The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

GT_EE78

Banned
IF you're active on social media, you can begin to see a swell of SAs speaking out about their concerns with Covid and playing while the virus is so widespread. It will be interesting to see what happens once the virus becomes rampant inside teams and each player can see first hand the affects on their teammates.

Yesterday, a high first round draft pick from Penn State decided to opt out of the season and begin his preparations for the NFL draft.

I expect as camp draws closer and the season draws closer, a lot more players begin to opt out...especially if they have a professional future in football.

with 85 on a roster, teams will be fine even if 25% opt out.Infections occurring is a given.hopefully it will be manageable so they can play and that schools will still cover schollies for those who opted out.Although i doubt that would be a legal obligation.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
B10 players are the latest to issue demands (some have already been announced by the conference). Over 1,000 B10 football players listed on the letter.

The Big Ten Unity Proposal includes a number of athlete safeguards, including but not limited to:

• Third-party testing
  • Penalties for noncompliance
  • Adherence to WHO and CDC guidelines for all sporting events and compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
  • Social distancing and mask requirements in and around athletic facilities
  • Banning the use of COVID-19 liability waivers
  • Automatic medical redshirt for any player who misses any competitions due to a positive test or a mandatory quarantine due to contact tracing
The B10 has also announced that high contact sports will require a minimum of 2 tests per week, including one not more than 72 hours before a competition. The story has a link in it to the 5 page additional protocols the B10 announced today. Anyone in close contact to someone who tests positive will be required to sit out 14 days with no ability to test out.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
If you look at the list of demands from the Pac-12 football players........Sorry, but its time for me to Opt-out of college football.
Curious. You are opting out because some players in another conference are making demands that they won’t get? Seems an over reaction doesn’t it? Kind of like demanding 50% of revenue?

herb

Helluva Engineer
The Big Ten Unity Proposal includes a number of athlete safeguards, including but not limited to:

• Third-party testing
  • Penalties for noncompliance
  • Adherence to WHO and CDC guidelines for all sporting events and compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
  • Social distancing and mask requirements in and around athletic facilities
  • Banning the use of COVID-19 liability waivers
  • Automatic medical redshirt for any player who misses any competitions due to a positive test or a mandatory quarantine due to contact tracing

These seem pretty reasonable to me.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
If you look at the list of demands from the Pac-12 football players........Sorry, but its time for me to Opt-out of college football.
It’s beginning to look like that. If they cancel, it would be a good time for all sports to stop for a couple of years and hit a reset button.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
PAC12 looks like it is the first conference trying to figure out how they will have the AA's survive if the season is cancelled.
PAC12 is offering schools $83M loan with a 3.75% interest rate if the season is cancelled. Sounds like the loan is being collateralized by the TV Contract.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
NCAA punted on making a decision about fall championships. Laid out requirements divisions have to meet to have championships but gave each division the right to decide on its own by Aug 21st if they are going to hold them. Div III went ahead and immediately cancelled. My opinion is that Div II will also cancel but Div I will move forward.

it does feel like the NCAA is basically washing its hands and saying if you want to play go ahead, but we aren't going to be responsible for anything.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If the B10 declines any of these you after wonder why. It is not explicitly stated, but it appears the players are willing to opt out in large numbers without substantial agreement.

I can see not going along with a blanket ban on liability waivers and not automatically giving an extra year to any player who misses any competition due to the virus.

Liability waivers can be good and bad. You don't want a team or business forcing people into crowded confined spaces with little ventilation. You don't want a team to allow people to go around intentionally coughing on players. However, you don't want automatic lawsuits any time someone catches the virus if a team/business is taking substantial steps to prevent/limit the spread of the virus either.

There isn't a situation in which any other medical condition has allowed players to get automatic extra seasons if they occur. If you break your tibia and fibula after playing three games, you can possibly get an extra year. If you break your tibia and fibula after playing four games, you can't. I don't see why the virus should be treated any differently from that respect than any other medical condition that would limit the number of games a player is able to play in.

GT_EE78

Banned
I really don't see any college team playing this year, sad i love college football but don't see it now.
because of team size,football is just more difficult than baseball or basketball.
baseball is doing good so far . I think football has 50% chance so I'm just hoping it goes well.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I can see not going along with a blanket ban on liability waivers and not automatically giving an extra year to any player who misses any competition due to the virus.

Liability waivers can be good and bad. You don't want a team or business forcing people into crowded confined spaces with little ventilation. You don't want a team to allow people to go around intentionally coughing on players. However, you don't want automatic lawsuits any time someone catches the virus if a team/business is taking substantial steps to prevent/limit the spread of the virus either.

There isn't a situation in which any other medical condition has allowed players to get automatic extra seasons if they occur. If you break your tibia and fibula after playing three games, you can possibly get an extra year. If you break your tibia and fibula after playing four games, you can't. I don't see why the virus should be treated any differently from that respect than any other medical condition that would limit the number of games a player is able to play in.
Michael McCann posted his opinion about waivers in si a while back. He said waivers are not really enforceable if you've been negligent. And, suing the AA if you are infected would be really problematic since there would be no way to prove you were infected while on campus or by someone affiliated with the program.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Michael McCann posted his opinion about waivers in si a while back. He said waivers are not really enforceable if you've been negligent. And, suing the AA if you are infected would be really problematic since there would be no way to prove you were infected while on campus or by someone affiliated with the program.

Which basically goes along with what I stated. You shouldn't be denied the ability to file a lawsuit if the other party is grossly negligent or outright injurious. You also shouldn't be able to file a lawsuit just because you get sick. Whether you can prove the team caused you to get sick or not isn't really a big deterrent to people filing lawsuits. Once you get lawyers and insurance companies involved, it is often less expensive to pay money to settle the lawsuit than it is to go to trial.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

My take on the automatic extra season is that players can opt out and have a better (maybe) chance of not being infected. They are saying, if I agree to play, I want the NCAA and the conference to guarantee that I will not lose eligibilty if I am infected.

I agree, it is different than any other medical situation.