The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There is nothing to argue with in this AJC article, but the author (Steve Hummer) reveals early in it that he is apparently not much of a fan of CGC or probably Tech ---
https://www.ajc.com/blog/further-re...mask-college-football/sYDfDV59lBNbfI8r5xMdTL/

Excellent opinion piece. Kemp's comments to me amounted to him hitting the red panic button and using the one thing he thought might get through to people.
If it works, then awesome, because that means we get college football. If it doesn't we have to wait and see if it improves enough that we can have college football. Camps are supposed to start in August. Decision will have to be made before then, probably end of July.

The Senate had a hearing yesterday on the name, image, likeness issue in college athletics but a fair bit of the hearing ended up being devoted to the virus and what colleges are doing about it.
https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/...tioned-coronavirus-pandemic-response-congress

Ivy League is going to make their decision on whether to have fall sports on July 8th.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...decide-next-week-plan-fall-sports/5355555002/
If they choose not to play fall sports that doesn't mean we won't have fall sports (as they obviously are not football conference or rely on that money), but they were one of the first, if not first, league to cancel their basketball tournament last spring and among the first group of schools to send students home. Let's not kid ourselves, the P5 and probably most G5 schools are going to try to figure out any way to play if they can, but some Presidents will definitely watch what the Ivy does.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Welp, Covid has hit home:

Unfortunately it was bound to happen but hopefully all are feeling good and healthy.

The three athletes tested positive in the initial screening phase, meaning that they were able to be separated before they began workouts with teammates.

All three athletic department staff who tested positive were reported Sunday. The school’s COVID-19 report stated that two work in the Edge Center — the athletic department headquarters — and one works in the Zelnak Basketball Center.

Of the two who work in the Edge Center, one works alone “and did not have contact with others,” according to the report, and was last on campus last Wednesday. The other’s affected co-workers “are being notified as consistent with Georgia Department of Public Health Protocols.” That staff member was last on campus last Friday.

The employee who works in Zelnak, where Tech’s basketball teams train, was last on campus on June 9.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately it was bound to happen but hopefully all are feeling good and healthy.

Odds are not on any school's side in terms of staying infection free. In terms of the GT SAs that were infected, luckily we got them early before they were introduced to the team environment. Hopefully they get through the next couple of weeks symptom free and they can join their teammates without risk to anyone.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Given a choice, would you guys prefer a fall season with no fans or a spring season with fans?

100% fall with no fans. Even in the Spring it will be iffy for fans probably. I'm not optimistic about a vaccine that is 1) effective, 2) long lasting or 3) enough people take. Then how do you roll from Spring games to summer practice to fall games? That would be an awful grind.

Besides the more important Spring sport is baseball!

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Just don't see it happening, especially in light of the need and certainty of isolating different players/coaches/staff each and every week. Talk about an asterisk season!
Btw, seems that Freeman with the Braves is sick. One serious illness and the CFB season is done, and at what expense to give it a try? Not sure the revenue side of the equation is justification for the expense of trying, but it's surely a large number. Time for some CFB stimulus money!?

slugboy

Staff member
700 out of the 1100 GT Professors have petitioned against the school reopening plan: https://www.gpbnews.org/post/georgi...y-current-plan-threatens-lives-students-staff

As I read it (and might need to read it again), professors have to wear masks but it’s optional for students. One of the professors (who studies aerosols), basically called it idiotic.

If we can’t figure out the classrooms, and it doesn’t sound like we’re off to a good start, then I’m more worried about fall sports even without fans than I was last week.

