The boy from Lumpkin County can kick ...

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
What I don't understand is why it took 4 games to figure out he was the kicker.

Same reason it took two straight kickoff returns for a touchdown and a loss to realize the coverage team was too young. :banghead:

Lack of detail and oversite. Hopefully its being fixed now. But paul imo got lazy and relied too much on his assistants. It happens when u are 60. Intensity goes down etc. u become a bit more lax.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Same reason it took two straight kickoff returns for a touchdown and a loss to realize the coverage team was too young. :banghead:

Lack of detail and oversite. Hopefully its being fixed now. But paul imo got lazy and relied too much on his assistants. It happens when u are 60. Intensity goes down etc. u become a bit more lax.
It happened when he was 50. Piss poor st coaching has cost us so many games during his tenure. That and his inability to recruit stud 4-5* rbs boggles my mind.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
It happened when he was 50. Piss poor st coaching has cost us so many games during his tenure. That and his inability to recruit stud 4-5* rbs boggles my mind.

The first one I could not agree more with, but bashing him for not recruiting 5* running backs is a good bit bat guano crazy.

Mills was the real deal and he did get him.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
On another thread I said Wesley Wells = Luke Manget. Same limited range (or so it seems), same high kicks that are hard to block, same accuracy.

But it's hard to tell with the limited number of kicks. Who knows? He may end up another Butker or suddenly develop kicker-itis. We'll see soon enough.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wells was my player of the game because of the improvement in his position. Other players may contribute more, like TM or A/B backs but I expected them to do that.

ST have already failed to make the difference to put us over the top in 2 games so far. We will need some FGs to win close games this year. And Wells may be just enough of a difference for us to get a bowl game.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
On another thread I said Wesley Wells = Luke Manget. Same limited range (or so it seems), same high kicks that are hard to block, same accuracy.

But it's hard to tell with the limited number of kicks. Who knows? He may end up another Butker or suddenly develop kicker-itis. We'll see soon enough.
As I told his mom, if they ask for fg more the 40 do your best and if misses let it roll off . Inside 40 we need him to be ice . She said as ciach said - he s pretty confident. I think he has 4.0 in class = same grade on field.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
It took a while because he is a walk on true freshman buried under MULTIPLE SCHOLARSHIP PLAYERS you guys are relentless in your need to complain. You don’t drop a kid who is on scholarship immediately. You let them try to work out of the funk.

We didn’t know what we didn’t know. That’s how life works boys and girls when you’re trying big things, you get to the edge of the map and push on despite not knowing what turn comes next. Coach gave the guys who were atop the chart the chance to fix it and they couldn’t. Then he gave a shot to the young hungry guy and he is showing out. This is how sports work.

If we played the guys our internet experts wanted TQM wouldn’t have had his way the last two games, and we would have forfeited the season for lack of players.

C’mon man we just smoked an ACC team on the road to get back to .500 and had a rout of a game. We played a bunch of young guys, came out of the game healthy and are building momentum coming into this week against Duke. It’s another important game and we have to stay focused on the task, but leave the Debbie downer trash at the curb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
It took a while because he is a walk on true freshman buried under MULTIPLE SCHOLARSHIP PLAYERS you guys are relentless in your need to complain. You don’t drop a kid who is on scholarship immediately. You let them try to work out of the funk.

We didn’t know what we didn’t know. That’s how life works boys and girls when you’re trying big things, you get to the edge of the map and push on despite not knowing what turn comes next. Coach gave the guys who were atop the chart the chance to fix it and they couldn’t. Then he gave a shot to the young hungry guy and he is showing out. This is how sports work.

If we played the guys our internet experts wanted TQM wouldn’t have had his way the last two games, and we would have forfeited the season for lack of players.

C’mon man we just smoked an ACC team on the road to get back to .500 and had a rout of a game. We played a bunch of young guys, came out of the game healthy and are building momentum coming into this week against Duke. It’s another important game and we have to stay focused on the task, but leave the Debbie downer trash at the curb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All good points but TQM should only be an A-Back /Sarcasm

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
What I don't understand is why it took 4 games to figure out he was the kicker.

Guys, y’all are forgetting once again, the Welles kid is a true freshman. He kicked his PATs and FGs off of a rubber tee in high school the past few years. It just took him a little while — after a lot of practice and repetition — to learn how to kick a football right off the ground (without a rubber tee) in college this fall.

That’s all there is to it. Geez, guys!

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Correction, on my mistake above. Actually it is called a kicking block. Rubber kicking blocks for high school football are two inches off the ground, and are used for PATs and FGs. Kicking tees are used for kickoffs.

Hope this correction helps! Thanks, guys.