The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Money is distributed to conferences not teams. Everyone in the conference gets the same TV payout.
Where the different comes in is all the ancillary income that the larger fanbases tend to get.

i don't expect the TV to look significantly different than it has for the last few years.

The one interesting wrinkle is going to be the potential that there is actually alot more televised sports than normal for a couple of months this fall (before possibly having less than normal come winter).
Basketball is planning on starting up at the end of July with playoffs in Sept through mid-October.
Baseball will schedule games at some point.
NHL is going to finish their season with playoffs at some point.

There may actually be alot of sports competing for eyeballs in September and October, way more than normal.
You could have multiple sports having their playoffs in the September-October timeframe that normally have no games.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good article with alot of details of the NBA's plan to return. Everything to where teams are staying, to what the timeframe for games are.
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...ble-will-work-as-league-plans-to-resume-play/

it appears as though MLB is trying to salvage their season. They apparently made a new offer to the Union today. 60 games in 70 days, full prorated salaries, expanded playoffs in 2020 and 2021 and no grievance filed by union.
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...-proposal-rob-manfred-tony-clark-meeting-per/

Also, at least a few NFL head coaches are wondering if the NFL should postpone the start of their season.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...lar-season-delayed-after-cowboys-coronavirus/

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Article on the waivers that are starting to pop up with lawyers talking about issues like enforceability, coercion, what SA's should do, etc. The lawyers also mention that any school that isn't testing players as they return is putting themselves in legal jeopardy if someone gets sick and dies. (FWIW, Houston was one of a number of schools that did not test their SA's before allowing them to return to campus and take part in activities).
https://www.si.com/college/2020/06/17/college-athletes-coronavirus-waivers-ohio-state-smu

Good article on the protocols and processes that the Univ of Ill is using as its football SA's return.
https://www.si.com/college/illinois...orkout-procedure-changes-covid19-june-16-2020

Our festival in Oriental is part of a consortium of entertainment presenters in NC. Here is a resource the consortium is using re: liability. The first video is about event liability. The second is on waivers. The subject is dry, but this guy does a good job of making it interesting.

He also has one on trespass law, which would cover someone coming to a stadium or venue and not following the rules for masks or social distancing.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Correct that students are currently scheduled to be back on campus at most schools. Incorrect to say that there is not an appreciable number people advocating that we should not allow schools to open.

CDC reports 116 COVID 19 deaths in the 15-24 age group so far. There are almost 44 million people in that age group in the US.

In 2018 2,476 teenagers ages 13-19 died in motor vehicle crashes in 2018. I could not find 15-24 stats, but it's a safe bet that it's more than 2500 per year. That's more than 1o times the number of COVID 19 deaths (annualized). Many times that number were injured. It's pretty simple. Let's not let people get in cars.

The vast majority of people who contract the disease the symptoms have "mild flu like symptoms", especially among younger people. That is not going to overload the health care system. At a teaching hospital in a metropolitan area of 800,000, plus the largest private hospital in the area, as of three weeks ago there were at total of three Covid 19 inpatients.

The incidence rate may be rising for 40-50 year olds, but again, with flu like symptoms. Less than 7.5% of deaths are people under 55 according to CDC statistics. Which is back to my point. Are we going to shut down for every health risk, from flu to cars? I have two kids in college. Am I afraid for them to go back? Not at all.

Viruses are very fragile. UV from sunlight kills this virus. I laugh at people walking down the street on a sunny day wearing masks, or riding alone in a car. There is so much misinformation from the media it's disgusting. At the teaching hospital I referred to a memo went out that staff should wear masks. For scientific reasons? No, due to public perception is what the memo stated. A surgeon I spoke with recently was complaining about protocols put in place--he was quick to say none were based on science.

So let's have college football. The kids who want to play can play. The people who want to attend can attend. You have to be hiding in a cave to not know the risk, which is low for people with no underlying health issues.

What happened to freedom to make your own decisions in this country? More importantly, what happened to freedom? There are risks in living in a free society. I prefer freedom to governmental dictates, but apparently most Americans don't feel the same. That's the real illness.

