The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One note I saw on another board that is worth knowing. Public schools in GA do not have to report the number of SA's that test positive for COVID. So we will likely never know how many positive tests of GT SA's there are. Some of the states around us require the schools to report numbers, they can't report names since that would be a HIPAA violation.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
One note I saw on another board that is worth knowing. Public schools in GA do not have to report the number of SA's that test positive for COVID. So we will likely never know how many positive tests of GT SA's there are. Some of the states around us require the schools to report numbers, they can't report names since that would be a HIPAA violation.

As conservative and careful as CGC and staff are being, I'd be shocked if it's as many as say Clemson or LSU, etc...

We seem to be doing this very slowly and carefully which I applaude.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I looked into the military policy on COVID-19 earlier, and there was some confusion in the messaging. It’s only if you’re hospitalized that you would be discharged or disqualified. You can still serve if you just test positive.

Unless they changed it recently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yup agree, it's interim guidance.
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...ized-covid-19-survivors-to-join-the-military/

I think the guidance will change when we know more.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I live in Oriental, NC. If you have not heard of our little paradise, I am not surprised. The town has 900 residents. The zip code has 2500. Our entire county is just 12,000. We were rocking along with very few cases of COVID-19 until the governor opened up phase 2. In June our numbers have suddenly taken off. People are not wearing masks. They are hanging out at the dockside tiki bar and coffee shop deck. It is this kind of behavior that will keep us from having sports. Right now I would not bet on the NC colleges being allowed to play if the governor stands by his orders. Whether we have fans may be moot if this doesn't change. Fast.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I’m confused by those against low risk members of society getting and spreading the virus. It’s in everyone’s best interest for low risk individuals to get sick and recover. High risk, not so much. Parents who feel their kids are in good health should be perfectly fine with their kids playing football, attending class, and in general being a normal part of society.

This is ultimately how we get past this thing. And spare me the, “there’s no proof of immunity” argument. Common sense tells you that if that were true things would be even worse than they are now.

Gotta get kids on campus, athletes playing sports, people working, etc.

Ultimately let everyone make their own decision. That’s kind of the premise this country was founded on...
Well, you can discount the lack of understanding if you want, but there is still a lot of questions out there about immunity. It is still a big question about contracting the disease giving you immunity and if so, how long? There is still a big question about what having antibodies means. There is so much discussion about letting healthy people get sick so they can move through it, but it doesn't do any good if you can catch it again, and again, and again.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Let me make my feelings very clear about this particular thread.

I want to see college football this season (I want to see college basketball even more but that isn't even a consideration until we pull off college football).

I don't think there is a reason at this point to not have a season due to college football players getting sick as long as any player who wants to sit out this year can do so keeping their scholarship and no team repurcussions. I do worry more about the older individuals in the program, not so much the 18-21 yr olds.

I'm not convinced having fans in the stands right now is a good idea - first, it has the potential to lead to community outbreaks which would be very bad, and second it could turn public opinion against playing the games if #1 happens, which is one thing I want to avoid because I would like some sports (yes I know that is selfish).

I'm hoping the NBA experiment in Orlando goes well because if it does it makes further sports more likely, but if it doesn't then I suspect sports become harder to stage.
While I haven't missed commuting to work (and was told today it will likely be 2021 before that changes), just about everything else about this sucks. Not getting to hang out with my work buddies, having to deal with a SWMBO who is a germaphobe. None of that is enjoyable.

If we don't deal with what is happening around us and get these numbers down I fear it could take away something we love doing and watching, and given everything we have all had to go through that would just add a further level of s*ck to what we are already dealing with.

Finally, I have not once lied on anything i've posted. If I've posted anything that has turned out to be less than 100% accurate i've always been willing to correct it. To say i've been wrong on everything is just not true.
Good post, but I think the simpler solution is to either delay the season until next spring (if we have a vaccine) or punt the whole business until next year. I don't think anybody is going to be pleased by a no fans in the stands approach and getting parties together to watch the games and yell and cheer while risking exposure to SARS-Cov-2 makes even less sense. I love Tech football, but I'll be watching Netflix instead of fanless games.

But there's a lot of momentum behind this. We'll see.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, this could complicate things.

