The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You can't expect them to have concrete plans while this thing is getting more and more out of control. Right now the way I see it, there isn't going to be a college football season. They're waiting and hoping because there isn't anything else they can do. If the virus becomes somewhat contained, if the trend of rising infections reverses and goes down precipitously, then we might have some hope of a season. I wouldn't rule it out but right now that possibility seems more in the way of wishful thinking.

By now, it's not the lack of a decision that is disconcerting....it is the lack of a formal plan by the NCAA on who/what/when/how the decision is to be made. It is July 1. At this point, I honestly don't think we have college FB in the fall.

slugboy

Staff member

Cory Booker played at Stanford (mostly special teams). I’m sure he remembers what it’s like to be a player.

—- About the NCAA having a plan ——-
It’s tough for the NCAA to have a plan put together when we’re still not sure what policies the states will have. What happens if Florida is wide open but North Carolina bans events with more than 50 people—that would throw a curveball at NCST vs FSU.

If one state is more strict for group sizes, how do they practice? Do you hold four practices of 25 players instead of one big practice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
By now, it's not the lack of a decision that is disconcerting....it is the lack of a formal plan by the NCAA on who/what/when/how the decision is to be made. It is July 1. At this point, I honestly don't think we have college FB in the fall.

Well, they'll need plan A, plan B, plan C, etc...
They've got some serious iffing to do.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Cory Booker played at Stanford (mostly special teams). I’m sure he remembers what it’s like to be a player.

—- About the NCAA having a plan ——-
It’s tough for the NCAA to have a plan put together when we’re still not sure what policies the states will have. What happens if Florida is wide open but North Carolina bans events with more than 50 people—that would throw a curveball at NCST vs FSU.

If one state is more strict for group sizes, how do they practice? Do you hold four practices of 25 players instead of one big practice?

This may eventually be what kills the 2020 football season.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, here is one sign things might not go well on college campuses this fall, because lets face it, young adults are young adults.
I will say this, if I was a professor, i would not be willing to teach an in-person class this fall on a college campus. You think about how many staff there are on a college campus and their avg ages.
You have a place like UGA that has 1 hospital. It won't take much for that to fill up. The Houston mayor said 2 days ago that 15% of the patients in ICU in the city are under 30. So while they are much less likely to get seriously sick than older individuals, if enough get infected they are going to start showing up in numbers in hospitals and if they start to infect more susceptible individuals then it can get ugly.

Tuscaloosa is finding students who know they have tested positive are showing up at parties.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This may eventually be what kills the 2020 football season.

The lack of plan is what concerns me the most because it is a potential PR nightmare. As we get closer to the season and reporters start reporting on college football and it is presented to the public in a narrative that there is no plan, or that they appear to be taking it less seriously than professional leagues (which have 100+ page safety documents), then public opinion could turn very fast to where it becomes untenable for a University President or AD to allow the SA's to play if the public believes you are not providing the proper safety for students.

slugboy

Staff member
FWIW, here is one sign things might not go well on college campuses this fall, because lets face it, young adults are young adults.
I will say this, if I was a professor, i would not be willing to teach an in-person class this fall on a college campus. You think about how many staff there are on a college campus and their avg ages.
You have a place like UGA that has 1 hospital. It won't take much for that to fill up. The Houston mayor said 2 days ago that 15% of the patients in ICU in the city are under 30. So while they are much less likely to get seriously sick than older individuals, if enough get infected they are going to start showing up in numbers in hospitals and if they start to infect more susceptible individuals then it can get ugly.

Tuscaloosa is finding students who know they have tested positive are showing up at parties.

Some of the countries doing test and trace are quarantining the people who test positive. I don’t know how a campus would do that without setting up medical space, but moving students to a temporary infirmary until they’re clear seems like one policy that could fix the students at parties problem.
It would have to be a condition of in person attendance to enable that policy

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Some of the countries doing test and trace are quarantining the people who test positive. I don’t know how a campus would do that without setting up medical space, but moving students to a temporary infirmary until they’re clear seems like one policy that could fix the students at parties problem.

Yep. Quarantining would be a nightmare, because you'd also have to quarantine the roommate(s) as well.