I haven't advocated for not having kids on campus or not having college football, I hope to have both.
i would advocate for social distancing. There is no reason for 50,000 people to be in the stands of a football stadium. That has the potential for very serious consequences. Even if most of those in the stadium are young and healthy they will interact with people who are not. If you take all the folks who are at a higher risk (that would include all seniors and all people with underlying conditions) that would amount to roughly 45% of the US adult population.

The studies are pretty clear on mask usage, if you use them you knock down the spread of the virus. You had the case in Missouri where the 2 infected hair stylists worked on 140 people and none got sick as the stylists and all 140 customers were wearing masks.
AZ is currently at 85% io hospital bed usage state wide. Montgomery, AL is currently at 100% of bed utilization and the mayor and some of the doctors at the local hospitals asked the city council to approve a mandatory mask ordinance - it was voted down 5-4.
When I go out I take a mask with me. If no one is around I do not wear one. If I am going to be within 10 ft of people for any period of time then I put it on. It's a pretty simple gesture.

The US is currently the Western 1st world country with the second highest new case rate per capita after only Sweden. Brazil, Peru and Saudia Arabia have higher per capita new case rates than either. We have lost 116K officially and probably closer to 175K if you look at excess deaths and even now COVID is the 3rd leading cause of death in the US behind Heart Disease and Cancer - and still far ahead of the 4th leading cause of death in the US - accidents, and is currently killing roughly 6-7X every day what the flu kills on a daily basis.

Like I implied, i'm not in favor of locking the country down, but I am in favor of doing small, easy things that would help control the spread.
Ironically, those who want to argue for the greatest 'freedom' don't want to take the simple steps that would allow everyone to have the most freedom and have the country be the most open. as the Surgeon General said, wearing a mask increases our freedom, not decreases it.

We have seem to have forgotten common courtesy in this country, it's sort of sad.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Maybe 2020 has rotted my memory, but weren’t you adamant not that long ago that students on campus wasn’t happening in the Fall?

I was adamant that there wouldn't be college football if students weren't there in the fall.
I also thought based on comments from some AD's if some schools weren't able to play or have students it would bring the whole thing down, but that has clearly changed as well.
I do still worry about getting through a whole season. Keep the fingers crossed.

FWIW, NBA's health and safety protocol for their restart is 113 pages.
https://www.si.com/nba/2020/06/17/nba-coaches-masks-orlando-coronavirus-season-restart

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll give you one other item where I may very well be wrong.
it appears college football may be one of the first sports to try to play with fans in the stands in the US, which really does surprise me.
NHL, NBA, MLS, MLB are all planning on playing without fans (heck NBA isn't even guaranteeing that fans will be allowed for the 2020-2021 season, may play that season without fans or with a limit of 15-20%). PGA is currently playing without fans with the exception of the Memorial where they have been approved to play with 8,000 fans in attendance -who have to wear masks. PGA Championship was given an official go-ahead for August with no fans in attendence. US Open at Flushing Meadows will be without fans.

College football seems pretty determined to try to play with as many fans as they can. Texas and Texas A&M are trying to convince the Governor of Texas to increase the current limit from 50% attendance because it keeps them from getting all their season ticket holders in.

College football could have widely varying numbers of fans allowed depending upon where you live. Ultimately that will likely be determined by the governor of each state of what the limit % for capacity will be. I expect Southern states will have governors willing to have higher % limits than in some other parts of the country.
it's sort of like testing for colleges. Since there is no national standard being set by the NCAA it is up to each school and/or conference to decide what testing is going to be required of SA's and how positive tests are going to be handled.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The ACC announced today that it will hold its media days virtually, like basically every other conference. Kinda humorous that the virus is a big enough threat to cancel in person participation of a rather small event but a month later we will be ready to cram 50k+ in together.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'll give you one other item where I may very well be wrong.
it appears college football may be one of the first sports to try to play with fans in the stands in the US, which really does surprise me.
NHL, NBA, MLS, MLB are all planning on playing without fans (heck NBA isn't even guaranteeing that fans will be allowed for the 2020-2021 season, may play that season without fans or with a limit of 15-20%). PGA is currently playing without fans with the exception of the Memorial where they have been approved to play with 8,000 fans in attendance -who have to wear masks. PGA Championship was given an official go-ahead for August with no fans in attendence. US Open at Flushing Meadows will be without fans.

