The CPJ Bowl

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
You can run out the gun too, but running plays from under center on 3 & 15 is ridiculous to me. It puts the qb in a clear disadvantage.
Our passing game is based off the run and shoot. The run and shoot relies on qb motion and footwork to help create throwing lanes it's essential for smaller qbs to get throwing lanes

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Why no pure Flexbone. 1. The weather dictates more straight ahead running. 2, do you really think they would run the same plays they run all season against each other. It would be like Tech playing itself. Did you notice though that when Army is in the flex the B back is further back, like we did in 2008-09. I said here several time we need to do this to allow our B-back to read the hole better.
Depth of back has more to do with time to mesh the mesh is still at the line. Laskey and days also lined up further back due to being bigger backs

LibertyTurns

Banned
I always root for Navy. My Dad served on the USS Alabama.

Go Jackets!
Man that must have been cool serving on a battle wagon. She had 9 Battle Stars. I’m assuming your Dad was there for some of those at least. Alabama was a pivotal force in the Marianas Turkey Shoot. Besides that she appeared to be involved in half the major operations in the Pacific- Guam, Saipan, Kwajalein, Truk, Titian, etc.

My only close up experience with the BB’s was sitting on Vieques. The round comes out and you can see it. A little while later you hear it. Then the round impacts and a couple of miles away you shake like all hell. Amazing ships.

Animal02

Banned
Man that must have been cool serving on a battle wagon. She had 9 Battle Stars. I’m assuming your Dad was there for some of those at least. Alabama was a pivotal force in the Marianas Turkey Shoot. Besides that she appeared to be involved in half the major operations in the Pacific- Guam, Saipan, Kwajalein, Truk, Titian, etc.

My only close up experience with the BB’s was sitting on Vieques. The round comes out and you can see it. A little while later you hear it. Then the round impacts and a couple of miles away you shake like all hell. Amazing ships.
Toured the New Jersey.......just amazing the size. The Battle Bridge was enclosed in steel that looked about 16” thick. Could not imagine living on a ship like that in the Pacific in WW2.

coldbeer

Ramblin' Wreck
Unfortunately, the USCGA went 3-7 this year, losing to our bitter rivals USMMA 48-23. I'll probably root for Navy in this one.
AJ - Did you go to USCGA? I applied coming out of H.S. many moons ago and got waitlisted. Diddo for USMMA.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Lol. Some of the responses on here just because 2 of CPJ's old assistants decided to not go flex heavy. I guess by some of the comments, lining up in the I, or pistol, or one back are all the same because, hey, you're trying to get your best player the best chance of success.

LOL.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Why no pure Flexbone. 1. The weather dictates more straight ahead running. 2, do you really think they would run the same plays they run all season against each other. It would be like Tech playing itself. Did you notice though that when Army is in the flex the B back is further back, like we did in 2008-09. I said here several time we need to do this to allow our B-back to read the hole better.

Just an FYI since this is probably the first time many have paid attention to Navy and Army. Both teams have actually used a LOT of non-flex formations, and a lot shotgun plays. Both are still attrocious throwing the football (seriously, Monken made a comment that he pretty much hates throwing the ball), but it's still nice to see coaches change it up and give the defenses different things to think about.

Someone made a comment earlier about our RnS passing plays, and how angles are important. The same goes for running plays, and timing. A deeper snap means the timing of blocks and where the ball carrier is changes things up as well. When guys are going full speed in the trenches and the aspect of timing the blocks and getting an angle on the ball carrier changes, that does make a difference.

Point is, it's nice to see two coaches considered some of the best in the profession at their system (the flexbone) think outside the box to get the ball to their playmakers.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It's ridiculous that CPJ doesn't adopt more of these plays, especially on passing downs.
Why?
not sure it works that way. He's going to get the ball in exactly the same spot. If he was further back it probably was becaue his first couple of steps are extraordinary and he's on the QB too fast for the mesh.We have done that before, too.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It does when your QB is 5'10 and your OLine has questionable pass protection. Put him in the gun.
Again, so what? Put him where you please. If he can't play pass and catch, it is an exercise in playing coach. Our problem is passing, period. Thomas was supposedly 5-11 -- I will believe it if you will -- and did okay throwing from behind center. No world beater, but enough. And his whole attitude toward mechanics and technique was enough to show why Alabama was not going to play him behind center.But for Johnson, good enough and the best in his 10 years. (Make Lee stop whining and he would have been.)

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Again, so what? Put him where you please. If he can't play pass and catch, it is an exercise in playing coach. Our problem is passing, period. Thomas was supposedly 5-11 -- I will believe it if you will -- and did okay throwing from behind center. No world beater, but enough. And his whole attitude toward mechanics and technique was enough to show why Alabama was not going to play him behind center.But for Johnson, good enough and the best in his 10 years. (Make Lee stop whining and he would have been.)
Problem with Lee is he did not like contact. I agree though that when we pass it has to be successful. Hoping LJ and even TO can make a run at the position this year.