Thank you, Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
PJ was a great offensive coach.But his Offense couldn't recruit generally the level of QB needed for his QB-centric Offense.It also got harder to find very good hi school players (esp WRs) to come here..
The DEf had the same problem.They didn't want to be on a this type OFFensive team -plus-- it hurt the Def badly to practice vs weak passing QBs and WRs, not to mention the abnormal general under-ctr /running Offense.

Certainly had some good times but it was getting tougher to be successful not easier.
Thanks for running a class ship though.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I think CGC would have had his hands full that night as our men were firing on all cylinders. Our front kicked their D front’s ***!!

But.....it’s not a definite as he very well may have tweaked his scheme for the 3O and almost certainly would have called a better game than the interim DC did.
Yeah, lots of what ifs there but I do think it would have been a very different game. Hopefully the same outcome though.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
PJ was a great offensive coach.But his Offense couldn't recruit generally the level of QB needed for his QB-centric Offense.It also got harder to find very good hi school players (esp WRs) to come here..
The DEf had the same problem.They didn't want to be on a this type OFFensive team -plus-- it hurt the Def badly to practice vs weak passing QBs and WRs, not to mention the abnormal general under-ctr /running

We never got to see what Graham could have done in that offense
I also wondered today what would have happened if the Jeff Greenes, Autrys, Philpotts and Howells had stayed

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I think CGC would have had his hands full that night as our men were firing on all cylinders. Our front kicked their D front’s ***!!

But.....it’s not a definite as he very well may have tweaked his scheme for the 3O and almost certainly would have called a better game than the interim DC did.

Ol CPJ would have tweaked his scheme back atcha CGC’s tweaks, too! LOL

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Ol CPJ would have tweaked his scheme back atcha CGC’s tweaks, too! LOL

Agreed. And like I said I don’t think CGC could have stopped our OL from handling their DLine. But we had CPJ going up against a scrub rather than a legitimately good DC.

I think we would have still won but I suspect it might have been a closer game if CGC had been there.

Two more stops for M St and two more possessions for Dak Prescott...

Now would CGC have garnered 2 more stops? I dunno.

Milwaukee

Banned
PJ also put into words what we thought -
“He must have just got off from his job at Walmart”
“Punch him in the face”

It’s getting dusty in here just thinking about that. Anybody who thinks PJ didn’t care when it came to Georgia just wasn’t paying attention

Completely agree. This here is when Paul won me over. Nesbitt tied it up (beautiful playcall btw) but the fist pump and cursing and emotion from Paul made me fall in love with him. I hadn't seen this ever from a Tech coach vs UGA. He hated them and I loved him for it. This fist pump and screaming is JUICE at it's finest. Anytime you need a pick me up just watch Paul's reaction to Josh punching this in.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I was less than thrilled with the "he just got off work at Walmart " joke. I think coach has such a classy body of work no one took him seriously.

Gt fans have a bad habit of nose looking downitus and then blurting something stupid.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow

Nick Saban wouldve had his hands full that night. I dont think in anyone in the country wouldve stopped us that night.

If we had a defense that was ranked 10 to 20 spots higher, we wouldve been in the NC game. We definitely wouldve won that ACC Title Game against the crab thief and FSU.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Nick Saban wouldve had his hands full that night. I dont think in anyone in the country wouldve stopped us that night.

If we had a defense that was ranked 10 to 20 spots higher, we wouldve been in the NC game. We definitely wouldve won that ACC Title Game against the crab thief and FSU.

People forget we won that Orange Bowl without three of our fastest players on offense. No Zenon. No Snoddy. No Smelter.

Completely agree. This here is when Paul won me over. Nesbitt tied it up (beautiful playcall btw) but the fist pump and cursing and emotion from Paul made me fall in love with him. I hadn't seen this ever from a Tech coach vs UGA. He hated them and I loved him for it. This fist pump and screaming is JUICE at it's finest. Anytime you need a pick me up just watch Paul's reaction to Josh punching this in.

OMG I had forgotten how sweet those games were. Run, Roddy, Run!!!

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
As for recruiting, most will always blame CPJ for recruiting woes. I will always blame funding and resources during that era. It was pathetic.

And it still ain’t great.

I think it was a combo of the lack of recruiting resources and the negative recruiting against the offense.

Paul was fine until the recruiting landscape changed and the UGAs and Clemsons widened the talent gap. Hard to recruit against them in todays world. Double as hard when you lack financial resources to keep pace.

Guys want to play in the NFL whether they're a 5 star recruit or a 2 star recruit. Hard sell on a top tier recruit when he can look across the way and see UGa and Clemson players getting drafted over and over, when you dont have an offense that's conducive to developing prototypical NFL QBs, WRs and RBs.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
People forget we won that Orange Bowl without three of our fastest players on offense. No Zenon. No Snoddy. No Smelter.
Exactly. Each time we lost one of those guys I thought we would take a step backwards. Smelter was our top receiver and Snoddy was our home run AB. But our offense was just loaded that year. We weren't even at full strength at B-back for our bowl game.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer

Yeah that moment was awesome.

I noticed over time his juice seemed to fade. I’m not sure if it was because of age or what. But his early days were awesome

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Exactly. Each time we lost one of those guys I thought we would take a step backwards. Smelter was our top receiver and Snoddy was our home run AB. But our offense was just loaded that year. We weren't even at full strength at B-back for our bowl game.
How were the b backs not at full strength? Laskey and Days both ran all over them

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I can say from my own experience, the difference between 50 and 60 is huge.

Well, nearly all coaches in all sports tend to mellow with age. This is true for nearly all old folks in all walks of life, too.

I know I’m a lot more mellower — and wiser— now. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.