The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Definitely....BUT, what if you test and your entire QB room is infected, or your OLs are infected? That group would have to be isolated for 14 days. How do you play a game without your QBs or OLs? It's November, the height of flu season and the targeted date for the virus to rear it's ugly head again for the predicted second wave, and UGA game is this coming weekend. Tickets and hotel rooms have been sold and booked for weeks even months. Then, on Wednesday, test results come back and our entire QB room is infected, and several guys along the DL and LBs are infected from a installation meeting. They have to isolate immediately. Now what? Can you imagine, say 'Bama and LSU playing a top 10 matchup and half the roster is decimated because players are infected?

Here's OpEd on the potential conflict of interests and abuses that the schools and players face:

https://www.ajc.com/blog/mike-check...allow-campus-workouts/xB10PzPVhnezYYYmIiEHHP/

I'm hearing a lot of "there's too much money, the schools need to play or else they're going to lose a LOT of revenue..." Well, that ignores the fact that you can't force players to play, and you can't force fans to show up. You definitely can't force players to play if they're sick...I mean you can, but you better be willing to get sued for an amount that may make your athletic department insolvent because no insurance is covering negligence and intentional harm.

This is actually one of the issues that is going to have to be dealt with before they can ever have a kickoff and it is very different from the German soccer league where they are isolating the players (clearly that is not going to happen with SA's).

It's likely there are going to be programs that have to shut down because of outbreaks on their teams. How is that going to be treated? My gut is the decision will be games are simply cancelled and have no bearing on records. So you are going to have a season where one team might play 5 games, another team plays 8, another plays 10. It is very unlikely to be consistent.

I've seen articles where they suggest there may be alot less full team practices, and even not full position group practices. You may separate your first team from your second team so if one has infections and are done for the next 2+ weeks, you still potentially have the other. But even with that it is likely there will be programs that have to shut down the whole program and stop playing due to outbreaks, at least for a few weeks.

in the German league that restarted they actually had the players sitting in the stands, wearing masks so they could keep them socially distant. They only took off masks when they went into the game.

The Taiwan and Korean baseball leagues are similar with players not in the dugouts and masks being worn when they aren't on the field. Also, no pre-game or post-game handshakes.
The German league also is not allowing celebrations after scores (with groups of players - no big groups getting together to celebrate).

The German league is also instructive on what may happen elsewhere as the first day there was the one premier league game and 4 b-division games. One of the B division games 3 players tested positive before the game (I think the day before), so the game with that team was cancelled. I expect to see things like that happen this fall, with games potentially being cancelled 24-48 hrs before if a program has too many positive tests.

I don't think it is a coincidence that Saban taped a PSA for everyone to wear masks, wash hands frequently, and practice social distancing. The more that happens the fewer games that will get cancelled.

The other item that will be interesting to watch is fan involvement. If fans are allowed at all it will certainly be a greatly reduced number, and likely without any of the normal Saturday trappings - they are not going to want to have large groups of people congregating together. What happens if there ends up being a outbreak that is linked to a game? Will that mean the end to any fans being at games? Hopefully if fans are allowed, then the mitigation measures taken at the games will keep that from happening and a decision having to be made.

Definitely....BUT, what if you test and your entire QB room is infected, or your OLs are infected? That group would have to be isolated for 14 days. How do you play a game without your QBs or OLs? It's November, the height of flu season and the targeted date for the virus to rear it's ugly head again for the predicted second wave, and UGA game is this coming weekend. Tickets and hotel rooms have been sold and booked for weeks even months. Then, on Wednesday, test results come back and our entire QB room is infected, and several guys along the DL and LBs are infected from a installation meeting. They have to isolate immediately. Now what? Can you imagine, say 'Bama and LSU playing a top 10 matchup and half the roster is decimated because players are infected?

Here's OpEd on the potential conflict of interests and abuses that the schools and players face:

https://www.ajc.com/blog/mike-check...allow-campus-workouts/xB10PzPVhnezYYYmIiEHHP/

I'm hearing a lot of "there's too much money, the schools need to play or else they're going to lose a LOT of revenue..." Well, that ignores the fact that you can't force players to play, and you can't force fans to show up. You definitely can't force players to play if they're sick...I mean you can, but you better be willing to get sued for an amount that may make your athletic department insolvent because no insurance is covering negligence and intentional harm.
If they played in 1918 during the much more deadly Spanish Influenza pandemic (one out of every 200 Americans) and the height of WWI, then they can play now, as long as restrictions are made to the fans in the stands (required masks, possibly spread out seating to comply with social distancing guidelines, etc). The stats available today show that the vast majority of deaths due to the virus are among the elderly. Although young people can get infected easily too, for most of them, it is apparently not that much different from the regular flu, or in some instances, even the common cold. Of course, there are discrepancies there, but that sure seems to be the standard. Apply appropriate protective and preventive measures and let the games go on.

