The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

Deleted member 2897

The doctors state that they aren't sure how widespread the condition may be because they haven't tested enough to get better conclusions. But myocarditis already (pre-covid) accounts for upwards of 5% of athletes deaths every year, and this virus has shown an ability to exaggerate those odds.

Also from the linked article: " A recent German study released in July revealed heart inflammation in 60 of 100 recovered virus patients. That number included patients who were asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic. "

Again, if it's just a numbers game, then sure, play football and may the odds be ever in your favor, but these are real people out there and a lot of people paid to make big decisions aren't sure that it's worth the human risk.

They have valid concerns. You make valid points. The danger is real. The magnitude of which isn’t known.

My point isn’t disagreeing with you. I’m merely saying that so far with all we know, the magnitude appears tiny, and is also tiny compared to a myriad of other risks. Just like we let student-athletes and their families choose to play or not despite these risks (CTE, heart risks, etc), the same should apply now.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer

For those that can't read tweets, Dan Patrick reports Big 10 and Pac 12 will cancel. ACC and Big 12 undecided. SEC trying to convince others to play. My sense is the ACC will do as the SEC does, but we will see.

Sooo...the conference that said it isn’t safe to play out-of-conference opponents 70 miles away is now inviting schools from the other side of the country to join them?

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I just don't understand what's the harm in giving players a free redshirt if they want to sit out. They cannot participate in team activities but keep scholarship. (A one year event).

And if they want to play let them with a waiver.

It simplifies a lot to me.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
And if they want to play let them with a waiver.

NCAA banned waivers.
Member schools may not require student-athletes to waive their legal rights regarding COVID-19 as a condition of athletics participation.

Deleted member 2897

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Looks like there is a movement for a conference "breakaway" for some teams...at least for this year.

Scott Frost at Nebraska is hinting at it, Volunteers AD as well. Word is some B1G schools are in the process of working with other schools that are interested in it as well.

This is going to get VERY interesting soon.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ultimately this decision is going to come down to doctors and university Presidents. They are ultimately the ones on the line.

i have no doubt the majority of SA's want to play, but it is also obvious they want to be able to do it safely. Even the #WeWanttoPlay memo includes wanting protocols that will make it safe.

Most of the sourcing of meetings have said the medical advisors have been saying it is not safe to play right now and they are starting to get concerned with myocarditis - which seems to have really spooked the Presidents.
https://www.si.com/college/2020/08/09/ncaa-cardiac-inflamation-coronavirus-myocarditis-concerns
One doctor in that article mentions he knows of roughly 10 cases so far of myocarditis in college football players from COVID- not a huge number, but it is such a serious condition that it is really weighing on the sport now. Given we don't know how many college football players have had COVID already it is hard to put that 10 in perspective, I think I saw a number of like 800 confirmed cases among college football players with it - don't know how accurate that is.

Alot of what is happening right now seems to be a move to push to the spring to give medicial experts more time to understand the effects and how dangrous it really is. At the end of the day the University Presidents are ultimately responsible for the health and welfare of all students and they are less likely to be willing to take on the risk of liability.

The pendulum keeps swinging in college football. On Saturday morning I was feeling good about having a partial season (at least getting it started), but today it seems to have swung completely the other way (especially if it is true that the B10 Presidents have already voted to move to the Spring - then what the PAC12 Presidents do tomorrow becomse critical imo. One conference cancelling fall can probably be overcome, doubt 2 can).

What this has shown overall though is the complete lack of central leadership in college football and how that is a negative in a time like this.
The other issue is this - since the spring college football has largely been operating under a plan of 'hope and prayer' - that is not really a good way to plan. They were hoping cases would continue to decline but really had no plan for what happens if it doesn't. Most of the conferences because they didn't want to think about spring football so they didn't make any plans in case it became the more likely option (The ACC is actually an exception to this, ND AD Swarbrick mentioned that Dave Clawson was tasked with coming up with a Spring Football plan and Swarbrick said he was impressed by what he saw).

Until I hear the ACC say it is cancelling fall sports i am going to hold out hope - even if right now it doesn't look good.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
They should cancel football forever then. There are a ton of health risks to playing football that we will never fully be able to understand or quantify.

The COVID-19 dictates from the NCAA are related to COVID-19 only. " Member schools may not require student-athletes to waive their legal rights regarding COVID-19 as a condition of athletics participation." I never competed in intercollegiate sports, but I am sure they have the normal death and dismemberment waivers. Parents have to sign those for their kids to play little league and high school sports.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Maybe you’ve forgotten. I could find plenty of more articles regarding transmission methods including those early on which stated airborne by any means was not likely.

