The cold hard facts of GT Offense, Defense, Head Coaches

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Not making excuses for Gailey, but I was at that ACCCG against Wake, waterlogged and soaked to the bone through my pancho. Calvin needed a boat and water skis that day. Still were the better team, and found a way not to win.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
CPJ got boat-raced by MTSU at home. He lost to a Kansas team that was coming off a loss to an FCS. He lost to the worst Tennessee team of all-time. One of his best teams cam within a whisker of losing to G-W. That wake forest team was way better than any of those.
Chan Gailey lost to Duke when Ted Roof was coaching them and they were on a 29 game ACC losing streak. Welcome to Tech. We are going to have some bad losses. Collins isn't going to avoid this.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Think it was 1999. We lost to a putrid WF team. We lost to Furman and 2-3 yrs later they came in and tied us. Bammer lost to La-Monroe, Mich lost to Appy St. Big name teams will never stop losing head scratcher games no matter how big the talent disparity. If you don’t want to lose to an FCS team, the only way you can prevent that from happening is to not schedule them!

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Nobody is advocating that we should hire Chan Gailey back. I think what he is saying is that Chan is on par with Johnson. Johnson had higher highs but lower lows. The Kansas loss was as bad if not worse than the Duke loss but neither were acceptable at the time.

TVan

Georgia Tech Fan
All:

New poster, diehard fan. Reading these posts comparing HC, win percentages, bowl games, ACC titles, appearances etc., it’s interesting to discuss until Collins starts, then we have new topics.

Bottom line: GT has enjoyed substantial success three times since 1980’s.
Bobby Ross- God bless Homer Rice and Bobby Ross- named my dog after him. A Ross among dozens of Herschels.
George O’Leary- There's more to the story.
Paul Johnson.

Post after post comparing head coaches, who’s the best, who won more, who had injures, who won with someone else’s talent, O’Leary slightly ahead of Johnson, Gailey did a decent job. My head starts exploding.

The two best coaches at Georgia Tech, since Pepper- Ralph Friedgen and Paul Johnson. That’s it , that’s the list.
Yes, Ralph was not a head coach. Just an unquestioned offensive genius. Problem is, we didn’t know to what extent he carried programs, until a few years after he left for Maryland. A bit of history:
Ross / Friedgen- 3 ACC titles at Maryland, National Championship at Tech, Super Bowl appearance with Chargers
O’Leary / Friedgen- One of the best 4 year runs in Tech history. 34-14, 3 and 1 in the season ending non-conference game.
Friedgen leaves for Maryland, 10-2 initial season, wins 27 COY awards, O’Leary goes 7-5 and leaves for Notre Dame.
O’Leary record at Tech without Ralph- 18-16 (not counting 0-3, to finish BL season).
Why do you think Notre Dame changed its mind on O’Leary? A 20 year old fib on his resume? Come on now.

Friedens’s career as a coordinator and head coach;
Maryland- 3 consecutive ACC titles
Tech- National Championship
San Diego Chargers- Super Bowl appearance
Tech/O'Leary- 4 year run: 34-14 Co- ACC title

Leaves for Maryland, officially known as the dumpster fire. One winning season in the past 10 years.
Year 1- 10-2 Orange Bowl
Year 2- 11-3 Peach Bowl. Maryland first bowl win in 15 years
Year 3- 10-3 Gator Bowl win
In four years at ‘Dumpster Fire’, Ralph set the record for wins in ACC (for a 4 year period)

Overall record at Maryland 75-50. Ralph was fired after going 9-4 and a bowl game win. Apparently, the AD thought Maryland was now Nebraska. Last and not least for all of us. Ralph’s record versus the Mutts: 5 and 4. ‘Nugh said. Build a statue.

So on my Mount Rushmore of Georgia Tech Head Ccoaches:

Bobby Dodd
Bobby Ross- absolutely won a National Freaking Championship
Paul Johnson- Offensive genius, Sideline genius, improved the academic performance every year he was here.
#4- Open to debate. But it ain’t O’Leary.

All this to highlight there is more to the numbers than wins, percentages, titles, especially for Tech. Tech will not win consistently with defense and special teams. Tech football for the past 40 years, we have only won with tremendous offensive innovators. We won a National championship with good/greet defense and a offensive innovator.

Great defenses have to be great at the point of attack, wherever that may be. Coach Collins won’t be great everywhere. Not at Tech. He must have an offensive innovator who can wrong foot a defense, set up plays that grab big chunks of yards. Keep the ball and score, consistently.
Collins will improve recruiting, defense, special teams. That bar is set low. More than likely the offense will not improve, but take a step back.
But if Collins wins similar to Johnson, 11 years in, 82-59, 3 ACC championship appearances, 11 win season, etc.
Will we be satisfied, after his considerable upgrade in talent? Improved recruiting, increased expectations.
You should look at Ralph's record when he stopped running the option. Ralph's first 3 years there he ran a lot of option. When he went away from it so did his success, except his last year.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Nobody is advocating that we should hire Chan Gailey back. I think what he is saying is that Chan is on par with Johnson. Johnson had higher highs but lower lows. The Kansas loss was as bad if not worse than the Duke loss but neither were acceptable at the time.

