The "Collins effect "........

Animal02

Banned
No 5 stars soon but some solid first year starters on offense should be doable.
We are trending better on defensive side for a few years. Got a head coach that knows defense so we should have consistent direction there which will bear fruit in the next few years.

I dont keep up w stars but since u mention it, can u go on record as to how. few 4 stars is failure, good, and great?
I am not saying any number of 3-4-5* is a failure. For the record, I do not believe Tech has ever landed a 5 star, and the 4s have been few and far between.
My point is that there are several people that are delusional thinking that just because of a new coach, that magically Tech is going to land 4-5 4 & 5* a year with everything else being the status quo.
Is it possible to do? Maybe, if the investment is made. Will it happen with the current funding.........odds of running the table and winning the Natty are probably better.

Animal02

Banned
I don't want to be realistic. It's rather boring and I'm tired of us being realistic. I want us to strive for greatness, regardless of the odds. The great don't just aim for what's "realistic".
The great realize what is realistic and make changes to accomplish their goals. The delusional think by simply by changing the driver, the yugo will suddenly outrun a porsche.

GoldenBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
The great realize what is realistic and make changes to accomplish their goals. The delusional think by simply by changing the driver, the yugo will suddenly outrun a porsche.

I'm not under any delusion that bringing on CGC is going to automatically change anything, especially when it comes to beating Cow Town. Tech's ultimate goal, however, should be to win each and every game. Greatness does not lower it's standards because they are unrealistic. It does not settle for beating UGH-A 50% or less of the time. So if we have to change something to reach perfection, then fine, less do it. But I do think the first thing we needed to change was our attitude and expectations and we get that with Collins.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
It is not miserable fans.....it is fans that are not delusional and looking at things realistically.
I believe a lot of the people you're responding to are not as delusional as you think. This is a process. Let's help Coach Collins create a Buzz. Let's buy in. That's a first step as a fanbase. Then, if he's not up to snuff as a coach, or if the mountains you say are too high to climb, in fact, are, then we'll adjust our expectations or lodge our legitimate complaints. But in the meantime, what does it benefit you, I, or the Georgia Tech football program to say, "Can't, can't, can't"?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I am not saying any number of 3-4-5* is a failure. For the record, I do not believe Tech has ever landed a 5 star, and the 4s have been few and far between.
My point is that there are several people that are delusional thinking that just because of a new coach, that magically Tech is going to land 4-5 4 & 5* a year with everything else being the status quo.
Is it possible to do? Maybe, if the investment is made. Will it happen with the current funding.........odds of running the table and winning the Natty are probably better.
So will u be over joyed w 3 4 stars next year? 4? 5?

Next year if we get 5 4 stars (2 dl ) , I would run down yellow jacket alley hooping and hollering.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So will u be over joyed w 3 4 stars next year? 4? 5?

Next year if we get 5 4 stars (2 dl ) , I would run down yellow jacket alley hooping and hollering.

We averaged about 2-3 4 stars under CPJ. With the exception of a handful of them being on offense, the vast majority of 4 star recruits we've signed over the last decade were on defense. We all know why the 4 star recruits were skewed to the defensive side.

It's not hard to imagine GT signing 4-6 4 stars per year if our offensive numbers catch up to the defensive side.

BTW, hush-hush word is CGC might have landed a 4 star offensive player over the weekend. I'm sure that will disappoint some if he did.

GoldenBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
It is not miserable fans.....it is fans that are not delusional and looking at things realistically.

Was Vince Lombardi delusional when he entered middle of nowhere ice station Green Bay, whose team had been crap for years and told the players that they would strive for perfection?

Did he say, men, we're shootin' for mediocre, because, frankly, that's about the best we're going to be able to do? No.

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence". - Vince Lombardi

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We averaged about 2-3 4 stars under CPJ. With the exception of a handful of them being on offense, the vast majority of 4 star recruits we've signed over the last decade were on defense. We all know why the 4 star recruits were skewed to the defensive side.

It's not hard to imagine GT signing 4-6 4 stars per year if our offensive numbers catch up to the defensive side.

BTW, hush-hush word is CGC might have landed a 4 star offensive player over the weekend. I'm sure that will disappoint some if he did.
Don't get me wrong - our foundation is 3 stars that stay 5 years and go out w a bang. Add some 4 stars each year and then a couple of 3 year tech players and we will be legit in Georgia.

Hope your rumor proves out

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Don't get me wrong - our foundation is 3 stars that stay 5 years and go out w a bang. Add some 4 stars each year and then a couple of 3 year tech players and we will be legit in Georgia.

