The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
LSU has at least 30 football players in quarantine after testing positive
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...onavirus-outbreak-in-baton-rouge-per-reports/

The NFLPA Medical Director is encouraging all NFL football players to not take part in any group workouts until training camps start.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...together-after-increase-in-coronavirus-cases/

To All Players:

Please be advised that it is our consensus medical opinion that in light of the increase in Covid-19 cases in certain states that no players should be engaged in practicing together in private workouts. Our goal is to have all players and your families as healthy as possible in the coming months.

We are working on the best mitigation procedures at team facilities for both training camps and the upcoming season, and believe that it is in the best interest of all players that we advice against any voluntary joint practices before training camp commences.

Stay safe,

Dr. Thom Mayer

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This article discusses in more detail the difficulties college football will have as a whole in returning this fall:

The biggest takeaway for me is how it's left to each school on how to handle this, testing protocols, and quarantining. It's absolutely bonkers the NCAA hasn't put out a guideline that's consistent across every school. There are some schools that can't afford to test on a regular basis, other schools that have to wait FIVE DAYS for test results. FIVE DAYS!!! Imagine playing a team that doesn't know if they're lining up across from players who are positive for the virus but don't know it because lab results are still pending.

At minimum, if schools and the NCAA want to play this fall, there should be consistent testing across the board. The fact that U of Houston didn't even test before they began voluntary workouts is absurd. You can bet it was the lawyers that shut down U of Houston's workouts.

There is resignation that some schools will not be able to play games this Fall due to too many players quarantining from the virus, and there is resignation that coaches will be without some players for a game or two.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This article discusses in more detail the difficulties college football will have as a whole in returning this fall:

The biggest takeaway for me is how it's left to each school on how to handle this, testing protocols, and quarantining. It's absolutely bonkers the NCAA hasn't put out a guideline that's consistent across every school. There are some schools that can't afford to test on a regular basis, other schools that have to wait FIVE DAYS for test results. FIVE DAYS!!! Imagine playing a team that doesn't know if they're lining up across from players who are positive for the virus but don't know it because lab results are still pending.

At minimum, if schools and the NCAA want to play this fall, there should be consistent testing across the board. The fact that U of Houston didn't even test before they began voluntary workouts is absurd. You can bet it was the lawyers that shut down U of Houston's workouts.

There is resignation that some schools will not be able to play games this Fall due to too many players quarantining from the virus, and there is resignation that coaches will be without some players for a game or two.

Something a brought up earlier:

The most uncomfortable subject for administrators and coaches is the potential death of a player. There are concerns about pre-existing conditions that the virus can exploit and exacerbate. So far around college football, there’s been no positive case that’s publicly known that’s led to a player on a ventilator or gotten seriously ill. But what do administrators do when that image emerges?

No seems to want to talk about it...and it's clear even on this thread it's the boogie man for all of us. Statistically speaking, odds are there will be an athlete (or a few) who will need to be hospitalized for this, and there's a chance an SA will die (though it's statistically small). A statistically small chance does NOT mean zero. Hopefully we won't ever need to discuss it, but if death does occur you can pretty much count on college sports stopping because the media would make it untenable that amatuer SAs are risking their lives so schools can make money.

Here's an interesting quote from a coach:

A coach at the Group of Five level said he felt uncomfortable about the optics of amateur players being subjected to the bubble-like conditions that may be needed to have a successful season.

“There are only 10 to 12 programs that can really afford all the testing and medical attention the NFL is giving guys,” the coach said. “These players aren’t independent contractors. They are 17-to 21-year olds with no union representation. No one is fighting for them.”

Now imagine an entire team putting their foot down and not working out because they don't feel safe. It almost happened at UCLA.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

The most uncomfortable subject for administrators and coaches is the potential death of a player. There are concerns about pre-existing conditions that the virus can exploit and exacerbate. So far around college football, there’s been no positive case that’s publicly known that’s led to a player on a ventilator or gotten seriously ill. But what do administrators do when that image emerges?

No seems to want to talk about it...and it's clear even on this thread it's the boogie man for all of us. Statistically speaking, odds are there will be an athlete (or a few) who will need to be hospitalized for this, and there's a chance an SA will die (though it's statistically small). A statistically small chance does NOT mean zero. Hopefully we won't ever need to discuss it, but if death does occur you can pretty much count on college sports stopping because the media would make it untenable that amatuer SAs are risking their lives so schools can make money.

A coach at the Group of Five level said he felt uncomfortable about the optics of amateur players being subjected to the bubble-like conditions that may be needed to have a successful season.

“There are only 10 to 12 programs that can really afford all the testing and medical attention the NFL is giving guys,” the coach said. “These players aren’t independent contractors. They are 17-to 21-year olds with no union representation. No one is fighting for them.”

Now imagine an entire team putting their foot down and not working out because they don't feel safe. It almost happened at UCLA.

I think the chance of a college football player dying from COVID is a fraction (maybe 5%) of the risk of death from other causes (heart attack, car / scooter accident, etc). As I posted in the COVID thread, peak weekly COVID deaths to total deaths was about 15% and that has gone down to about 10%. So I think healthy football players would be a fraction of that.

The bigger issue is the spread of COVID caused by the players to their families and older / compromised people.

But given many people don't have enough respect for others to wear a mask or social distance, I think that college athletes actions and risk to society are largely symbolic. And each college athlete is going to have to decide what is the right course of action for him to take. Hopefully none will be stripped of a scholarship based on their actions. But I'm not naive enough to believe that.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I am beginning to think there will be no college season this year, it will be too big of a risk.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I am beginning to think there will be no college season this year, it will be too big of a risk.

I hope we are both wrong. Emotionally, I think the US could use sports ASAP as a way to unify and heal our country. Sports has always played an important part for our country to move forward and take our minds off reality.

