The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

Deleted member 2897

I have no idea what the risk of CTE is compared to ending up in the hospital as a fit 20 year old, but I would guess it’s magnitudes higher.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea what the risk of CTE is compared to ending up in the hospital as a fit 20 year old, but I would guess it’s magnitudes higher.
What is the risk of a coach getting CTE vs getting COVID when being around 100 18-22 year olds every day? What is the risk of players spreading CTE to classmates in school and social gatherings? What are the odds of a players family getting CTE vs COVID?

Milwaukee

Banned
It has been for nearly 100k people in our country so far.

Lol 2.8m last year. If I had time I’d go through your post history and see the fear/panic/outrage that you so desire when it comes to lives being lost, right? I’m sure you’ve been hell bent on lives lost lmao. Cancer, obesity, drugs, alcohol, etc.

Lol just stop talking you’re making yourself look silly.

If this needs to be moved by all means please move.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Lol 2.8m last year. If I had time I’d go through your post history and see the fear/panic/outrage that you so desire when it comes to lives being lost, right? I’m sure you’ve been hell bent on lives lost lmao. Cancer, obesity, drugs, alcohol, etc.

Lol just stop talking you’re making yourself look silly.

If this needs to be moved by all means please move.
I’m just a simple guy who thinks we should care more about the safety and well being of our players, coaches, staff, and everyone around them more than our own personal entertainment needs. Those issues that you mentioned are serious issues with their own battles. Please feel free to create a thread in the lounge if you would like to discuss them.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m just a simple guy who thinks we should care more about the safety and well being of our players, coaches, staff, and everyone around them more than our own personal entertainment needs. Those issues that you mentioned are serious issues with their own battles. Please feel free to create a thread in the lounge if you would like to discuss them.
100% of us care more about the "safety and well being of our players, coaches, staff, and everyone around them" than our entertainment... I am certain of it. CERTAIN.

I just keep coming back to 1918. The Spanish Flu was far more deadly, although possibly less contagious or easily spread (I am not sure about that). But if games were held then and fans came, why not now, unless Covid really is more contagious than the Spanish Flu.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

We all care more about people's health and lives than we care about football, so that strawman should go away. People just disagree about the level of risk and the way forward. I think we should prepare to play, but of course, if the situation deteriorates in the fall, things can change. We may very well have decent containment and testing by then, so it would be silly to not prepare as if we are going to play.

Last edited:

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
We all care more about people's health and lives than we care about football, so that strawman should go away. People just disagree about the level of risk and the way forward. I think we should prepare to play, but of course, if the situation deteriorates in the fall, things can change. We may very well have decent containment and testing by then, so it would be silly to not prepare as if we are going to play.
I didn’t even imply that other people don’t care. You are inventing that straw man yourself. If we do care though then maybe we should quit making ridiculous arguments about how young people are invincible and how this is far better than CTE which isn’t even remotely relevant. There is a way to acknowledge the problem and work on solutions without trying to convince everyone that there actually isn’t a problem at all.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If they played in 1918 during the much more deadly Spanish Influenza pandemic (one out of every 200 Americans) and the height of WWI, then they can play now, as long as restrictions are made to the fans in the stands (required masks, possibly spread out seating to comply with social distancing guidelines, etc).

We were also prepared as a society to accept mass casualties in WWI. We are not anywhere near the same society in 2020 that we were in 1918. Comparing the two reactions is pointless.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Can't argue with you there about the different societies. We'd better pray that we are not drawn into a war, because I don't think today's US would have the stomach for it.

Agreed. Our view towards death is nowhere near as cavalier as it was in the early 20th century. Or mid-20th century for that matter. I read an article a few years ago that attributed the widespread death witnessed in WWII as the reasoning behind so much of the modern aversion to anything with a high casualty count.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Our view towards death is nowhere near as cavalier as it was in the early 20th century. Or mid-20th century for that matter. I read an article a few years ago that attributed the widespread death witnessed in WWII as the reasoning behind so much of the modern aversion to anything with a high casualty count.

I was reading an article the other day that there was a really deadly flu strain going around in 1969 and they went ahead and held Woodstock, of all things. But yeah, as recently as the late 19th, early 20th century, you'd start a family with the thought that you would probably lose one or two kids to various illnesses in childhood. That is unimaginable to us.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t even imply that other people don’t care. You are inventing that straw man yourself. If we do care though then maybe we should quit making ridiculous arguments about how young people are invincible and how this is far better than CTE which isn’t even remotely relevant. There is a way to acknowledge the problem and work on solutions without trying to convince everyone that there actually isn’t a problem at all.

I took you pointing out that you care as a suggestion that other people didn't. I don't disagree with anything else you said. I think there is a lot of extreme rhetoric between people who think the virus is no big deal and people who think we should lock down completely until there is a vaccine. I am all for a better way.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
I took you pointing out that you care as a suggestion that other people didn't. I don't disagree with anything else you said. I think there is a lot of extreme rhetoric between people who think the virus is no big deal and people who think we should lock down completely until there is a vaccine. I am all for a better way.

Sports is actually easier that we think it is as long is there are not fans. You run regular tests of everyone involved. You keep the team isolated. It’s a tough decision for college age men and women if they want to do this.

Actually there will be far more risk to the fans who might get to attend. Typical transmission happens in close quarters for several hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk