The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

Milwaukee

Banned
If I am the potential #1 draft pick I am not going to any parties, much less a COVID-19 party. That would the dumbest dumb thing among a long list of really dumb things a person could do. BTW, if I know my teammates are going to those parties I am not hanging out with them either.

Clemson players aren’t trying to get themselves infected on purpose, that’s absurd. Let’s stop being stupid, fellow Swarmers. Jesus, we’re turning into an Auburn or Tennessee type message board.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Given the increasing restrictions in the last week, postponing football should have become more likely. Like @FredJacket , I'm not sure I understand the question.

My guess would be that the players were trying to get infected on their own volition, not from coaching staff. If they are at all.

Given how important football is in their lives and confusion about consequences, I can see the players trying to get infected now. People believe what they are most comfortable with.

Agree antibodies that can be measured go away quickly. But to confuse things, it is possible that the body has built up a viral defense which will kick in quicker if reinfected. We'll probably find out if that's true I'm the next six months.

I'm too old and have too many at risk friends to roll those dice though. My risky action is running on a trail and passing people. No mask there but limited time. I tried wearing a mask once and it was impossible to breathe when it got wet with sweat. For me running is worth the risk. For some football players it will be too.

I guess all the talk about starting up the season is what spurred the betting on the non-postponement side, even with the increase in infections.

Imagine you're a 6' 5" 300 lb. (going by BMI, obese, a COVID pre-existing condition) lineman, and a foot away from you on every play is some guy breathing in your face. On every, single play. You just hope he isn't positive, because if he is you're getting a snoot full.

Milwaukee

Banned
I guess all the talk about starting up the season is what spurred the betting on the non-postponement side, even with the increase in infections.

Imagine you're a 6' 5" 300 lb. (going by BMI, obese, a COVID pre-existing condition) lineman, and a foot away from you on every play is some guy breathing in your face. On every, single play. You just hope he isn't positive, because if he is you're getting a snoot full.

Imagine you’re a 6’5 300lb (going by BMI, obese, not even a Flu/Pneumonia pre -existing condition but yet you’re more likely to die from that) lineman, and a foot away from you on the Marta every single minute of every trip is some guy breathing in your face. On every, single trip. You just hope he doesn’t have the flu, because if he is you’re getting a snoot full.

You guys sound stupid, you’ve been duped by the media.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Imagine you’re a 6’5 300lb (going by BMI, obese, not even a Flu/Pneumonia pre -existing condition but yet you’re more likely to die from that) lineman, and a foot away from you on the Marta every single minute of every trip is some guy breathing in your face. On every, single trip. You just hope he doesn’t have the flu, because if he is you’re getting a snoot full.

You guys sound stupid, you’ve been duped by the media.

COVID isn't the flu.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
https://twitter.com/rudygcarp12

Thread- Pac 12 football players have created a list of “demands” 4 the @pac12/Universities 2 take into consideration, if the demands aren’t addressed/complied w/ the players R threatening to sit out the season..There is significant support growing among ALL 12 teams with 50 or

6 yrs insurance upon graduation, better Covid-19 testing & protcols etc etc...The player led group is being spearheaded at
@CalFootball
& they have been holding phone calls with other Pac12 teams..There is some kinda of players only meeting/vote that will be taking place shortly.

and 50/50 rev share,

I don't do tweeter but it's here

Rudy Carpenter
@rudygcarp12

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
https://twitter.com/rudygcarp12

Thread- Pac 12 football players have created a list of “demands” 4 the @pac12/Universities 2 take into consideration, if the demands aren’t addressed/complied w/ the players R threatening to sit out the season..There is significant support growing among ALL 12 teams with 50 or

6 yrs insurance upon graduation, better Covid-19 testing & protcols etc etc...The player led group is being spearheaded at
@CalFootball
& they have been holding phone calls with other Pac12 teams..There is some kinda of players only meeting/vote that will be taking place shortly.

and 50/50 rev share,

I don't do tweeter but it's here

Rudy Carpenter
@rudygcarp12

Wow, players wanting to be compensated better for the value they bring? Who would have thought.

Maybe we need legislation to provide blanket protection to colleges and other employers from being sued by the players / employees from this COVID thing. {:sarcasm} It would be easier if there were uniform national standards rather than ad hoc political guerilla warfare.

Maybe a few conferences will play this fall. But even that is looking less likely.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Univ of AL has modified their fall schedule so they end in person classes Nov 20th (similar to what some other schools have done).
Fall break is cancelled. After Nov 20 they will finish up the semester using online classes.
Also, all students are being required to show a negative test from within 2 weeks of coming on campus before they can return to school this fall.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
AP article on the importance of testing to college football and whether it might not be rigorous enough as currently laid out.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Univ of AL has modified their fall schedule so they end in person classes Nov 20th (similar to what some other schools have done).
Fall break is cancelled. After Nov 20 they will finish up the semester using online classes.
Also, all students are being required to show a negative test from within 2 weeks of coming on campus before they can return to school this fall.

This may be tough to have a test done within 14 days and to UA. How long does the nasal swab take to evaluate? Have to get documentation to UA and have them acknowledge it. Also the cost ..... seems to be in the $100-$200 range generally. Not clear that insurance covers it ..... https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/brief/covid-19-test-prices-and-payment-policy/

I recently had my annual physical and blood test. No COVID test :( Asked doctor why and she said that it wasn't that reliable and the antibodies went away anyway.

