The cold hard facts of GT Offense, Defense, Head Coaches

Milwaukee

Banned
Hey Knox thanks for the debate. I've never understood the Johnson without Gailey's players thing. Nesbitt was a second string tight end under Gailey.
Gailey would not have beaten UGA in anther 10 years. He never had a second team QB ready to play, hamstrung Calvin Johnson's college career with mediocare QB play, and we all look back fondly on the loss to Wake.
Gailey wasn't winning with Gailey's players. How does the Gailey player thing fit into Johnson's the 11-3 season? Blind squirrel?
Your going to give credit to O'Leary for pulling us out of the BL mess, but call Gailey's program a Porsche ready to be driven?

What in God's name are you talking about?

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
That Wake Forest team was loaded. Cfb fans know this, unfortunately most Tech fans do not. I think we should've/could've won that game, but the Tech faithful who talk like you're talking sound about like the crowd that keeps yelling that Johnson lost to Duke 4 out of 5. Neither camp understands that the Wake team in 06 was REALLY talented and nor do they understand today's Duke program is not what it used to be.
Eh, Wake was good in 06, but we were better. If it wasn't played on a rice patty, we probably beat them. The playcalling was frustrating, but Reggie couldn't get any grip and Calvin couldn't get any footing that day. It was just typical Chan Gailey over-the-top conservative offense. As for Duke, their record the last 2 years is 2 games better than ours (7-6, 7-5), the 2 games that they beat us. If that's where we're at, just damn. Wake hung 59 on them and Pitt 54. Army beat them last year. They are not world beaters.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
You should look at Ralph's record when he stopped running the option. Ralph's first 3 years there he ran a lot of option. When he went away from it so did his success, except his last year.

Didn’t Fridge hand the offense over to an OC around then? Charlie Taffe?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Eh, Wake was good in 06, but we were better. If it wasn't played on a rice patty, we probably beat them. The playcalling was frustrating, but Reggie couldn't get any grip and Calvin couldn't get any footing that day. It was just typical Chan Gailey over-the-top conservative offense. As for Duke, there record the last 2 years is 2 games better than ours (7-6, 7-5), the 2 games that they beat us. If that's where we're at just damn. Wake hung 59 on them and Pitt 54. Army beat them last year. They are not world beaters.

They ARE CPJ option beaters though...

Milwaukee

Banned
Eh, Wake was good in 06, but we were better. If it wasn't played on a rice patty, we probably beat them. The playcalling was frustrating, but Reggie couldn't get any grip and Calvin couldn't get any footing that day. It was just typical Chan Gailey over-the-top conservative offense. As for Duke, their record the last 2 years is 2 games better than ours (7-6, 7-5), the 2 games that they beat us. If that's where we're at, just damn. Wake hung 59 on them and Pitt 54. Army beat them last year. They are not world beaters.

It sounds like we are in complete agreement yet you don't realize it?

Duke is in no way Georgia, but they aren't terrible like the anti PJ crowd tries to make them sound. And 06 Wake isn't Bama, but they're not even close to bad like the anti Gailey/pro PJ crowd tries to make them sound.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Didn’t Fridge hand the offense over to an OC around then? Charlie Taffe?

I believe that Taaffe was OC for Fridge the first five years at Maryland. (Taaffe was a solid offensive coach, successful using the wishbone at The Citadel as well as adapting to the wide-open offenses of the CFL, where he was twice coach of the year. I believe Taaffe was among the guys considered when O'Leary left, but unfortunately Tech went for Gailey.)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

The real issue is that Duke is actually putting money into their program. If we want to make them a doormat again, we at least need to math their spending on football.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
You still haven't answered the question...

Obviously there were no Gailey players on the 2014 team. I didn't think that needed to be spelled out. There were also no Gailey players on the following teams:
2012: 5-7 against the FBS
2013: 5-6 against the FBS
2015: 2-9 against the FBS (B*** L****-esque)
2016: 8-4 against the FBS (the other good team)
2017: 4-6 against the FBS
2018: 6-5 against the FBS (good by post 2007 class standards?)

