The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This has all been interesting to watch. Going to class had nothing to do with anything. It’s being on campus and the social aspect that’s the big risk. And neither is playing football the big risk. It’s amazing how many university administration people still have no clue.
You seem to misunderstand the reason for canceling in person classes. The students are not going to stay on campus in large numbers with no classes. This why NCSU saying kids could stay in campus residence halls if they wished was so bizarre. If the students/families want to get residence and meal plan refunds, they have to act right away (today at NCSU and by Tuesday or Wednesday at ECU). ECU is close enough to Oriental that some grad students live in Oriental and commute to ECU for classes and labs. For them, the campus will suddenly be much safer.

I do not blame 18-24 year old students for behaving like 18-24 year old students. The reopening plans that depended on them behaving differently is the reason we are seeing the COVID clusters around college campuses. Having those young people return home will let the campus recover somewhat. But, the damage has been done to the reputations of these schools. All in the name of football.

The NCAA and ADs at the D1 programs have denied that their athletes are any different from other students. They say some play in the band or go chess club, others play sports. Keeping football players on campus right now is terrible PR for the student-athlete model they have promoted for decades. At some point it is going to crash completely as a result of the decision to play football this fall. Now is probably a good time.

Deleted member 2897

You seem to misunderstand the reason for canceling in person classes. The students are not going to stay on campus in large numbers with no classes. This why NCSU saying kids could stay in campus residence halls if they wished was so bizarre. If the students/families want to get residence and meal plan refunds, they have to act right away (today at NCSU and by Tuesday or Wednesday at ECU).

Oh I’m on it and have been on it. As we have said here for a long time, this has always been about money. And you almost caught yourself here - right after you state they aren’t going to stay, you then point out they are. That’s exactly the point. Chapel Hill, NC State, and all around the country will be in dorms and in apartments. IIWII.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
You seem to misunderstand the reason for canceling in person classes. The students are not going to stay on campus in large numbers with no classes. This why NCSU saying kids could stay in campus residence halls if they wished was so bizarre. If the students/families want to get residence and meal plan refunds, they have to act right away (today at NCSU and by Tuesday or Wednesday at ECU). ECU is close enough to Oriental that some grad students live in Oriental and commute to ECU for classes and labs. For them, the campus will suddenly be much safer.

I do not blame 18-24 year old students for behaving like 18-24 year old students. The reopening plans that depended on them behaving differently is the reason we are seeing the COVID clusters around college campuses. Having those young people return home will let the campus recover somewhat. But, the damage has been done to the reputations of these schools. All in the name of football.

The NCAA and ADs at the D1 programs have denied that their athletes are any different from other students. They say some play in the band or go chess club, others play sports. Keeping football players on campus right now is terrible PR for the student-athlete model they have promoted for decades. At some point it is going to crash completely as a result of the decision to play football this fall. Now is probably a good time.
I don't understand your last paragraph at all. I've never heard anyone (NCAA or ADs included) make a claim that SAs are "same" as students... especially football players. They are treated differently... have been for as far back as you care to reference. Things have evolved... but they are treated differently. I don't have a problem with that (for most part). IIWII. In a pandemic... with a legit possibility to play fall sports, I'm willing to accept more special treatment. I do draw line at abandoning any requirement to attend class (like every other student) & pursue their degree (like every other student). As far as I know... everyone is still good on that regard.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't understand your last paragraph at all. I've never heard anyone (NCAA or ADs included) make a claim that SAs are "same" as students... especially football players. They are treated differently... have been for as far back as you care to reference. Things have evolved... but they are treated differently. I don't have a problem with that (for most part). IIWII. In a pandemic... with a legit possibility to play fall sports, I'm willing to accept more special treatment. I do draw line at abandoning any requirement to attend class (like every other student) & pursue their degree (like every other student). As far as I know... everyone is still good on that regard.
They don't run these ads so much any more, but this was the mantra for years.

GT_EE78

Banned
Although not totally relevant to this conversation, I guess this is as good a thread to post it on as any. Time to get FIRED UP, Yellow Jackets !!!
I dunno what the band is gonna do, but it's definitely time to get fired up about GT football season starting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to hell with naysayers.THWN..
THWN again

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is a very interesting read:

And this is a follow up letter from a student:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
GSU QB out with heart condition as a result of his COVID infection.

Deleted member 2897

Shocked Greek housing was allowed.

It’s kind of like saying you can’t hang out in apartments and bars. You can’t really stop people from congregating. Everybody knows it’s dangerous right now and you shouldn’t. But kids also know their health risk is extremely minimal, and at that age they’re also very “don’t tell me what to do”. This behavior is the same thing that’s been going on all spring and summer. It’s really not even news in a way.

GT_EE78

Banned
> sounds OK
Georgia Southern will play games with a 25 percent seating capacity - about 6,000 spectators.
All spectators will be required to wear face coverings inside the stadium.
Tailgating will be allowed in specific areas surrounding the Statesboro facility. Social distancing guidelines are encouraged with groups limited to 10 persons in one designated area at one time.