The Best of: Running Back

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
What do you mean inside the post? The pylon?
And by "inside" do you mean side to side or inside the endzone? Sorry, don't remember the play.
Yes, if we're gonna do precision he was holding the ball outside the pylon. They signaled "touchdown." The still clearly showed the ball out of bounds.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yes, if we're gonna do precision he was holding the ball outside the pylon. They signaled "touchdown." The still clearly showed the ball out of bounds.
The ball does not have to be inside the pylon to be a touchdown. The goal line extends out-of-bounds and as long as the player is in-bounds when the ball passing the plane of the endzone (whether inbounds or out-of-bounds), it's a touchdown.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The ball does not have to be inside the pylon to be a touchdown. The goal line extends out-of-bounds and as long as the player is in-bounds when the ball passing the plane of the endzone (whether inbounds or out-of-bounds), it's a touchdown.
Correct, this is a confusing rule a lot of people don't know its only not a touchdown if the players body is out of bounds.

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
The gt backs that beat ND @ND without a single pass completion. Believe it was 77/78.
I was in Tulsa Oklahoma at Oral Roberts University near the Prayer hands and heard the game on my car radio. Classic.
That game was in Atlanta. '76 I think, but possibly '75. Too lazy to look it up.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I wish my memory of the photograph itself were as clear as my memory about the moment. It was clear that even on replay, the wrong call had been made.

BBK

Jolly Good Fellow
This is why I was clarifying. Didn't want to correct him until I knew that's what he meant.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Not a simple rule ...
http://www.scout.com/college/texas-tech/story/1097350-ncaa-rule-changes-part-3

Goal Line Plane Extension changed.

Now the Goal line plane runs between the pylons, and includes the entire pylon. The plane no longer exists beyond the pylons except in two specific cases: (a) When a ball carrier touches the pylon, and (b) when the ball carrier touches the ground in the end zone.

Examples: Play #1: The ball carrier dives for the corner of the end zone, leaping at the one yard line. The ball - in his possession: (a) touches the pylon; (b) goes over the top of the pylon; or (c) crosses the goal line inside the pylon. The player then first touches the ground three yards beyond the goal line out of bounds. Ruling: Touchdown in all three instances. The ball broke the plane of the goal line in the player's possession.

Play #2: The player heads for the right pylon of the goal line. At the two yard line he dives or is blocked into the air by an opponent. The ball – in his right hand – crosses the sideline at the one yd/line and passes outside the pylon. Then the runner while air born (a) touches the pylon with his foot or left hand; or (b) first touches the ground three yards beyond the goal line out of bounds. Ruling: In (a), Touchdown, since the plane is extended because the player touched the pylon. In (b), the plane is NOT extended, because the player did not touch the pylon or the ground in the end zone. The ball is out of bounds at the one yd/line. No Touchdown.

Play #3: The ball carrier heads for the right pylon of the goal line. The ball in his right hand crosses the extension of the goal line outside (to the right of) the pylon. The runner is (a) deemed to have stepped on the goal line; or (b) deemed to have stepped on the side line inches from the goal line. Ruling: Touchdown in (a) since the plane is extended by touching the ground in the end zone. In (b) there is no touchdown because the player did not touch the pylon nor did he touch the ground in the end zone. The goal line is NOT extended. The ball is ruled out of bounds at the point of crossing the side line.

Play #4: The ball carrier heads for the right pylon of the goal line with the ball in his right hand. His foot hits the pylon just before the ball (a) crosses the pylon; or (b) crosses the extension of the goal line outside the pylon. Ruling: (a) and (b) No touchdown in either case. Because the pylon is out of bounds, the ball is dead once the runner's foot hits the pylon. Thus the ball is dead in both cases before it crosses the goal line or the side line.

Play #5: The ball carrier is hit and his forward progress is stopped inbounds near the goal line at the side line to his right. When he is stopped, the ball is in his right hand extended beyond the goal line (a) inside the pylon; or (b) outside the pylon. Ruling: In (a) the ball extended inside the pylon across the goal line creates a touchdown and the ball is dead at that point. In (b) no part of his body touched the pylon or the ground in the end zone. In this case the plane is NOT extended for a touchdown. The ball is dead short of the goal line.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The Gurley TD was legit. The ball was inside the pylon.