I 've got to believe that the Mid Tn St loss at HOME by about 2opts (favorite by 18 or so), maybe was the WORST loss in the 50 yrs I've been watching.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I 've got to believe that the Mid Tn St loss at HOME by about 2opts (favorite by 18 or so), maybe was the WORST loss in the 50 yrs I've been watching.
The offense could've played better that day BUT I pin that loss on Groh. He was told they had his signals but WOULD NOT CHANGE THEM. It's what got him fired.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I'll take a loss to them over a loss to Furman. Don't see how those are even comparable. The Midd Ten team stole our defensive calls and destroyed what semblance of a defense we had.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
loss to Furman.
DEFINITELY a worse loss. But don't that doesn't fit the narrative!
Seriously, why in the world does anyone feel the need to bash CPJ? The only coach that deserves our scorn going forward is BL, for a bunch of reasons - many known here many not. It's ridiculous to slam a coach that gave us a bunch of great memories over his tenure and left us in good position going forward (no buyout, etc.).

LibertyTurns

Banned
There’s a lot of buyer’s remorse here. When Chan got the hook, we were 7-5 for an eternity & nearly everyone was begging for some variety. Of course the only variety people wanted was the high side variety even though people proclaimed otherwise! Quotes were like “I’d trade 4 of these BS bowls for a New Year’s Bowl”, etc.

Not saying it’s going to happen, but what’s going to be the reaction when we notch 6 or 7 consecutive years of 8-5 seasons.

For the O’Leary proponents, the knock on him back in the day was he couldn’t win the big game against FSU. They were the only ACC team worth a damn & we couldn’t beat them. Mutts had Done-in as coach & Quitsey Carter as QB. Crap you could merge both those brains & you’d barely get a moron out of it.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Two good seasons out of seven. 39-35 record. 33-35 against FBS competition without them. Couldn’t even reach the Chan Gailey Equilibrium.

You conveniently didn't answer the question. Your post stated "If we’re gonna say O’Leary was nothing without Fridge let’s talk about how crappy of a Coach Johnson was without Gailey’s players."

So again, I ask you, what Gailey players were on the 2014 team? Because crappy coaches don't win Orange Bowls by blowing out top 10 SEC teams....

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
CPJ got boat-raced by MTSU at home. He lost to a Kansas team that was coming off a loss to an FCS. He lost to the worst Tennessee team of all-time. One of his best teams cam within a whisker of losing to G-W. That wake forest team was way better than any of those.

You must be a farmer, because you're cherry picking is superb...

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Duke was 4-37 in their last 41 games when we played. Kansas was awful but better than any of the Duke teams in the early 2000's. The problem also with higher highs and lower lows is that Chan Gailey had no highs. Beating UGA three times, Winning the ACC, and Winning our only major bowl game in the last 50 years does count for something. I will gladly take a roller coaster coach over someone who never accomplishes anything.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You conveniently didn't answer the question. Your post stated "If we’re gonna say O’Leary was nothing without Fridge let’s talk about how crappy of a Coach Johnson was without Gailey’s players."

So again, I ask you, what Gailey players were on the 2014 team? Because crappy coaches don't win Orange Bowls by blowing out top 10 SEC teams....
Give up on Knox his hate for CPJ is stronger than his love for Tech , sad ain't it ?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Wow...yet ANOTHER thread about Johnson vs Gailey vs O'Leary....how innovative!

(NB-I don't blame the OP for the way this thread devolved...I happen to think he is correct in questioning the enshrinement of O'Leary as 'all that' but boy am I tired of the debates)

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Give up on Knox his hate for CPJ is stronger than his love for Tech , sad ain't it ?

Not even remotely true. OP trashed our fourth best coach to prop up mediocrity. I shudder to imagine where this program ends up if GOL didn’t save it.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I thought I was the one who was cherry picking? That year was clearly an outlier. Look at the numbers. He had a losing record vs teams featuring the same number of scholarship players without Gaileys recruits. That is not good no matter how you try to spin it.

Milwaukee

Banned
Chan Gailey lost to a pathetic Wake Forest team because he wouldn't have Reggie throw the ball to a wide-open Calvin Johnson. Enuf said.

That Wake Forest team was loaded. Cfb fans know this, unfortunately most Tech fans do not. I think we should've/could've won that game, but the Tech faithful who talk like you're talking sound about like the crowd that keeps yelling that Johnson lost to Duke 4 out of 5. Neither camp understands that the Wake team in 06 was REALLY talented nor do they understand today's Duke program is not what it used to be.