The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

plangineer

Jolly Good Fellow
I am ashamed that we are treating foreign students this way. They should be allowed to stay until this virus and college operations normalize.

On behalf of myself, I apologize for the actions of my country.

Have we no decency?

What might be reasonable is restricting travel into the country.

I can find no reason to send international students home who are already here this summer.

Apologies - I was multitasking and didn't read the article close enough. I wanted to clarify my second sentence -

I absolutely agree with you both and others, it doesn't make sense for students already here. Why would they be a higher risk of spreading the disease (or whatever reason) than a U.S. student? smh

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Apologies - I was multitasking and didn't read the article close enough. I wanted to clarify my second sentence -

I absolutely agree with you both and others, it doesn't make sense for students already here. Why would they be a higher risk of spreading the disease (or whatever reason) than a U.S. student? smh

The WH administration has said that they see it as a way of pressuring colleges to reopen in the fall, something that has become a priority for them.

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow
There is absolutely zero, nil, zip data supporting that chart. It was assembled by people that wanted to assuade others and keep the narrative going. Please don't fall for it.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I know I could be wrong but I just don't think conferences like the SEC. Big 10 , Big 12 and the ACC would not play football in the fall. May not be too many fans in the stadiums but they will find a way to play. There is no way that anyone knows that is would be better in the spring, and if you wait till the spring and it's still not better than you really have a mess that would be hard to deal with on which players get another year. And then what to do with the so called 85 rule.
Even Feinenbaum from the hard core sec thinks it's unlikely we have CFB this year. Of course maybe he's influenced by his doctor wife towards practicality. Again, I still don't see a season that will from week to week, most certainly, have variable rosters due to positives being isolated. Same holds true for coaches, managers, and staff. Plus, the first kid that becomes seriously ill will end it. And I completely agree with the difficulties that a Spring season would have. Maybe though, we could have a Spring where each team plays a high profile couple of games. We could deal with the 85 issue later, hopefully in the kids' favor.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Honestly, none of us know where we are going to be in 3 weeks when P5 conferences have to make final decisions, but realistically it likely won't be significantly better than it is now - hopefully it won't be worse.

Ivy League cancels Fall Sports and delays Winter Sports until at least Jan 1

I don't see at this point how we have fans in the stands this fall. PGA cancelled having fans at the Memorial this week. If they can't figure a way to put 8,000 people on a golf course safely, how are we going to figure out putting that many or more inside a stadium.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This business with the foreign students is … bizarre.

The administration says it wants to "Make America Great Again". One of the things that has made us great is our unparalleled post-secondary education. The US is #1 with a bullet in this. One of the main reasons is that we have large numbers of smart young people come here from all over the world for their advanced education and then decide to stay because we have the best facilities and opportunities for them. That makes our economy stronger, largely by increasing the number of scientists and engineers of all kinds we have to do the work.

This policy runs directly in the opposite direction. Further, it neglects the increasing competition US universities and colleges face from the UK, Canada (a lot from them), Australia (welcome Asians!), and the continental European universities. The quality of post-secondary education has been increasing everywhere and where quality was already high (think Ecole Polytechnique) the capacity of the institutions has increased as well. Now we are telling young people from foreign climes that they might as well see their education elsewhere. And, given the way humans build networks, that they should stay in the countries where they were educated, bestowing the benefits of what they learned and what they will discover there instead of here.

I don't think this is anything but a reflection of an insane policy to open up opportunities for young Americans to go into STEM studies. That won't work. We are already producing about our limit in STEM degrees going to US students; it has never been a popular choice for American students and opening more slots (if that happens) won't change that. It's worth remembering that the US is a major science power today not because of a native bent for scientific study, but because Hitler and Mussolini forced the core of their scientific communities to come here. Now we are at the brink of inaugurating policies that will forfit that advantage. I mean you can't make up something this stupid.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The only thing I feel confident in is that sports are not going to be nice and smooth in getting back to action.
The MLS has already had one team knocked out of their bubble before they even began and they may be close to losing a second team (Nashville).
MLB has had issues with getting testing done since day 1.

I am starting to have a concern about sports that I didn't have 3 weeks ago and that is testing. All of the returns - both professional and otherwise are predicated on having testing. Now we are getting to a point that we are starting to see supply chain breakdowns with areas running out of tests, running out of chemicals, both LabCorp and Quest in the last week have said their testing time has doubled due to having to process so many. No one expected the availability of testing to be an issue at this point (because no one expected the country to be in as bad a place as it is right now), but if it becomes more of a problem where leagues have a hard time getting their testing done (or if it is perceived their tests are being prioritized over other citizens) that could become a real issue to playing.

Stanford cut 11 sports today
https://www.cbssports.com/general/n...epartment-due-to-limited-financial-resources/
that tells us that these schools are going to try everything they can to play as much college football as they can get in. They need the money for their athletic programs. What we don't know is whether the situation is going to deteriorate to where that simply isn't a possibility or maybe it gets better and it is ok.
An ESPN article from last night had a quote from one of the conference commissioners that if colleges go to online this fall it is unlikely there will be sports so watching the decisions college make on bringing students back to campus will be important.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I may be the last hold out but I still think the ACC, SEC, Big10, and Big 12 play football this fall maybe with no fans or very few but they still want the TV money.

I certainly think they will try and i think the Tobacco Road Mafia wants to play as badly as all the other schools - they all rely on that money for their athletics program.
We just don't know what the environment is going to be in 3 weeks when the final decisions will have to be made.

The easiest decision is likely to not have any fans. That at least buys you the chance of playing without starting huge community outbreaks.
But these kids are going to be interacting with other kids on campus. That opens the possibility for large outbreaks among programs.

Anybody who thinks the schools don't want to play are mistaken imo, whether they will be able to play we simply don't know.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good article on the Ivy decision.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ll-reevaluate-playing-sports-in-january-2021/

Not a surprise that Ivy League football is a money loser - as someone who went to grad school at an Ivy the football games are not fully attended. Basketball games are well attended though and the article mentions that basketball is their money maker. It also mentions they are hoping to play basketball this winter but if things don't get better they expect they will have to cancel that as well.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The decision will be made for them, not by them.
Pretty sure that’s not possible, but I could be wrong. The NCAA cannot stop teams from playing, and I’m fairly certain the conferences can’t either. Maybe the state...not sure on that one.

Football will be played with TV money. Fans are probably unlikely, which sucks because of the unprecedented overreaction going on, but that I can deal with.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure that’s not possible, but I could be wrong. The NCAA cannot stop teams from playing, and I’m fairly certain the conferences can’t either. Maybe the state...not sure on that one.

Football will be played with TV money. Fans are probably unlikely, which sucks because of the unprecedented overreaction going on, but that I can deal with.
Why wouldn’t the NCAA or individual conferences be able to prevent teams from playing? I mean, if schools wanted to separate themselves from the NCAA or their conferences and create their own sanctioned leagues they’d be more than welcome. But if the NCAA or ACC says they won’t sponsor fall sports, and schools play anyway, not only will the games be essentially meaningless, they would also be subject to penalties from their organizations. The NCAA can’t technically stop teams from practicing during dead weeks, or having more full contact practices than the rules allow, but teams that do those things would be subject to penalties should the NCAA find out.

If the P5 want to break off from the NCAA and play games anyway, they can do that. But in this time of uncertainty, I highly doubt that would happen in the very short time frame that those decisions would have to be made.