SimpleGT

Jolly Good Fellow
If they played in 1918 during the much more deadly Spanish Influenza pandemic (one out of every 200 Americans) and the height of WWI, then they can play now, as long as restrictions are made to the fans in the stands (required masks, possibly spread out seating to comply with social distancing guidelines, etc). The stats available today show that the vast majority of deaths due to the virus are among the elderly. Although young people can get infected easily too, for most of them, it is apparently not that much different from the regular flu, or in some instances, even the common cold. Of course, there are discrepancies there, but that sure seems to be the standard. Apply appropriate protective and preventive measures and let the games go on.
A very good point. And there was even a significant difference then - the Spanish flu did not discriminate by age - a large majority of those killed were young and healthy. That does not seem to be the case with Covid 19. Protect the vulnerable but restart life for most (and before you pounce, I am one).

A very good point. And there was even a significant difference then - the Spanish flu did not discriminate by age - a large majority of those killed were young and healthy. That does not seem to be the case with Covid 19. Protect the vulnerable but restart life for most (and before you pounce, I am one).
If you mean that you are one of the vulnerable, so am I. It has been said that zinc and vitamin D3 are good immunity-builders, and I have been taking both on a daily basis for at least 20 years, maybe longer. I also got the two different pneumonia shots 3 and 4 years ago, and my doctor said that having gotten both of those was excellent. I recommend the same for you. Neither the pills nor the shots will necessarily prevent me from becoming infected, but the zinc and D3 definitely increase my resistance, and, since pneumonia is primarily the ultimate killer in Covid cases, I at least have some measure of protection against that.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

No, no, no. You see, those folks back in 1918 were all just too dumb to know any better. They were also way too into things like freedom and individual responsibility. They needed Keisha Lance Bottoms and others to tell them what to do.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Wouldn’t you hope that as a society that we have improved how we handle some things in the last 100 years? I mean, the life expectancy for men at that time was about half of what it is now.

Wouldn’t you hope that as a society that we have improved how we handle some things in the last 100 years? I mean, the life expectancy for men at that time was about half of what it is now.
Of course, I would think we have improved in how we handle things, but it would seem to me that what they did with what they knew at that time may actually have been smarter than some of the things we have been doing.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Of course, I would think we have improved in how we handle things, but it would seem to me that what they did with what they knew at that time may actually have been smarter than some of the things we have been doing.
I mean, that’s just another way of saying you don’t like what we are doing now. It’s irrelevant to compare it to a time when there was no TV, no internet, we were in the middle of a war, and we were winning football games by over a hundred points without wearing helmets.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I mean, that’s just another way of saying you don’t like what we are doing now. It’s irrelevant to compare it to a time when there was no TV, no internet, we were in the middle of a war, and we were winning football games by over a hundred points without wearing helmets.
Are you saying that we are about to start winning games by 100 points? I might consider putting on a mask to watch that

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Are you saying that we are about to start winning games by 100 points? I might consider putting on a mask to watch that
If we play the 11th cavalry again then we might. We out scored our opponents 425-0 in our first 5 games. It was quite the atmosphere for competitive football.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's not forget his dad (who spent three days in ICU) is a world-class athlete himself, or at least a not an 'at-risk' kind of guy. Thanks for posting this. I know a young man at Tech who is about the same age, very healthy, no asthma, etc., and he told me the same story. He had to go to the hospital for oxygen, luckily it never got worse but still.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Let's not forget his dad (who spent three days in ICU) is a world-class athlete himself, or at least a not an 'at-risk' kind of guy. Thanks for posting this. I know a young man at Tech who is about the same age, very healthy, no asthma, etc., and he told me the same story. He had to go to the hospital for oxygen, luckily it never got worse but still.
Brandon Adams was a world class athlete & died step dancing. Are we supposed to bubble wrap everybody from now on?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Brandon Adams was a world class athlete & died step dancing. Are we supposed to bubble wrap everybody from now on?

LOL...the mental acrobatics on your reply.

If Brandon Adams knew he could have avoided death that day by NOT participating in those activities that day, do you think he would have still elected to do so? May he rest in peace, but man, to use that example to justify other kids risking their health is in pretty bad taste, Liberty. You're better than that.

If someone has the measles, are you going to actively enter a game where you have to make contact with them and they are breathing heavily all over you and trading sweat? At least with the measles you can see it on the other person and avoid them. You can't say that with this virus.

When did we get to the point where it's acceptable that kids are risking their health and lives to entertain us? It's one thing when it's adults that have to risk their lives and health to make a living to support themselves and pay their bills, but it's a whole other a matter when it's amatuer kids playing sports. We have lost the plot.

I'm all for sports in a safe and healthy environment for fans, coaches, and especially players. If everyone is at risk, what the heck is the point? As I said before, this nation, and the world, can use sports in the worst way right now. It's usually what heals and brings us together in the time of need and tragedy. Unfortunately, we're not in a place where the current environment is safe for everyone. They're probably going to move forward with plans for playing, because greed and human stupidity never fails and usually win out. Let's cross our fingers that a vaccine or medicine to treat the infected is quickly found. Personally, it would make me sick to my stomach if one of our players got sick from this virus and passed away because he was infected from sports activities.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Wow, great strawman there. I'm saying it's a virus that clearly attacks more than just 'the old folks and the compromised'. If you don't want to take it seriously, fine, your call.
People get sick every day. There’s practically zero risk to healthy people under 40. Sure it’s not zero, but it’s damn close. If you’re under 25 in Florida there’s a .0075% chance of going to the hospital for C19. The chance of going to the ICU is .000107% or 1 out of every 931k kids under 25 might end up in the ICU. Shut down the nation, the risk is too high!