The Best of: Running Back

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
1) Eddie Lee Ivory
2) William Bell busting though Nebraska defense
3) James Davis - Clemson vs GT at Clemson, Sat primetime 8PM game, broke lose on right sideline and mowed over a GT DB for long TD run.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Only been a Tech fan since enrolling in 99, so my choices have a more recent flavor.
1) Tashard Choice (would have been Dwyer, but the recent news on him taints my memories)
2) favorite game was Robbie Godhigh against Clemson in 2013...we were totally outmatched that night and spotted them a 20 point lead right off the bat, but man they could not stop Robbie. He broke tackles, dragged guys, and did whatever he could to get every yard humanly possible (plus a couple huge passes that just went out of his reach and nearly had another couple TDs).
3) CJ Spiller 2009 ACCCG. Guy was killing us, but we had Dwyer, Bay Bay, Nesbitt, and D-Morgan

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
1.Eddie Lee was exquisite
2.Wm Bell in '90 Neb Bowl game-greatest spin ever
-not a favorite run but the fastest TD run for 50 yds in Tech history--in '77? we ran a reverse pivot dive from the wishbone with the little flash from Newnan (who later ran 100 yds KO vs ugs).He was in the EZ in a blink!50 yd straight line dash! sorry,can't remember his name
3.the Clemson QB who ran through ,around,and over us in a comeback clem win
That would've been Drew Hill.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
1. Eddie Lee Ivery. But, followed closely by Robert Lavette.
2. Synjyn Days' ramble down the sideline against Mississippi State for the touchdown. He simply refused to go down.
3. I'm also in the James Connor camp. The "strip" aside, that guy was tearing us up. I hope he recovers fully and has a healthy life ahead.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
The Diesel.
Dwyer's cutback against UGA in 08 and then shaking his head and telling the UGA defender "Nope" as he walked into the end zone to take the lead.
Spiller in 09 Acc Title game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Clint Castleberry - Didn't he finish higher in the Heisman voting than any other Tech back?

Lavette's 20 yd or so late 4th qtr run against a good Clemson in 1984 to set up Easley's winning TD after Clemson came from down 21-0 to tie.
(A very close second would be Edwards' 3rd down mid 4th qtr 8yd TD run following Tisdale KO return against Clemson in 1990 after Clemson had cut our lead to 14-12 and had us on the ropes. No TD there, and no MNC in 1990)

Barry Word, UVA, against Roof and the Black Watch in 1985. IIRC, he had two 80 yd or so TD runs in the first qtr. He was shut down after that but he wound up with around 200 yds rushing. We couldn't climb out of the 14 point hole, lost, and wound up 9-2-1. We were about three plays that season from a major bowl and maybe even being undefeated.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
The Diesel.
Dwyer's cutback against UGA in 08 and then shaking his head and telling the UGA defender "Nope" as he walked into the end zone to take the lead.
Spiller in 09 Acc Title game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah Dwyer was fun to watch...and that run there was so satisfying (you could see the Dwag knew he had no chance, he made a desperate tackle attempt but it was so full bodied Dwyer was able to easily sidestep it). That head shake sealed it as a boss play.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
The "Where's the Sting?" run by Dwyer in the '08 mutt game. That run gave us hope when all hope was lost.

1:07

I still had hope. Sitting with a buddy in some Sanford Stadium luxury box who asked me "what the (bleep) do you think PJ is doing in the lockerroom right now?" I said, "First, taking a leak. Second, peeling the paint. He's in the middle of 'rippin' 'em a new one' speech. They'll play a lot better in the second half. Trust me."

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So many good ones to choose from.

Lavette, because he was in school the same time as me and always agreed to meet my little brothers from the Techwood homes.

Tony Hollings against Climpsum (I believe) hitting several huge runs after plays broke down. Just pure ability. Leading the nation by a good margin when he was hurt.

Against us? Hmmm. I gotta go with Spiller. Good thing we won the game.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Dwyer
PJ Davis against Tulsa
Todd Gurley couldn't be stopped in second half of 2013 game.
That touchdown Gurley had near the end of the first half was out of bounds. Ball never got inside the post. I saw the photograph at halftime time.

Drove me crazy at the time.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
GT All-Time:
  1. Favorite Running Back (includes TB, HB, FB, AB, BB, etc. QB will be a separate future thread.)
  2. Favorite Single RB Play
  3. Best Opposing RB Performance
Really looking forward to the responses on this one.
Man, now you have done it. My mind is going in twenty directions trying to narrow it down. Hmm...

Dwyer, Choice, ELI, and Choice
Days against Mississippi State to open the second half, or Dwyer doing his thing against UGA either the broken ankle run or the one at the start of the second half
Ellington against us in 2010 or Gurley in 2013 Both are great backs. Spiller's performance against us in the ACC championship game was fantastic.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Clint Castleberry - Didn't he finish higher in the Heisman voting than any other Tech back?

Lavette's 20 yd or so late 4th qtr run against a good Clemson in 1984 to set up Easley's winning TD after Clemson came from down 21-0 to tie.
(A very close second would be Edwards' 3rd down mid 4th qtr 8yd TD run following Tisdale KO return against Clemson in 1990 after Clemson had cut our lead to 14-12 and had us on the ropes. No TD there, and no MNC in 1990)

Barry Word, UVA, against Roof and the Black Watch in 1985. IIRC, he had two 80 yd or so TD runs in the first qtr. He was shut down after that but he wound up with around 200 yds rushing. We couldn't climb out of the 14 point hole, lost, and wound up 9-2-1. We were about three plays that season from a major bowl and maybe even being undefeated.
I think Clint finished third in his freshman year. Lothridge finished runner up to Roger Staubach in 1963 and Joe Ham finished runner up I think also.

BBK

Jolly Good Fellow
That touchdown Gurley had near the end of the first half was out of bounds. Ball never got inside the post. I saw the photograph at halftime time.

Drove me crazy at the time.
What do you mean inside the post? The pylon?
And by "inside" do you mean side to side or inside the endzone? Sorry, don't remember the play.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The gt backs that beat ND @ND without a single pass completion. Believe it was 77/78.
I was in Tulsa Oklahoma at Oral Roberts University near the Prayer hands and heard the game on my car radio. Classic.