Throw out the outliers 2014 and 2015 and that is still crap. Worse than old Gomer Gailey.

Obviously there were no Gailey players on the 2014 team. I didn't think that needed to be spelled out. There were also no Gailey players on the following teams:

Throw out the outliers 2014 and 2015 and that is still crap. Worse than old Gomer Gailey.

Funny how you keep bringing up records and FBS teams....you do realize we have had an FCS team on the schedule every year since 1983.....

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That is 100% factually incorrect.

I really don't have much to add in the way of value or content, but isn't the phrase "factually incorrect" redundant? perhaps, it's me but when I think of things being incorrect, I automatically default to "facts" because I have always assumed opinions can't be wrong by their very very definition. Or am I overthinking things again? My wife says I do this all the time and she blames my time at Tech moreso than my parents who she always got along well with but I digress, are you going to the bowl game this year?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Funny how you keep bringing up records and FBS teams....you do realize we have had an FCS team on the schedule every year since 1983.....

Driving that narrative...

tenor.gif

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Did you throw out the FCS games CCG played as well as his outliers as well? For instance, that 2006 team had wins against Samford and Troy. Both FCS teams.

Still cherry picking...

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm fine with these posts that want to say that Paul Johnson isn't getting enough respect from fans, and that he's better than he's getting credit for. What I don't care for is the "we can't this", "we can't that" stuff, putting limitations on the new coach before he's coached a game. To say that a guy who's had successful defenses as a coordinator at two SEC schools and as a HC can't have a successful defense here because "Tech can't do that" is way premature. John Tenuta had success at Tech by being innovative defensively.
I didnt see any one in this thread saying PJ wasnt getting his due. The post was about who the guy felt was the two best coaches over a period of time at Tech. The tone of your posts sound almost personal. I loved PJ for several reasons listed on here but at the same time hated some limitations. I also have reason to be pumped about our hire due to personal communication with players off of the 2001 team. We can love Paul and Love our Hire. One last thing: for all those comments (found through out this board) concerning Paul not being able to move the ball against good D, it can also be said that our good friend John Tenuta looked really bad against good offenses. Matt Ryan says hello. Both were creative and both were made to look very human when the jimmies and joes were way way better.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Did you throw out the FCS games CCG played as well as his outliers as well? For instance, that 2006 team had wins against Samford and Troy. Both FCS teams.

Still cherry picking...

I did. Gailey never had a losing record even removing FCS games. Troy became FBS (I-A) in 2001. They were in the Sun Belt in 2006. We've basically played a Sun Belt team plus at least one FCS team every year CPJ has been coach.

Gailey played Samford 3 times. Those were his only FCS (I-AA) opponents.
O'Leary played The Citadel once and Furman once. Those were his only FCS (I-AA) opponents.

To do any real comparisons between the three you have to remove those games.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I did. Gailey never had a losing record even removing FCS games. Troy became FBS (I-A) in 2001. They were in the Sun Belt in 2006. We've basically played a Sun Belt team plus at least one FCS team every year CPJ has been coach.

Gailey played Samford 3 times. Those were his only FCS (I-AA) opponents.
O'Leary played The Citadel once and Furman once. Those were his only FCS (I-AA) opponents.

To do any real comparisons between the three you have to remove those games.
Dude drop it he is gone. You are getting old with you CPJ hate.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
Regarding the offense during GOL and fridge's impact, which was no doubt great, but it's a little bit of a stretch to say we we're only good because of Ralph.
You discount that by thentimt Ralph arrived in 97, we had gone through 2 rebuilding seasons after Lewis. Ralph also had the best QB and probably best player in GT history in Joe ham at QB. Really the only season you could point to in 2001. .I disagree with your opinion...
We we're 7-5 in 97 with fridge and Joe and 7-5 in 01 without both