So what's new? The science progressed as information was gained. That's how it works...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So what's new? The science progressed as information was gained. That's how it works...

Some people expect science to be perfect even when things are evolving. I wish the Covid thread was still active because some of the people who keep pointing to "bad science" and pointing fingers were the same people with some horrible takes when Covid started.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Ultimately this decision is going to come down to doctors and university Presidents. They are ultimately the ones on the line.

i have no doubt the majority of SA's want to play, but it is also obvious they want to be able to do it safely. Even the #WeWanttoPlay memo includes wanting protocols that will make it safe.

Most of the sourcing of meetings have said the medical advisors have been saying it is not safe to play right now and they are starting to get concerned with myocarditis - which seems to have really spooked the Presidents.
https://www.si.com/college/2020/08/09/ncaa-cardiac-inflamation-coronavirus-myocarditis-concerns
One doctor in that article mentions he knows of roughly 10 cases so far of myocarditis in college football players from COVID- not a huge number, but it is such a serious condition that it is really weighing on the sport now. Given we don't know how many college football players have had COVID already it is hard to put that 10 in perspective, I think I saw a number of like 800 confirmed cases among college football players with it - don't know how accurate that is.

Alot of what is happening right now seems to be a move to push to the spring to give medicial experts more time to understand the effects and how dangrous it really is. At the end of the day the University Presidents are ultimately responsible for the health and welfare of all students and they are less likely to be willing to take on the risk of liability.

The pendulum keeps swinging in college football. On Saturday morning I was feeling good about having a partial season (at least getting it started), but today it seems to have swung completely the other way (especially if it is true that the B10 Presidents have already voted to move to the Spring - then what the PAC12 Presidents do tomorrow becomse critical imo. One conference cancelling fall can probably be overcome, doubt 2 can).

What this has shown overall though is the complete lack of central leadership in college football and how that is a negative in a time like this.
The other issue is this - since the spring college football has largely been operating under a plan of 'hope and prayer' - that is not really a good way to plan. They were hoping cases would continue to decline but really had no plan for what happens if it doesn't. Most of the conferences because they didn't want to think about spring football so they didn't make any plans in case it became the more likely option (The ACC is actually an exception to this, ND AD Swarbrick mentioned that Dave Clawson was tasked with coming up with a Spring Football plan and Swarbrick said he was impressed by what he saw).

Until I hear the ACC say it is cancelling fall sports i am going to hold out hope - even if right now it doesn't look good.
By Spring, I think it's a fair bet that even if a vaccine isn't quite ready there will be more and more effective treatments that may render the virus much less dangerous. Maybe not, but it's a good possibility, anyway. Whether that will make enough of a difference probably depends on how much progress is made by then in the way of treatment.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I disagree that there should be dominant central control. A commissioner of football telling the Big 10 they must play, or telling the SEC that they cannot play even if they are willing to accept the risk isn't a good idea.

We don't know what different conferences have or have not been planning. I don't believe the narrative that the conferences are making hard plans and then scrambling to come up with a different plan only when that one isn't viable. The conferences have staffs of lawyers, business people, finance people, etc. They also have companies that they hire to assist with finance, business, marketing, operations, etc. They can work on multiple contingency plans and have plans, or at least plan ideas, ready in case things don't work out with Plan A. It is my assumption that the major conferences have been doing that. The smaller conferences probably can't spend too much money on such plans, but the P5 can.

I do think that there has been a very big attempt to keep football in the fall. I criticized the Big 10 and Pac 12 for announcing conference only a month ago. The criticism was because I didn't believe that plan was going to be the last modification. They can have a lot of contingency plans for: A 10 game schedule, an 8 game schedule, a regional schedule with 4 home-away games, a plan for substituting games if multiple teams can't play one weekend, a late fall schedule, a spring schedule, etc.: However, if they make a hard announcement and then have to backtrack from it, it makes them look like they don't have a clue what they are doing. I think that is what you are seeing. A backtrack from hard announcements instead of bumbling idiots.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
After getting lambasted for weeks, I repeat there will be no college football this year and plug is getting pulled this week. Actually think it benefits GT in many ways
You are getting lambasted because tou keep saying the same thing over and over again in multiple threads. Now you want to say I told you so. It's not so much the message as it is the delivery.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully this will be the end of the NCAA as an entity. Where’s that trophy?

If it's not the NCAA, it'll be another quasi organization. NONE of the conferences want to be the first in line to take bullets. Conferences need the NCAA to take the blame and provide cover for whatever college sports can get away with. The NCAA serves that purpose right now.