The 2016-2017 season starts now...

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think it's interesting that he brought up conditioning. Two years ago I suspected fatigue was an issue in many of our late game losses.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
When they moved Q to the 4 spot it was inevitable they were going 4 out

My question is about tempo. Not sure we have the athletes to play fast. Easy baskets are great when you are offensively challenged but you give them up too.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Several comments about the article. Pastner said he has to build an offense around the talent he has, rather than force fit these guys into his own scheme. I like that attitude. Second, expect our offensive rebounds to go way down and our dependency on 3-point shots to go up. We played a 4-out offense in high school to great success, but we had an All-state center who was later All-SEC at Auburn. If our perimeter guys can penetrate, this will be a decent plan, but we need to make the defense respect that part of the offense. Contested treys are a losers game.

The Cuse game will be interesting.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Let's make sure we hold on to this if we need it.

I bet we get 3-4 wins...I mean hell, we play Boston College, right?

This team can't be much worse than the 2008-2009 team when we went 2-14 in conference play...ugh bad memories. I feel like we'd beat those guys

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately we only play BC once. It will be for the bottom spot in the conference.

Looked at the 2008 roster and would take every spot on that team over this roster. Possibly Lammers over Aminou but that is a reach.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Several comments about the article. Pastner said he has to build an offense around the talent he has, rather than force fit these guys into his own scheme. I like that attitude. Second, expect our offensive rebounds to go way down and our dependency on 3-point shots to go up. We played a 4-out offense in high school to great success, but we had an All-state center who was later All-SEC at Auburn. If our perimeter guys can penetrate, this will be a decent plan, but we need to make the defense respect that part of the offense. Contested treys are a losers game.

The Cuse game will be interesting.

He wants to match his players AND do what he do. I think he prefers 2 in 3 out in his scheme, but will go 1 in 4 out because we only have 2 guys who can play in. He did the same thing in his last year at Memphis.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
From the AJC link -
Quinton Stephens
Position: Forward.
Height: 6-9.
Career averages Points: 4.8.
Shooting percentage: 36.0.
3-point percentage: 31.0.
Rebounds: 2.9.

Coach Josh Pastner’s take: He’s got to understand about shot selection. When he takes great shots he’s a great player. When he tries to force the game and not keep it simple and do things that aren’t in his game then he becomes a player that’s not real effective and not real efficient. He’s got to be a guy that’s effective and efficient, get his open shots and when his feet are set drill it. He’s got to do a good job on the glass for us. He’s got to get to the free-throw line more.

CJP's comments are true regarding any player.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
AJC's link for Corey Heyward
Link

Coach Josh Pastner’s take: Tough, hard-nosed. Got to continue to improve his shooting. He’s got to have a high assist to low turnover ratio. Simple, sound and solid in executing what needs to be executed. Be a great defender. He’s gotten better with his conditioning for us too. Understanding about driving angles and clipping the hip on all of our drives.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
CBSSports ranks all 351 college basketball programs.

GT is the lowest rated ACC school at 218 (ACC has 8 in the Top 32, 12 in the top 52.). on the plus side GT is the 6th highest rated school in GA behind UGA, GA ST, GA SO, Mercer, Kennesaw St.

GATECH.png
218. Georgia Tech

It's entirely possible I'm listing Tech too high. Josh Pastner does not have a roster he can work a lot with right now. He'll need at least two years to recruit and rebuild, and he's hired a very solid staff. But it's going to be a long year for the Bees.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...cbs-sports-1-351-college-basketball-rankings/

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
2008-09 roster is so much more talented than this one it isn't even funny, That 2008 squad may have been the most poorly coached team I have seen at any level in 35 yrs of following basketball.

Here was your starting 5
Mo Miller - low 4 star PG
Iman Shumpert - 5 star SG
Lewis Clinch - high 4 star SG
Gani Lawal - 5 star PF
Zack Peacock - high 3 star PF

Alade Aminu and Lance Storrs were the primary backups. Aminu started a handful of games where they brought Miller off the bench and started Iman at PG. Not a deep team - but some real talent on that team.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Clinch was a prime example of someone who had all the physical tools and just NEEDED.....SOMEONE....TO COACH him. A mentor. A role model. Something. Could have been will Bynum. Same game. But just.....dang

Where is Lewis now? I'll find out

Dave.S

Jolly Good Fellow
Clinch was a prime example of someone who had all the physical tools and just NEEDED.....SOMEONE....TO COACH him. A mentor. A role model. Something. Could have been will Bynum. Same game. But just.....dang

I always thought the same thing about Clinch, he had a great stroke and from time to time would light it up.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

I hate to say it but I think he had an offer to Duke and he would have been better off taking that one. Glad he didn't but I don't have much doubt the results for him would have been different.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
2008-09 roster is so much more talented than this one it isn't even funny, That 2008 squad may have been the most poorly coached team I have seen at any level in 35 yrs of following basketball.

Here was your starting 5
Mo Miller - low 4 star PG
Iman Shumpert - 5 star SG
Lewis Clinch - high 4 star SG
Gani Lawal - 5 star PF
Zack Peacock - high 3 star PF

Alade Aminu and Lance Storrs were the primary backups. Aminu started a handful of games where they brought Miller off the bench and started Iman at PG. Not a deep team - but some real talent on that team.
Hewitt could recruit, but that contract was ugly.