Thank you, Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animal02

Banned
Well, nearly all coaches in all sports tend to mellow with age. This is true for nearly all old folks in all walks of life, too.

I know I’m a lot more mellower
I have a lot less energy and desire to change the way I work....There are new programs (Revit for example) that are a big improvement, but I have such a huge library of material and a system that makes me efficient. Not enough benefit for me to make the switch now. I assume that it is similar with most professions, including coaching.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Well, nearly all coaches in all sports tend to mellow with age. This is true for nearly all old folks in all walks of life, too.

I know I’m a lot more mellower — and wiser— now. LOL

Now that I am an OWG, I am starting to understand the bias against hiring guys my age. Stuff that seemed to be of vital importance to my younger self just isn't any longer. I don't take myself, events such as football games or my golf score or my work as seriously as I once did.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yeah that moment was awesome.

I noticed over time his juice seemed to fade. I’m not sure if it was because of age or what. But his early days were awesome
It felt like the constant disinformation campaign being waged against him by our opponents coupled with the lack of administration support for the program kind of took the joy out of the job.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Now that I am an OWG, I am starting to understand the bias against hiring guys my age. Stuff that seemed to be of vital importance to my younger self just isn't any longer. I don't take myself, events such as football games or my golf score or my work as seriously as I once did.

One tends to become more accepting and less ambitious with age. At least that's been true in my case.

A recent study showed that older people are generally happier than middle-aged folks. Maybe that's one reason why.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
As for recruiting, most will always blame CPJ for recruiting woes. I will always blame funding and resources during that era. It was pathetic.

And it still ain’t great.

PJ did fight for more staff and the new locker room and players lounge, which were way overdue. The old ones — and this came from TStan himself one night — were embarrassing. Just the basic infrastructure was holding us back in some regard when it came to recruiting.

GT_receivers

Jolly Good Fellow
Exactly. Each time we lost one of those guys I thought we would take a step backwards. Smelter was our top receiver and Snoddy was our home run AB. But our offense was just loaded that year. We weren't even at full strength at B-back for our bowl game.
If we had snoddy, zenon, and smelter, we probably pull out the upset vs Fsu in the ACCCG.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
found this on espn.com, courtesy of noted mutt Mark Schlabach (who actually isn't that bad of a guy ... for a mutt):

My favorite Paul Johnson story: After his team beat Georgia for a second straight time at Sanford Stadium in 2016, officials went to the visiting locker room to present him with the Governor's Cup. They found him staring at the ceiling and asked what he was doing. "Looking for a place for the sign," he said. What sign? "The Paul Johnson visitor's locker room," he replied. "I own this (expletive) place."

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
found this on espn.com, courtesy of noted mutt Mark Schlabach (who actually isn't that bad of a guy ... for a mutt):

My favorite Paul Johnson story: After his team beat Georgia for a second straight time at Sanford Stadium in 2016, officials went to the visiting locker room to present him with the Governor's Cup. They found him staring at the ceiling and asked what he was doing. "Looking for a place for the sign," he said. What sign? "The Paul Johnson visitor's locker room," he replied. "I own this (expletive) place."
So I love the generally confidence and the quote is funny because of my hate for uGA, but does anyone really “own” an opponent’s stadium when they are 3-2 in it (when he said the quote)?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
After 2009, it seemed like cocky CPJ and GT atop the ACC was going to be the norm. Probably one of the funnest 2 year runs I've experienced. Was confident GT would never lose once we got the lead. Fun times.

Yeah. Was it year 3 or year 4 when we were 6-7? I think that killed our momentum and he could never replace the talent, outside of catching lightning in a bottle in 2014. No doubt those first two years showed what he could do with top talent.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah. Was it year 3 or year 4 when we were 6-7? I think that killed our momentum and he could never replace the talent, outside of catching lightning in a bottle in 2014. No doubt those first two years showed what he could do with top talent.

2010 - year 3. Failing to capitalize on the momentum of 2009 and again in 2014 were 2 of PJ's bigger failures, though the 2010 and 2015 seasons were bad for entirely different reasons. It's interesting in hindsight that PJ's 2 worst seasons were ones that followed his 2 best seasons and both Orange Bowls. I thought 2017 and 2018 were pretty telling too, as that's when the high-water recruiting of the post-2014 season should've been paying its biggest dividends, with those guys being Jrs and Srs.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
2010 - year 3. Failing to capitalize on the momentum of 2009 and again in 2014 were 2 of PJ's bigger failures, though the 2010 and 2015 seasons were bad for entirely different reasons. It's interesting in hindsight that PJ's 2 worst seasons were ones that followed his 2 best seasons and both Orange Bowls. I thought 2017 and 2018 were pretty telling too, as that's when the high-water recruiting of the post-2014 season should've been paying its biggest dividends, with those guys being Jrs and Srs.

Ah yes. Going 6-6 and then having our offense bog down against Air Force felt like Gailey was back. If I recall right, uga stunk that year, too. So it felt like a missed opportunity to grab momentum. Okay, I am getting too negative in a positive thread. We had more good than bad and it really felt like we were close to a special run a couple of times.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
After 2009, it seemed like cocky CPJ and GT atop the ACC was going to be the norm. Probably one of the funnest 2 year runs I've experienced. Was confident GT would never lose once we got the lead. Fun times.
It was after either 09 or 10 and I saw PJ the following summer. He alluded to some chemistry problems on the team but didn’t/wouldn’t elaborate

Status
Not open for further replies.