Yup. GT's bread and butter will always be the 3 stars that are underrated but we develop into high level contributors. That's actually the "Stanford Model" as well. The hope is the if we can add those 4-6 4 Stars every year, GT gets a cumulative effect that a portion of them will pan out and be "difference makers" for us that gives us impact/special plays every game that can be a game changer.

That's essentially what the 2008-2009, and 2014 teams were. 3 star players that develped into really good college players, complemented by special playmakers. IMO, that is the formula for success at GT. We're NEVER going to out recruit UGA or 'Bama or FSU or Clemson...but we can get enough elite guys over a 4-5 year period that we have cumulative effect in addition to developing solid talent that it will all turn into teams that can compete with those factories.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe a lot of the people you're responding to are not as delusional as you think. This is a process. Let's help Coach Collins create a Buzz. Let's buy in. That's a first step as a fanbase. Then, if he's not up to snuff as a coach, or if the mountains you say are too high to climb, in fact, are, then we'll adjust our expectations or lodge our legitimate complaints. But in the meantime, what does it benefit you, I, or the Georgia Tech football program to say, "Can't, can't, can't"?
This is so well said:

I genuinely seek to understand the perspective of individuals that live in a world of low expectations... The "we can't possibly be great" mentality is born of a significant lack of self confidence, a debilitating fear of failure... that much is clear. Keep those expectations whittled down to the point that nothing can disappoint.

Being an enthusiastic advocate and believer in my new coach and my football team is a heartfelt hobby for me, it is not as if I am gambling my family's well being on a wild bet.

Relax a little, have some fun, and be excited for our new opportunity... we have an accomplished and enthusiastic new Coach... There is no real risk in jumping on the Geuice Train and enjoying the ride... I'm sure going to..!!

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Did you guys notice the billboards for GT football up on 85, in Gwinnett? Been there for a few months now as far as I can tell.

GoldenBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
This is so well said:

I genuinely seek to understand the perspective of individuals that live in a world of low expectations... The "we can't possibly be great" mentality is born of a significant lack of self confidence, a debilitating fear of failure... that much is clear. Keep those expectations whittled down to the point that nothing can disappoint.

Being an enthusiastic advocate and believer in my new coach and my football team is a heartfelt hobby for me, it is not as if I am gambling my family's well being on a wild bet.

Relax a little, have some fun, and be excited for our new opportunity... we have an accomplished and enthusiastic new Coach... There is no real risk in jumping on the Geuice Train and enjoying the ride... I'm sure going to..!!

When the barbarian hordes attack us in untold millions, I want you in the foxhole with me. Your attitude is what overcomes.

Animal02

Banned
You completely miss the point. The delusion is that simply changing the driver is all Tech needs for the Yugo to outrun the Porsche. There are structure issues that need to be addressed as several others have pointed out. Without those changes, things will not change dramatically. No one has said Tech cannot be great. We are simply facing the reality that there are bigger issues that need resolving.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
You completely miss the point. The delusion is that simply changing the driver is all Tech needs for the Yugo to outrun the Porsche. There are structure issues that need to be addressed as several others have pointed out. Without those changes, things will not change dramatically. No one has said Tech cannot be great. We are simply facing the reality that there are bigger issues that need resolving.
Who is suggesting we'll change dramatically? Who is even suggesting we NEED to change dramatically? People you've talked to? I don't know of anyone on here?

Let me define for you what I think we can be. I don't think we can be Bama. I think we can do what Stanford's done. I do, and ohhh, I'm sorry if I dragged them into the discussion. I think we can be Top 25 on the field and MUCH better than 45 - 70th in recruiting ranks, which is what we are. I think we can have that occasional Top 10, CFB playoff discussion. Yes, the academics have clamped down since O'Leary, but Atlanta and it's talent pool have EXPLODED. Many challenges about Tech have not changed, but many have for the better.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I’ve never dogged the school to prop up a coach. That’s your game.

You are exactly right. It used to be the ones who thought the program could do better than Johnson were seen as negative by the majority on this board. Now the perception has changed and those that think Johnson was as good as we can do are seen as negative. Which is what they have always been in my mind.

The man retired. Move on.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
When the barbarian hordes attack us in untold millions, I want you in the foxhole with me. Your attitude is what overcomes.
Golden, the "temper your ambition, there's no way a fraidy cat like me can be successful" crowds are very useful in real life, they provide the fearful masses that leaders need for extraordinary achievement... but in the context of fandom hobby, it's just weak...ok, let's say sad.

Jump on that GT Geuice Train... it's gonna roll on either way!! :)