I think we're returning to the days of leper colonies...

Techster

Helluva Engineer

If you take the financial component out of it, there's no way anyone rushes people back to campuses to put them in a small confined space. Dorms, classes, buses that take kids across campus, administration offices, etc. That's before you get into sports where kids are literally sweating and breathing directly on each other.

As with most things in life, when it comes to $$$$$, that's usually biggest factor.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Why does everyone think there is no plan? Maybe they don't think it's time to tell their plan. May not be the plan that we would like.
If your have made a decision to fire someone on Friday would you tell them on Wednesday , not a good idea. I think they know the plan and want to wait as long as they can in hope they can change the plan. No one wants to be the first conference to kill football.

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You have a place like UGA that has 1 hospital. It won't take much for that to fill up.
Actually there are two - St. Mary's and Piedmont - but still could be inadequate. When the students return en force to Athens, it could spread like wildfire. Same problem as lots of other relatively smallish towns with big universities, the onslaught of students this fall.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If you take the financial component out of it, there's no way anyone rushes people back to campuses to put them in a small confined space. Dorms, classes, buses that take kids across campus, administration offices, etc. That's before you get into sports where kids are literally sweating and breathing directly on each other.

As with most things in life, when it comes to $$$$$, that's usually biggest factor.

They'll make lots of changes that will reduce transmission, like giving extra time between classes so most students can walk instead of taking busses, and so forth, but it certainly won't come anywhere near eliminating the problem. As for athletes, there's not much way around the close contact, the breathing and the sweating. Not much way for anybody to even pretend there won't be a lot of transmission among players. Add to all that the inaccuracy of the testing...

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So for the first time it gets serious.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/k...orgians-don-don-masks/2HoT3KvfS0pdRzVsenibZO/
“If people, especially our young people, don’t start wearing a mask when they’re going out in public and our numbers keep rising, that’s going to be a tall task,” he said of the prospect of a college football season.
“But if we all hunker down right now, and dig in the next two or three weeks, we can get this turned in the right direction.”

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Something seems so obvious to me yet not sure we have said it directly.

There is no national plan.

What the NCAA does or particular colleges do, or conferences, or students, or states, is totally irrelevant until we recognize that what effects one person potentially effects everybody. Unless you have a plan for the whole country. Everybody being “free” to experiment and craft their own approach does not work.

It’s a pandemic.

So if we can’t even have a national policy on something as simple as wearing a face mask I see no hope for a football season. I have felt this way since March.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Something seems so obvious to me yet not sure we have said it directly.

There is no national plan.

What the NCAA does or particular colleges do, or conferences, or students, or states, is totally irrelevant until we recognize that what effects one person potentially effects everybody. Unless you have a plan for the whole country. Everybody being “free” to experiment and craft their own approach does not work.

It’s a pandemic.

So if we can’t even have a national policy on something as simple as wearing a face mask I see no hope for a football season. I have felt this way since March.

It's been brought up multiple times.

Lots of push back from individuals who think states should be left to their own devices to make their own mitigation plans. So far, that plan is failing us.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
So for the first time it gets serious.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/k...orgians-don-don-masks/2HoT3KvfS0pdRzVsenibZO/
“If people, especially our young people, don’t start wearing a mask when they’re going out in public and our numbers keep rising, that’s going to be a tall task,” he said of the prospect of a college football season.
“But if we all hunker down right now, and dig in the next two or three weeks, we can get this turned in the right direction.”
Well so much for Kemp getting my vote next time will not vote for a die-hard uga fan.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Well, a majority of college football fans in this state are uga college football fans. So hopefully the majority listen. Then again... they are uga fans.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m glad there is no national plan. Let state governments and individuals make decisions based on what is best for their situation. This isn’t the plague and we don’t have bodies lining the streets. If it wasn’t for certain segments of the press we’d be living life as usual and we’d have football. But, under this climate of panic and who cares more there is no way we’ll have a season. I don’t even think the NBA will play in their big beautiful bubble because there is no way players will follow the rules and positive tests are going to keep happening. We are at the point where we will be in the state of the world is ending until a vaccine the media likes is created. Then magically it will be over.