One thing about the "temperature" test. The local shipyard has ~18,000 people who were temperature tested every day for several months. Not a single case was identified that way so they've stopped it. There were people popping positive also but they knew it by the time they had a temperature. I think that asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic people don't have a temperature (that's a symptom!) and can spread the disease.

Enough rambling ;).

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Should we have a poll to see who would go to a GT football game at different stadium capacities?

I know I wouldn't at any capacity until there is an effective vaccine (which I don't expect to have more than short term efficacy at best) for two reasons
1) I don't want to kill some of our immune compromised friends we have dinners with
2). I don't want to get really sick. I know there people who have had it and it can be very long and intense.
Nuke, if you do a poll, put me down for ‘not this season, and then not until I can get my mitts on a proven vaccine’. Yours truly is in several high risk categories and is a coward to boot.

LibertyTurns

Banned
One thing about the "temperature" test. Then local shipyard has ~18,000 people who were temperature tested every day for several months. Not a single case was identified that way so they've stopped it. There were people popping positive also but they knew it by the time they had a temperature. I think that asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic people don't have a temperature (that's a symptom!) and can spread the disease.
We conducted about 75k tests before we had the first “at the gate” positive temperature test. We now have 3 in about 125k. Not an effective method unless you count the people that did not show up to work because they knew they were running a bit hot.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
We conducted about 75k tests before we had the first “at the gate” positive temperature test. We now have 3 in about 125k. Not an effective method unless you count the people that did not show up to work because they knew they were running a bit hot.
The temp check (as a measure in response to the pandemic) is a CLASSIC example of doing something just to feel better that you "did something".

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Almost every medical and dental office in eastern NC is combining a questionnaire and temperature check every time you visit. I am not sure how effective that is, but it is what they can do. I think most of us would consider them essential and they have to protect themselves. Of course, they are all masked up when you see them face to face.

GT Chillin' It

Jolly Good Fellow
This may be tough to have a test done within 14 days and to UA. How long does the nasal swab take to evaluate? Have to get documentation to UA and have them acknowledge it. Also the cost ..... seems to be in the $100-$200 range generally. Not clear that insurance covers it ..... https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/brief/covid-19-test-prices-and-payment-policy/

I recently had my annual physical and blood test. No COVID test :( Asked doctor why and she said that it wasn't that reliable and the antibodies went away anyway.

One thing about the "temperature" test. The local shipyard has ~18,000 people who were temperature tested every day for several months. Not a single case was identified that way so they've stopped it. There were people popping positive also but they knew it by the time they had a temperature. I think that asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic people don't have a temperature (that's a symptom!) and can spread the disease.

Enough rambling ;).

So I’m actually getting over this dang thing right now. Symptoms started 6 days ago. Day 1 was a very mild cough, day 2 felt like the worst hangover of my life. Got swab tested then and got a positive result 3 days later. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I didn’t run a fever until day 5. I know all cases are different but a temperature check wouldn’t have done me any good. Days 3 & 4, I felt fine and if I wasn’t awaiting test results would have been tempted to leave the house and conduct business as usual.

I’m a pretty healthy 33 yr old and the last couple of days have been awful. I wouldn’t wish this on anyone and I hope the NCAA and ACC takes it serious.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So I’m actually getting over this dang thing right now. Symptoms started 6 days ago. Day 1 was a very mild cough, day 2 felt like the worst hangover of my life. Got swab tested then and got a positive result 3 days later. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I didn’t run a fever until day 5. I know all cases are different but a temperature check wouldn’t have done me any good. Days 3 & 4, I felt fine and if I wasn’t awaiting test results would have been tempted to leave the house and conduct business as usual.

I’m a pretty healthy 33 yr old and the last couple of days have been awful. I wouldn’t wish this on anyone and I hope the NCAA and ACC takes it serious.

I hope you continue to get better. This is one weird virus. One person can be knocked down and another be perfectly fine and there is no rhyme or reason sometimes.
Had a 60 yr old relative, overweight, with Diabetes and he basically had almost no symptoms, very mild. But had a 25 yr old friend who was knocked down for 17 days.
Statistics are statistics, but they are still people and just because the odds say one thing, doesn't mean someone can't be that 1 percent or 10 percent.

LibertyTurns

Banned
The temp check (as a measure in response to the pandemic) is a CLASSIC example of doing something just to feel better that you "did something".
We can’t stop temperature checking now because of appearances. In fact we’re buying a system to do it forever now even after this pandemic passes. It is what it is.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
PAC12 indefinitely postpones virtual media day

Updates on what various states are doing with HS sports
CA decided to postpone the start to Dec or Jan.
NM, VA and DC have cancelled for the fall.
AZ, KS, KY, MS, NJ, NY, NC, SC, TN, WA, WV and now GA have decided to delay the start of the season.

Obviously even though these states have delayed the start it doesn't mean they couldn't change their mind later and delay some more or cancel. Everyone is just trying to buy time.

I'm not going to assume anything good or bad until someone kicks a ball off in a game.

on the college level Morehouse, Spelman and Clark Atlanta all changed their plans that they had announced at the beginning of July today and will go to a 100% virtual fall semester.