There is no way Gov Kemp will stand in the way of college football, I don't believe that for one second.
If we don't have college football it will be because things get out of hand this summer and basically take away the opportunity for team sports (and probably any large gatherings)

The next 4-6 weeks though are going to be critical country wide. I'm having a harder time seeing states like NY and CA, maybe MI allowing fans at the stadiums.
AZ, TX and the SE are going to be interesting to watch with the current outbreaks. The Univ of AZ President had been one of the early leaders for having students back on campus, but said last week if he had to make a decision now (which he does not) he would not have students return to campus.
The AD's at TX and TX A&M were lobbying for the TX Governor to loosen his 50% limit on large events less than 2 weeks ago because it was going to keep them from being able to seat all their season ticket holders for every game. Can't imagine that limit gets raised now and obviously if things get out of hand in Texas then it could go the other way.

UGA reporting roughly 150 positive tests among faculty, staff and students doesn't exactly fill me with confidence for this fall. Their classes are online right now, so that is spread without classes taking place in person. What happens when you have 30-40K students, faculty and staff all walking around a campus.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Good post, but I think the simpler solution is to either delay the season until next spring (if we have a vaccine) or punt the whole business until next year. I don't think anybody is going to be pleased by a no fans in the stands approach and getting parties together to watch the games and yell and cheer while risking exposure to SARS-Cov-2 makes even less sense. I love Tech football, but I'll be watching Netflix instead of fanless games.

But there's a lot of momentum behind this. We'll see.

Personally if the guys get out on the field I will pay them the respect of watching them and be grateful for what I have rather than what I don’t.

Responding to something @RamblinRed said about giving the kids the choice I am all for that. I would completely understand any athlete not feeling comfortable enough to participate and I would hope that they not only have that option, assuming the season happens, but if they choose not to participate that they basically get an extra redshirt year (and no I haven’t thought through all the ramifications of scholarship limits and such but there are lots of supposedly smart people involved with college sports and surely someone could come up with a way to make that happen... and maybe they already have).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
but there are lots of supposedly smart people involved with college sports and surely someone could come up with a way to make that happen... and maybe they already have).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are months into this and I don't know if there is a plan other than "hope and pray" or "wait and see'. Lack of any formal declaration of when, how and who makes the go/no go decision makes me question whether there really are any smart people at the helm. And I usually tend to extend the benefit of the doubt but the silence here is deafening.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
https://www.yahoo.com/news/most-people-coronavirus-wont-spread-121034275.html

A New York Times article. Not a bastion of right wing "this is a big nothing burger", interesting read though. Still no 100% concrete answers.

That's a really good article. Goes into the idea that COVID19 like some other infectious diseases is primarily a superspreader disease. That a small number of people will cause the vast majority of the infections. There is good and bad to that idea. The good is that simple measures can allow most activities to resume. Small groups of people together - not a big deal. Big groups together - sporting events, concerts, conventions - not so good. As all it takes is one superspreader to infect a ton of people and start a flare up.

“By curbing the activities in quite a small proportion of our life, we could actually reduce most of the risk,” Kucharski said.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I thought this was a really good read on why Morehouse's President chose to not play football this year and how it may affect other schools at the Div II and Div I level that are in similar circumstances.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/06/30/morehouse-college-canceled-season-hbcu-coronavirus

Interesting that football is a money losing activity to begin with for them and that if they can't have full stands (which the President of Morehouse does not believe they can) it becomes even worse as that is really their only source of revenue. He was also convinced he wouldn't be able to keep the virus from spreading through the campus.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Damn...that last paragraph breaks your heart. F@ck covid.

Due to coronavirus concerns, Wake Forest coach Dave Clawson told his players that all activities are voluntary. If a Deamon Deacons player chooses to sit out the season due to COVID-19 concerns, he guaranteed all scholarships will be honored. Clawson plans to isolate from his wife, Catherine, a cancer survivor, for the entire season. Doctors said Catherine Clawson's reduced white blood cell count put her at a higher risk for complications if she contracted the coronavirus.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
We are months into this and I don't know if there is a plan other than "hope and pray" or "wait and see'. Lack of any formal declaration of when, how and who makes the go/no go decision makes me question whether there really are any smart people at the helm. And I usually tend to extend the benefit of the doubt but the silence here is deafening.

Oh I completely agree with you. That’s why I used the “supposedly” in there as I have close to zero confidence in the “powers that be” in college football.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Oh I completely agree with you. That’s why I used the “supposedly” in there as I have close to zero confidence in the “powers that be” in college football.

You can't expect them to have concrete plans while this thing is getting more and more out of control. Right now the way I see it, there isn't going to be a college football season. They're waiting and hoping because there isn't anything else they can do. If the virus becomes somewhat contained, if the trend of rising infections reverses and goes down precipitously, then we might have some hope of a season. I wouldn't rule it out but right now that possibility seems more in the way of wishful thinking.