Unfortunately, there are too many out there not willing to do what's necessary for us to have sports. There's a video of a man walking into WalMart trying to fight his way inside without a mask even though it's now that town's policy for everyone to wear a mask.

If everyone just does the little things, the infection rate (and in turn hospitlizations and death) would plummet, and we can all return to living our normal lives with sports and returning to gyms and restaurants. Unfortunately, for some people, the little things are too much to ask for.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think the chance of a college football player dying from COVID is a fraction (maybe 5%) of the risk of death from other causes (heart attack, car / scooter accident, etc). As I posted in the COVID thread, peak weekly COVID deaths to total deaths was about 15% and that has gone down to about 10%. So I think healthy football players would be a fraction of that.

The bigger issue is the spread of COVID caused by the players to their families and older / compromised people.

But given many people don't have enough respect for others to wear a mask or social distance, I think that college athletes actions and risk to society are largely symbolic. And each college athlete is going to have to decide what is the right course of action for him to take. Hopefully none will be stripped of a scholarship based on their actions. But I'm not naive enough to believe that.

Yup...100%.

That's the thing no one really discusses or wants to acknowledge. This virus isn't just about the players, it's a big web of interconnected relationships that acts as gasoline for the virus. There's a reason why contact tracing is a key component to stopping this virus...it helps disconnect the strands that connect everyone in the infections chain.

The virus is a complex issue with many layers. Sports fans are just focusing on the surface layers right now when the other layers have the same consequences. If we want sports, we need to start being serious about what we need to do to have it.

Any infected players could spread it to their families or others whether there are games or not.

I hope we are both wrong. Emotionally, I think the US could use sports ASAP as a way to unify and heal our country. Sports has always played an important part for our country to move forward and take our minds off reality.

Unfortunately, there are too many out there not willing to do what's necessary for us to have sports. There's a video of a man walking into WalMart trying to fight his way inside without a mask even though it's now that town's policy for everyone to wear a mask.

If everyone just does the little things, the infection rate (and in turn hospitlizations and death) would plummet, and we can all return to living our normal lives with sports and returning to gyms and restaurants. Unfortunately, for some people, the little things are too much to ask for.

WOW. What a stupid POS.

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow

Even aside from the death risk, which does appear low, the risk of severe lung injury or other complications is real. There's evidence of even asymptomatic people having severe lung scarring. What happens when a star player with NFL prospects can't run anymore because they've lost half their lung capacity?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Add to that the questionable reliability of the tests, and the complicating factor of the upcoming regular flu season. The future of sports this year is murky, very murky.

First Cancellations Emerge for College Football (pardon if this has already been posted)
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/17/...onavirus-college-football-games-canceled.html

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Even aside from the death risk, which does appear low, the risk of severe lung injury or other complications is real. There's evidence of even asymptomatic people having severe lung scarring. What happens when a star player with NFL prospects can't run anymore because they've lost half their lung capacity?

Yup...I brought that up earlier in the thread and it was pretty much brushed over. Too many people want sports back that they overlook the long term implications of getting the virus. If it's not death for the SAs, then everything is fine and dandy for their entertainment.

If I'm a high round NFL prospect, selfishly and for the sake of potentially costing my family millions of dollars, I'm making the school/NCAA buy me a $10 million dollar insurance policy that specifically addresses the possible damages of Covid 19 or I'm sitting out. There's a high probability insurers are not going to touch it. Someone like Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields have the power to sit it out and not cause damage to their stock...it's the ones that are pro prospects that aren't guaranteed high round picks that should really worry. Don't even get me started on the those stupid waivers schools are making SAs sign. F them...talk about cowards that want to reap the revenue and put their SAs at risk without assuming any liability.

IMO, what we'll see are SAs getting infections at an alarming rate and schools and the NCAA won't have a choice but to shut it down.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Yup...I brought that up earlier in the thread and it was pretty much brushed over. Too many people want sports back that they overlook the long term implications of getting the virus. If it's not death for the SAs, then everything is fine and dandy for their entertainment.

If I'm a high round NFL prospect, selfishly and for the sake of potentially costing my family millions of dollars, I'm making the school/NCAA buy me a $10 million dollar insurance policy that specifically addresses the possible damages of Covid 19 or I'm sitting out. There's a high probability insurers are not going to touch it. Someone like Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields have the power to sit it out and not cause damage to their stock...it's the ones that are pro prospects that aren't guaranteed high round picks that should really worry. Don't even get me started on the those stupid waivers schools are making SAs sign. F them...talk about cowards that want to reap the revenue and put their SAs at risk without assuming any liability.

IMO, what we'll see are SAs getting infections at an alarming rate and schools and the NCAA won't have a choice but to shut it down.

I am not for paying players in college(though I’m fine with them earning money on their likeness while in college), but the waiver thing during a global pandemic is really a bad look for the not paying players people. It definitely comes off as further exploitation of these kids.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

I still don't see the SEC, Big 12, or the ACC not having football this year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Even aside from the death risk, which does appear low, the risk of severe lung injury or other complications is real. There's evidence of even asymptomatic people having severe lung scarring. .......

Do you have a link for asymptomatic (or mildly symptomatic) people having severe lung injury?

It doesn't make sense to me, but that doesn't mean much without the facts. Best I could find was where mildly symptomatic had a short term lung impairment:
https://www.theunion.org/news-centr...ause-lung-injury-and-lung-function-impairment

One PARTIAL possible remedy for that is for everyone to get an anti-pneumonia shot and take daily doses of Zinc and Vitamin D-3. None of those will prevent the virus, but they can and apparently do (according to my pulmonary specialist) minimize the effects that the virus has on the body.