College football seems pretty determined to try to play with as many fans as they can. Texas and Texas A&M are trying to convince the Governor of Texas to increase the current limit from 50% attendance because it keeps them from getting all their season ticket holders in.

College football could have widely varying numbers of fans allowed depending upon where you live. Ultimately that will likely be determined by the governor of each state of what the limit % for capacity will be. I expect Southern states will have governors willing to have higher % limits than in some other parts of the country.
it's sort of like testing for colleges. Since there is no national standard being set by the NCAA it is up to each school and/or conference to decide what testing is going to be required of SA's and how positive tests are going to be handled.
Any southern state if the Governor wants to be re-elected would not stop college football and their fans from coming to football game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The outcome of Covid 19 infection is different for everyone. Doctors and scientist are starting to find that blood type plays a role. It's well documented that Ethnicity, BMI, age, and other factors play a role. You can't simply say "Well, SAs are young, so they are the least at risk." That's just lazy and doesn't take into account the human side of this issue. Statistically speaking in terms of general population, that is true. However, when you drill down to it, no one knows how each player will react to getting infected...and it's just not players, but the population in general.

This is a game of statistics. SAs and athletes across the nation are starting to become infected. University of Houston just shut down their startup phase after a week due to infections. From a strictly statistical standpoint, there will be an SA (or quite a few) that will have to go to the hospital because of the infection. If statistics plays out, there is a chance of death given the amount of SAs in college sports. There is a reason schools are making SAs sign waivers.

Which takes me to the next point: Are we prepared for the day an athlete dies of Covid 19? Is that the price we pay to have sports back? It may not be someone you know, but that person may be someone's son/daughter, friend, boyfriend/girlfriend, maybe even someone's husband/wife. If you haven't thought this thing through to that point, then you are being selfish because you can't have sports without SAs, and in this environment, SAs are risking their health for your entertainment.

I hope I'm 100% wrong with the above, but odds are the longer we try to get sports back on the field/courts/etc. the odds of something bad or even catastrophic increases for SAs. It's just statistical game of chicken right now.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Back on topic - Will the 2020 college football season start on time? What's the % likelihood we will be watching Tech play Clemson on Sept. 3rd?

100%!!! The only question is the amount of rear ends in the stands.

We may not agree with it, but fact is that too much money is made from college football that the season must be played. Moral, ethical and legal questions be damned.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There were several posts more related to the topic of coronavirus and not so much to the start of college FB so those got moved over to the coronavirus thread in the lounge. If I missed several that are better suited there than here, my apologies in advance.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Back on topic - Will the 2020 college football season start on time? What's the % likelihood we will be watching Tech play Clemson on Sept. 3rd?

I'd say 95%. Things would have to go really sideways for it not to start on time.
The more interesting questions will be how many, if any, fans are allowed in the stands - right now i think that may be different for each state, and will a full season get played. (I lean toward yes, but if Techster's scenario happens where an SA dies or if enough get really sick then I could see it getting shortened).

I'd largely agree with TooTall. there was alot of talk by AD's back in April of what had to occur that has clearly changed based on finances.

herb

Helluva Engineer
I'd say 95%. Things would have to go really sideways for it not to start on time.
The more interesting questions will be how many, if any, fans are allowed in the stands - right now i think that may be different for each state, and will a full season get played. (I lean toward yes, but if Techster's scenario happens where an SA dies or if enough get really sick then I could see it getting shortened).

I'd largely agree with TooTall. there was alot of talk by AD's back in April of what had to occur that has clearly changed based on finances.

way, WAY less than 95%. I think it will probably start on time, but if you want to give me 20:1 odds, I'll take no.