600 yards rushing in game 1, we ended last game with 47 rush attempts and 190 yards. With fast start i thought we could have a special season. With the rapid decline I really fear (15) the tough schedule we play next year.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Meh, every single time I saw that play run, it was just a QB Keeper. The last thing our offense needs is more QB Keepers - we had more than enough of that crap this year.
Well, yes, but that was due to the snow. Remember that?

The reason I think we might run a few plays from this formation is that it does make getting deep enough to pass easier. True, it also makes play action more problematic. This call will be up to Coach and what happens this spring, imho.

The WSJ piece was pretty good, but without -- pardon the irony -- the usual WSJ precision. Nowhere is Johnson mentioned, and Monken's time at Georgia Tech after Navy is ignored altogether. The point is nobody knows where this offense came from in this piece though I still like it, and it is a really good get. This paragraph pretty much gets to the heart of it, about it being angles and numbers ... and timing. It sums it up nicely. (And it just might, maybe, explain a little bit about players transferring out.)

"Just understanding the offense is the biggest thing—knowing how to maneuver everybody, get everybody on the right guys,” said Ahmad Bradshaw, a senior quarterback from Chicago who set a single-season school record with 1,472 rushing (not passing) yards. “It’s all about timing, angles, when to block a guy at a certain time. It’s not like you block a guy whenever you want.”
I also thought it strange that Johnson's name was never mentioned yesterday during the game, unless I somehow missed it.

Well, yes, but that was due to the snow. Remember that?

The reason I think we might run a few plays from this formation is that it does make getting deep enough to pass easier. True, it also makes play action more problematic. This call will be up to Coach and what happens this spring, imho.

don't get me wrong - it might work if the QB actually decides to make it more of an option than a keeper. If TQ is taking that snap, it'll be a QB Keeper 100% of the time!!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I also thought it strange that Johnson's name was never mentioned yesterday during the game, unless I somehow missed it.
I try not to be paranoid even when I am being chased but the complete exclusion of the Ga. Tech years on his resume is very odd. Suspicious even. I don't mean against Tech, or against Johnson. But it is almost, just about, quite like those analysts and sportswriters who were crowing in 2008 that Johnson's gimmick, high school offense would never work in big boy football. And so the writer contains it to a startup in FBS and service academies. One reason I believe it is the news side reputation of the WSJ, even under Murdock. How else to explain the venerable Journal omitting two years of his career? Or am I just imagining black helicopters?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I try not to be paranoid even when I am being chased but the complete exclusion of the Ga. Tech years on his resume is very odd. Suspicious even. I don't mean against Tech, or against Johnson. But it is almost, just about, quite like those analysts and sportswriters who were crowing in 2008 that Johnson's gimmick, high school offense would never work in big boy football. And so the writer contains it to a startup in FBS and service academies. One reason I believe it is the news side reputation of the WSJ, even under Murdock. How else to explain the venerable Journal omitting two years of his career? Or am I just imagining black helicopters?
News article
1. With gt at 5-6 and no bowl
Silence about gt - best case

Worst case
Coach Monken of Army has his team playing like a well oiled machine unlike his mentor, Paul Johnson , whose ga tech team only scored 7 points in the last 2 games and isn't going bowling for second time in 3 years.

2. With gt 8-3 & bowling.
Coach Monken has his team playing like a well oiled machine. His mentor , Paul Johnson (,whose gt team is back on the bowling track) is surely proud of his pupil.

I am proud of the quality men ( coaches and players) that come thru coach.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

How often is Johnson's time coaching at Hawaii brought up? Almost never. Monken's time here was a very small thing compared to his overall coaching career. You're imagining black helicopters.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
How often is Johnson's time coaching at Hawaii brought up? Almost never. Monken's time here was a very small thing compared to his overall coaching career. You're imagining black helicopters.
Ah, probably. Yet is very odd that his first P5 coaching job was ignored and even if just a mistake, it is a terrible mistake for a good reporter to make. Like telling that hot girl about your exploits but without the two years in Leavenworth. I think I hear that odd thumping noise up there ...