The "Collins effect "........

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Golden, the "temper your ambition, there's no way a fraidy cat like me can be successful" crowds are very useful in real life, they provide the fearful masses that leaders need for extraordinary achievement... but in the context of fandom hobby, it's just weak...ok, let's say sad.

Jump on that GT Geuice Train... it's gonna roll on either way!! :)
Well, okay then.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Golden, the "temper your ambition, there's no way a fraidy cat like me can be successful" crowds are very useful in real life, they provide the fearful masses that leaders need for extraordinary achievement... but in the context of fandom hobby, it's just weak...ok, let's say sad.

Jump on that GT Geuice Train... it's gonna roll on either way!! :)

If the football God is for us, who can be against us?

-Romans 8:31

(Quote updated to reflect modern CFB times :))

Sometimes I think GT fans are our own worst enemies.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
“Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right.”

-Henry Ford

And Ford never expected a car to assemble itself. In fact he looked to a new way of doing so and perfected an assembly line to modernize manufacturing.

He thought he could and took actions to make sure he succeeded.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We averaged about 2-3 4 stars under CPJ. With the exception of a handful of them being on offense, the vast majority of 4 star recruits we've signed over the last decade were on defense. We all know why the 4 star recruits were skewed to the defensive side.

It's not hard to imagine GT signing 4-6 4 stars per year if our offensive numbers catch up to the defensive side.

BTW, hush-hush word is CGC might have landed a 4 star offensive player over the weekend. I'm sure that will disappoint some if he did.

Who here is rooting against CGC?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Yup. GT's bread and butter will always be the 3 stars that are underrated but we develop into high level contributors. That's actually the "Stanford Model" as well. The hope is the if we can add those 4-6 4 Stars every year, GT gets a cumulative effect that a portion of them will pan out and be "difference makers" for us that gives us impact/special plays every game that can be a game changer.

That's essentially what the 2008-2009, and 2014 teams were. 3 star players that develped into really good college players, complemented by special playmakers. IMO, that is the formula for success at GT. We're NEVER going to out recruit UGA or 'Bama or FSU or Clemson...but we can get enough elite guys over a 4-5 year period that we have cumulative effect in addition to developing solid talent that it will all turn into teams that can compete with those factories.

Some here appear to be arguing that if we don’t aim to out recruit Clemson...we are shooting for mediocrity. :rolleyes:

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
And Ford never expected a car to assemble itself. In fact he looked to a new way of doing so and perfected an assembly line to modernize manufacturing.

He thought he could and took actions to make sure he succeeded.
Well, we've tried one assembly model, and we've maxed out our production. Do we go to the bank and take out another massive investment loan and try what we believe can yield that better production that will allow us to succeed at expanding? Or do we kick rocks and except our limited market?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This is so well said:

I genuinely seek to understand the perspective of individuals that live in a world of low expectations... The "we can't possibly be great" mentality is born of a significant lack of self confidence, a debilitating fear of failure... that much is clear. Keep those expectations whittled down to the point that nothing can disappoint.

Being an enthusiastic advocate and believer in my new coach and my football team is a heartfelt hobby for me, it is not as if I am gambling my family's well being on a wild bet.

Relax a little, have some fun, and be excited for our new opportunity... we have an accomplished and enthusiastic new Coach... There is no real risk in jumping on the Geuice Train and enjoying the ride... I'm sure going to..!!

I’m glad you are pumped about the new coach. I think he has a high ceiling. But if you think Tech funding remaining at 61 of 65 p5 programs doesn’t lower his ceiling.,,.you probably are delusional.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
When the barbarian hordes attack us in untold millions, I want you in the foxhole with me. Your attitude is what overcomes.

And I want a guy in my foxhole that recognizes the threats in our environment, is vigilant in detecting them as they arise, and is prepared to attack them violently when they do.

I don’t want someone praying to God for salvation with eyes closed convincing himself that is all that is necessary to survive.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I’ve never dogged the school to prop up a coach. That’s your game.

This is such an ironically incorrect statement bulging with hypocrisy that I must assume you are simply trolling.

If not give a single example of what you allege. And don’t play the taking it out of context stupidity in your attempt.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
You are exactly right. It used to be the ones who thought the program could do better than Johnson were seen as negative by the majority on this board. Now the perception has changed and those that think Johnson was as good as we can do are seen as negative. Which is what they have always been in my mind.

The man retired. Move on.

And yet you are the only one even talking about the prior coach. Smh

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Sorry to bump this so soon as the last sentence is so true. HIRE OUR BRENT VENABLES ON OFFENSE.
I understand your meaning but Venables is a nut case coaching defense. Offense needs a cooler approach like Friedgen.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I've never heard a single argument for that on here. I certainly have never argued that.

Nobody has said that. Tell yourself what you need to to keep your argument going in your mind.

Both of you made/make such straw man posts about supporters of CPJ.

Your complete lack of self awareness that you are getting your own medicine is embarassing.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Both of you made/make such straw man posts about supporters of CPJ.

Your complete lack of self awareness that you are getting your own medicine is embarassing.

I try not to draw straw men. If I fail I apologize. Facts are something I try to bring to all discussions. I’m glad you recognize the straw man whiskey is drawing up now though my friend.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m glad you are pumped about the new coach. I think he has a high ceiling. But if you think Tech funding remaining at 61 of 65 p5 programs doesn’t lower his ceiling.,,.you probably are delusional.
I think that we will address that disparity based on renewed interest and commitment Whiskey...and I believe Coach Collins will inspire that renewed interest, really do.
I may well be delusional, but I'm firmly committed to it... :):)

GoldenBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
And I want a guy in my foxhole that recognizes the threats in our environment, is vigilant in detecting them as they arise, and is prepared to attack them violently when they do.

I don’t want someone praying to God for salvation with eyes closed convincing himself that is all that is necessary to survive.

Well, I agree with you. If there's something in our situation that is dangerous to us, we need to know and make adjustments. But the biggest danger is the belief that we can win, that we can't overcome.