The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A lot of the school systems in Georgia are going to be all virtual this fall. Can they field sports teams? Can a student who chooses on-line as an option participate in sports?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Our school district just announced k-12 is starting all online. They’ll revisit opening for in-person classes second week of September at the earliest. This is in Houston, Texas. People like there baseball and football down here so curious to see sports effect here too.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
A lot of the school systems in Georgia are going to be all virtual this fall. Can they field sports teams? Can a student who chooses on-line as an option participate in sports?
Why not before this you could home school and still play. Not sure what you would do but remember the QB they played for UF and he home schooled and played.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Texas has delayed the start of FB for its 2 highest HS classifications (mostly large city schools) to Sept 24

SWAC becomes the first conference to cancel fall football and set a spring football plan (plans to start an 8 week training program in Jan 2021 and then play a 7 game conference schedule if virus allows). SWAC becomes the 5th of 13 FCS conferences to cancel fall sports.
Power 5 are expected to exhaust every option to play in the fall before they will even entertain moving games to the spring. They will delay and wait if they have to rather than move to Spring.

Giants and Jets will have no fans for NFL games, Rutgers is limited to 500 fans if they have games. No fans at college sports in NY (this will also likely affect the basketball tournaments held in NY in Nov). I'll be surprised if CA doesn't enact similar ordinances for college and professional sports.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Power 5 are expected to exhaust every option to play in the fall before they will even entertain moving games to the spring. They will delay and wait if they have to rather than move to Spring.

What is wrong with that? I actually think it is good that the ACC, SEC, and Big 12 haven't announced a "plan" like the conference only schedule yet. Should everyone just announce that they are cancelling the season before looking at options? I doubt there will be college football this fall, but it is possible they can find ways to make it work. If they stop preparations now, it will be the same as making a decision not to play. They shouldn't stop preparing for the season until they know what they are going to do.

I also take exception to your characterization that they won't "even entertain moving the games to the Spring". I have read that that is one of the many plans that the conferences are drawing up. They will probably look more at many of the options to play this fall before deciding on football in the Spring, but they are already entertaining that option.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
What is wrong with that? I actually think it is good that the ACC, SEC, and Big 12 haven't announced a "plan" like the conference only schedule yet. Should everyone just announce that they are cancelling the season before looking at options? I doubt there will be college football this fall, but it is possible they can find ways to make it work. If they stop preparations now, it will be the same as making a decision not to play. They shouldn't stop preparing for the season until they know what they are going to do.

I also take exception to your characterization that they won't "even entertain moving the games to the Spring". I have read that that is one of the many plans that the conferences are drawing up. They will probably look more at many of the options to play this fall before deciding on football in the Spring, but they are already entertaining that option.

They'll look pretty silly if they insist on playing in the fall with cancellations, shortened seasons, and whatever else unforeseen difficulties, in near-empty stadiums, when the could have waited until spring after everybody gets a vaccine (hopefully). But there are a lot of unknowns and they're in a tough spot.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
They'll look pretty silly if they insist on playing in the fall with cancellations, shortened seasons, and whatever else unforeseen difficulties, in near-empty stadiums, when the could have waited until spring after everybody gets a vaccine (hopefully). But there are a lot of unknowns and they're in a tough spot.

ESPN did a survey of NCAA football players in June, so it is a little old. In that survey most were comfortable playing without a vaccine. Most were comfortable playing even if the school isn't open to students. Most were comfortable playing in empty stadiums. However, when asked about playing in the Spring and then playing again in the Fall it was split about half and half. If the season is cancelled, I am not sure that it will be made up in the Spring.

I don't understand why you insist that keeping options open is "insist"ing to play in the Fall. I haven't heard the ACC, Big 12, or SEC say that they ARE playing. Those three conferences haven't made announcements except that they will decide and announce later. As I stated previously, I think it is silly of the Big 10 and PAC-12 to announce their plans to play a reduced 10 game schedule when it is likely that they are going to have to adjust that plan. Wait until you know what you are going to do, or announce the options that you have. Making definitive announcements about your first fall back plan seems premature.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

This wasn't meant to be taken as a negative. i was just saying that the P5 conferences want to play in the fall and will go as long as possible to keep that option alive (unlike some of the FCS conferences). it was just explanatory, not judgemental.

