Thank you, Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Tech fans don’t tend to back teams they don’t think will win at a pretty high level. Especially when uga is riding high. Y’all optimistic types better boost your expected win totals for 2019 and blast that optimism out all over social media to convey high expectations. Otherwise.......
Any idea of the tickets sales and donations post 2018?
U check your source and I ll check mine.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Tech fans don’t tend to back teams they don’t think will win at a pretty high level. Especially when uga is riding high. Y’all optimistic types better boost your expected win totals for 2019 and blast that optimism out all over social media to convey high expectations. Otherwise.......
So what you are saying is our fan base sucks. I tend to agree, and this thread is just one example.

Hype and marketing do not win games.
No but its better then hearing the BS Johnson spewed out every spring. Which is no hope for change of any kind. Last time I saw a record book Minnesota was beating the hell out of us. That last game spoke volumes of what Paul Johnson is. He reinforced the idea that he wasn't ever going to change anything unless it pertained to the defense. That way of running a program is dead. I'd rather have hope than not. Hope left the Johnson camp 4 years ago.

Animal02

Banned
No but its better then hearing the BS Johnson spewed out every spring. Which is no hope for change of any kind. Last time I saw a record book Minnesota was beating the hell out of us. That last game spoke volumes of what Paul Johnson is. He reinforced the idea that he wasn't ever going to change anything unless it pertained to the defense. That way of running a program is dead. I'd rather have hope than not. Hope left the Johnson camp 4 years ago.
:rolleyes:

64jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Not directly. But hype and marketing can generate money and attract recruits, which does eventually lead to winning games. The hype is phase I of the process, not the whole plan.

Now, gimme my eye roll.
Thank you animal 2 for your post ! I for one will not miss PJ at all. The man should have left 4 years ago. Go jackets continue the process.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I hope 4 years from now we’re not all pining for the good ol’ days of the Paul Johnson era!

Its going to depend. Its easy to talk about changing a culture. And who knows maybe they do. But it's also possible that even Collins runs into a brick wall of APR. If we get a new President that cares about uniting athletics with academics. Its possible that he may not.

The main thing is we don't know what CPJ would have done if Drad had remained or Tstan had been hired instead of bobinski. We do know he was working ot change the offense in 2012. And Bobinski did not let him hire an OC a real one. So he hired byran cook and tried to do it himself. He was looking to make a splash hire then and did not have the money for it. But seriously would you want to run any other offense with Justin Thomas he was made for CPJ's base offense and had the quick release to relaly make the passing game work.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I hope 4 years from now we’re not all pining for the good ol’ days of the Paul Johnson era!
If we don't start fulfilling Rick's predictions, it could be that we'll try to get Paul to do a Bill Synder and come back in three.

I don't think that'll happen (I doubt Paul would be interested or on the market, for that matter), but I can guarantee you that after the 2020 season is over there'll be people calling for it.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
If we don't start fulfilling Rick's predictions, it could be that we'll try to get Paul to do a Bill Synder and come back in three.

I don't think that'll happen (I doubt Paul would be interested or on the market, for that matter), but I can guarantee you that after the 2020 season is over there'll be people calling for it.

My predictions? Please list them.

I do agree that the PJ fans will be clamoring for his return and this will happen regardless of Coach Collins' success. They've done little but heap dispersion and doubt upon our new coach before we've even seen the Spring Game. Frankly, it's disgraceful.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Its going to depend. Its easy to talk about changing a culture. And who knows maybe they do. But it's also possible that even Collins runs into a brick wall of APR. If we get a new President that cares about uniting athletics with academics. Its possible that he may not.

The main thing is we don't know what CPJ would have done if Drad had remained or Tstan had been hired instead of bobinski. We do know he was working ot change the offense in 2012. And Bobinski did not let him hire an OC a real one. So he hired byran cook and tried to do it himself. He was looking to make a splash hire then and did not have the money for it. But seriously would you want to run any other offense with Justin Thomas he was made for CPJ's base offense and had the quick release to relaly make the passing game work.
The first part won't happen because nobody in power wants it to. As I've said here before, Tech being a premier technical institute is a vast economic engine for Georgia. There is - at least, so far as I can see - zero interest in changing either the curriculum or the entrance standards to accommodate our athletic programs any more then is done already. Besides, Coach says he doesn't need that.

As to the second point: one of the things it seems to be hard for some people we know to understand about the way Paul coached is that he tailored the offense to the talents of the players he had on hand. This showed up most in QB, though not solely there. When we had guys who could run well but had a hard time with completion rates (Nesbitt, TaQuon) we ran the ball; when we had guys who could throw effectively and run (Tevin, JT) we threw and ran. That was obviously the kind of QB Paul preferred; it was only injury that prevented him from having Ratliff and then Jordan on the field in succession. And, of course, it was Paul who recruited Jordan Yates.

But, hey, you can't stop people from wanting a change, even if there isn't much reason for it. Now it'll be up to Coach. I hope he's as successful or more so then Paul and, if he can shore up the D, I don't see any reason he can't be.

Status
Not open for further replies.