——————

Regarding having a national plan. A national plan doesn’t negate having a state plan. You can have a baseline plan and have states that are seeing more infections take more precautions.
It makes sense for there to be a baseline to know what the rules are going between Arizona and New Mexico, Utah, and Colorado. When things are worse in Arizona, they can step up their actions while you know the rules for the other states.
For the NCAA to support games between states (or other business to take place between states), you need to know what the common and interstate plan is. It doesn’t seem like the national plan gives enough clarity to the NCAA for them to be able to act.
The place where I have seen sports make a plan is the NBA—and they picked one city and one controlled environment for everything. For the NCAA, it seems like we’ll have at least 50 different rule books.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Would be more shocking if everyone tested negative, given how many people we are talking about.
Yeah, seems that the days of: I don't know anyone who knows anyone that has it, is long gone. In my little hamlet north of ATL, even in my neighborhood, there are several. Between some of those I know who have been very careful, plus the PGA players, I'm beginning to fear more false positives than before. We have 3 situations of husband or wife with a positive test and the other even several days afterwards, testing negative. I know it's possible, but hmmm.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Excellent opinion piece. Kemp's comments to me amounted to him hitting the red panic button and using the one thing he thought might get through to people.
If it works, then awesome, because that means we get college football. If it doesn't we have to wait and see if it improves enough that we can have college football. Camps are supposed to start in August. Decision will have to be made before then, probably end of July.

The Senate had a hearing yesterday on the name, image, likeness issue in college athletics but a fair bit of the hearing ended up being devoted to the virus and what colleges are doing about it.
https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/...tioned-coronavirus-pandemic-response-congress

Ivy League is going to make their decision on whether to have fall sports on July 8th.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...decide-next-week-plan-fall-sports/5355555002/
If they choose not to play fall sports that doesn't mean we won't have fall sports (as they obviously are not football conference or rely on that money), but they were one of the first, if not first, league to cancel their basketball tournament last spring and among the first group of schools to send students home. Let's not kid ourselves, the P5 and probably most G5 schools are going to try to figure out any way to play if they can, but some Presidents will definitely watch what the Ivy does.
The time between now and late July, is not in our favor of camp opening.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Had lunch with a friend of mine and his son. Son is a sophomore at Eastern Michigan. The talk around their program is the odds are more than 50% that the season will be played in the spring. As of now. The MAC is waiting to see what happens with the IVY league this week and they expect other conferences to follow suit. Now it can all change but they’re under the assumption fall season is quickly diminishing.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Had lunch with a friend of mine and his son. Son is a sophomore at Eastern Michigan. The talk around their program is the odds are more than 50% that the season will be played in the spring. As of now. The MAC is waiting to see what happens with the IVY league this week and they expect other conferences to follow suit. Now it can all change but they’re under the assumption fall season is quickly diminishing.
I really not crazy about football in the spring. But if they start it then they need to keep playing in the spring every year. Spring and turn around and start the next season would be to short of a brake.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I really not crazy about football in the spring. But if they start it then they need to keep playing in the spring every year. Spring and turn around and start the next season would be to short of a brake.
Yea we talked about that too. The kids aren’t to big on it and the injuries that can happen. Spring football here in Michigan will be brutal. They’ve floated having fanless games and using the indoor practice facilities if they can accommodate like field size, roof height etc.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
700 out of the 1100 GT Professors have petitioned against the school reopening plan: https://www.gpbnews.org/post/georgi...y-current-plan-threatens-lives-students-staff

As I read it (and might need to read it again), professors have to wear masks but it’s optional for students. One of the professors (who studies aerosols), basically called it idiotic.

If we can’t figure out the classrooms, and it doesn’t sound like we’re off to a good start, then I’m more worried about fall sports even without fans than I was last week.

——————

I thought Tech professors were supposed to analytical. Apparently 700 of them can't figure out that when CDC is reporting 142 total Covid-19 deaths in the 15-24 age group (out of a population of more than 40 million) that reopening is not exactly threatening lives of students to any great degree. If the professors want to teach from behind plexiglass--like a cashier at a grocery store--I get it. But if something here is "idiotic" it is advocating not reopening school rather than seeking solutions. I understand that the complaint from some of the professors is that USG is making decisions that aren't logical. It's USG, so that's expected.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
I honestly wouldn’t mind a spring football season. I’m a current GT student in my last year, and I would rather have a cold football season where I can actually go to the games over a fall football season where no one can.

We do need to think about what’s best for the country, school, and student athletes however. If we need to have fanless games in the fall for the season to work I would still be ecstatic to have football at all. I think the program needs this year to show improvement to our 2022 recruit class!