The second statement is based on comments from Paul Finebaum and Heather Dinich. Basically, the P5 conferences will only consider a spring season if every possiblility for a fall season is exhausted. It is their absolute last case scenario for playing. So that is why I phrased that as I did. Basically, that is not an option they are seriously considering right now. Circumstances may force them to consider it seriously, but not until they come to a conclusion they cannot play in the fall.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Dwight Eisenhower was president the last time the Packers didn't sell out a home game.

I have fond memories of going to games at Lambeau as a child, even though they stunk when I was a kid. Except for maybe the one game against the Vikings in the late 1970's that was played in snow and bitter cold and went to overtime and ended in a tie (I still have a memory of my dad pulling me out of Sunday School early so we could drive in the snow to the game). That one I remember being cold at. My aunt and uncle still have season tickets. My dad gave up my grandfather's after he passed away and we had moved to GA.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
ESPN did a survey of NCAA football players in June, so it is a little old. In that survey most were comfortable playing without a vaccine. Most were comfortable playing even if the school isn't open to students. Most were comfortable playing in empty stadiums. However, when asked about playing in the Spring and then playing again in the Fall it was split about half and half. If the season is cancelled, I am not sure that it will be made up in the Spring.

I don't understand why you insist that keeping options open is "insist"ing to play in the Fall. I haven't heard the ACC, Big 12, or SEC say that they ARE playing. Those three conferences haven't made announcements except that they will decide and announce later. As I stated previously, I think it is silly of the Big 10 and PAC-12 to announce their plans to play a reduced 10 game schedule when it is likely that they are going to have to adjust that plan. Wait until you know what you are going to do, or announce the options that you have. Making definitive announcements about your first fall back plan seems premature.

I'm not insisting on any such thing. I think they should keep their options open. But there are many more considerations besides what the players are comfortable doing, aren't there? I was simply making the observation that it would look kind of silly to press on with a bumpy and uncertain season if there's a vaccine by late this year that could make it possible to play a full, unfettered season before full stadiums in the spring. I agree with you that this is a good time for procrastination. Any decisions made now may very well prove to be "premature".

But they're in a tough spot, really.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The second statement is based on comments from Paul Finebaum and Heather Dinich. Basically, the P5 conferences will only consider a spring season if every possiblility for a fall season is exhausted. It is their absolute last case scenario for playing. So that is why I phrased that as I did. Basically, that is not an option they are seriously considering right now. Circumstances may force them to consider it seriously, but not until they come to a conclusion they cannot play in the fall.

I think that is reasonable, but I think you should say "seriously consider" because they are making plans for a Spring season already. Take a look at the informal ESPN survey that I linked to. Players seem to be more concerned about playing two seasons in one year than playing during this fall. Most of the quotes they have related to that question are about injuries. If they play from March until June, there are only two months to rehab and prepare for the 2021 Fall season. If they don't get rested, rehabbed, and in shape in two months then they are more likely to be injured in 2021.

I think it is much more likely that the 2020 season is cancelled than playing it in Spring semester of 2021. They might be able to play an abbreviated 4 or 6 game season, but not much more than that.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A couple of evening notes.
Cal has announced they are going to start online only this fall

Also, the NY/NJ/CT/MA group has added 11 more states to their quarantine list (and removed 1 - MN), so that is now up to 31 states. The big add there from an ACC standpoint is VA.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
LOT of problems with potentially playing in the Spring. Northern schools playing in sub-freezing environments, elite players opting to skip the season to prep for the draft, and biggest of all is asking college athletes to play 2 full seasons in 11 months.

Could care less about fans in the stands at this point. Find a way to play in the fall. Gonna be even more of a mess to try to switch semesters.