The Mason run was the killer. We lost containment and the ballgame on that play. Should have trapped him.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
The gt backs that beat ND @ND without a single pass completion. Believe it was 77/78.
I was in Tulsa Oklahoma at Oral Roberts University near the Prayer hands and heard the game on my car radio. Classic.
That would be ELI, Gary Lanier, Adrian Rucker (not sure, he may have graduated by then) and "BIG" as Ciraldo used to say David Sims. Probably others that I cannot recall. Notre Dame was number one but did not play like one and we were ready for them.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not a simple rule ...
http://www.scout.com/college/texas-tech/story/1097350-ncaa-rule-changes-part-3

Goal Line Plane Extension changed.

Now the Goal line plane runs between the pylons, and includes the entire pylon. The plane no longer exists beyond the pylons except in two specific cases: (a) When a ball carrier touches the pylon, and (b) when the ball carrier touches the ground in the end zone.

Examples: Play #1: The ball carrier dives for the corner of the end zone, leaping at the one yard line. The ball - in his possession: (a) touches the pylon; (b) goes over the top of the pylon; or (c) crosses the goal line inside the pylon. The player then first touches the ground three yards beyond the goal line out of bounds. Ruling: Touchdown in all three instances. The ball broke the plane of the goal line in the player's possession.

Play #2: The player heads for the right pylon of the goal line. At the two yard line he dives or is blocked into the air by an opponent. The ball – in his right hand – crosses the sideline at the one yd/line and passes outside the pylon. Then the runner while air born (a) touches the pylon with his foot or left hand; or (b) first touches the ground three yards beyond the goal line out of bounds. Ruling: In (a), Touchdown, since the plane is extended because the player touched the pylon. In (b), the plane is NOT extended, because the player did not touch the pylon or the ground in the end zone. The ball is out of bounds at the one yd/line. No Touchdown.

Play #3: The ball carrier heads for the right pylon of the goal line. The ball in his right hand crosses the extension of the goal line outside (to the right of) the pylon. The runner is (a) deemed to have stepped on the goal line; or (b) deemed to have stepped on the side line inches from the goal line. Ruling: Touchdown in (a) since the plane is extended by touching the ground in the end zone. In (b) there is no touchdown because the player did not touch the pylon nor did he touch the ground in the end zone. The goal line is NOT extended. The ball is ruled out of bounds at the point of crossing the side line.

Play #4: The ball carrier heads for the right pylon of the goal line with the ball in his right hand. His foot hits the pylon just before the ball (a) crosses the pylon; or (b) crosses the extension of the goal line outside the pylon. Ruling: (a) and (b) No touchdown in either case. Because the pylon is out of bounds, the ball is dead once the runner's foot hits the pylon. Thus the ball is dead in both cases before it crosses the goal line or the side line.

Play #5: The ball carrier is hit and his forward progress is stopped inbounds near the goal line at the side line to his right. When he is stopped, the ball is in his right hand extended beyond the goal line (a) inside the pylon; or (b) outside the pylon. Ruling: In (a) the ball extended inside the pylon across the goal line creates a touchdown and the ball is dead at that point. In (b) no part of his body touched the pylon or the ground in the end zone. In this case the plane is NOT extended for a touchdown. The ball is dead short of the goal line.
Right, I know the rule was changed, but at the time of that game, I believe the rule was as I stated. I could be wrong though.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
That would be ELI, Gary Lanier, Adrian Rucker (not sure, he may have graduated by then) and "BIG" as Ciraldo used to say David Sims. Probably others that I cannot recall. Notre Dame was number one but did not play like one and we were ready for them.
I remember Bo Thomas had a big run in that game.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Right, I know the rule was changed, but at the time of that game, I believe the rule was as I stated. I could be wrong though.

No worries. The link refered to a 2011-12 rule change, and the game was in 2013.

The play which I embedded in my next post, via start time, demonstrates that Gurley's body was clearly landing out of bounds without crossing endzone in bounds. The only issue was whether he kept the ball inside the cone for TD.

syd

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
No worries. The link refered to a 2011-12 rule change, and the game was in 2013.

The play which I embedded in my next post, via start time, demonstrates that Gurley's body was clearly landing out of bounds without crossing endzone in bounds. The only issue was whether he kept the ball inside the cone for TD.

syd
Which he didn't in the photo I saw. I kinda thought the folks on the sideline who sent the photo up that day knew a little about football. But, on with the original thread. Sorry I caused a hijack.