The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
All players need to wear full face shields and not open face masks. We need an effective vaccine and fast. The current processes aren't getting it done because so many choose not to follow the guidelines. I thought we would have a football season but now not so sure. If we don't, then with budget problems there may be some reasonable adjustment to the absurd salaries paid to coaches and some programs will be eliminated.

plangineer

Jolly Good Fellow
The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) announced a new set of rules for foreign students - international students cannot enter or stay in the U.S. if their college offers courses only online in the fall semester.

From the academic side, this makes sense. If classes are only online, the vast majority wouldn't have a reason to step on campus, probably aside from in-person research and personal reasons.

But that also means international student athletes won't be able to participate. This user on reddit created a full list of who this would include:

From GT, it looks like only Sylvain Yondjouen (DL) is impacted.

Of course, there is the bigger question where, hypothetically, if ALL colleges/universities go online, would football / athletics even be considered?

ImaginaryBrightAngwantibo-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_lwcidnHbve1qauvgjo1_250.gif

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
At some point students need hands on labs for engineering and sciences. I could see a hybrid of some on line courses and some on campus with labs. They need to wear masks in classes.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Surprised Utah only has 6. When I first read that my first thought was that the Utes might not be able to fill a 53 man traveling roster.

Also wouldn’t be surprised if exceptions were made for scholarship athletes with sports that are officially scheduled to happen.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Just curious if we will get to see any games or more to the point, whether we can attend any games.

Anyone have a clue about timelines for decisions about these issues? The season is just around the corner....

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Smaller dominos are starting to fall:

I know I could be wrong but I just don't think conferences like the SEC. Big 10 , Big 12 and the ACC would not play football in the fall. May not be too many fans in the stadiums but they will find a way to play. There is no way that anyone knows that is would be better in the spring, and if you wait till the spring and it's still not better than you really have a mess that would be hard to deal with on which players get another year. And then what to do with the so called 85 rule.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I know I could be wrong but I just don't think conferences like the SEC. Big 10 , Big 12 and the ACC would not play football in the fall. May not be too many fans in the stadiums but they will find a way to play. There is no way that anyone knows that is would be better in the spring, and if you wait till the spring and it's still not better than you really have a mess that would be hard to deal with on which players get another year. And then what to do with the so called 85 rule.
What makes you think the factories would follow any rules that would cost them money? Rules are for the little people.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
If you can afford to skip then cool. The majority can’t. I’m assuming they forfeit their salary for that year - I guess I’m not sure as to what the two sides have agreed.