Thank you, Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animal02

Banned
The first part won't happen because nobody in power wants it to. As I've said here before, Tech being a premier technical institute is a vast economic engine for Georgia. There is - at least, so far as I can see - zero interest in changing either the curriculum or the entrance standards to accommodate our athletic programs any more then is done already. Besides, Coach says he doesn't need that.

As to the second point: one of the things it seems to be hard for some people we know to understand about the way Paul coached is that he tailored the offense to the talents of the players he had on hand. This showed up most in QB, though not solely there. When we had guys who could run well but had a hard time with completion rates (Nesbitt, TaQuon) we ran the ball; when we had guys who could throw effectively and run (Tevin, JT) we threw and ran. That was obviously the kind of QB Paul preferred; it was only injury that prevented him from having Ratliff and then Jordan on the field in succession. And, of course, it was Paul who recruited Jordan Yates.

But, hey, you can't stop people from wanting a change, even if there isn't much reason for it. Now it'll be up to Coach. I hope he's as successful or more so then Paul and, if he can shore up the D, I don't see any reason he can't be.
I agree.....watching the Orange Bowl game offense was a thing of beauty. It seemed that defenses forced the QB keep with TaQuon (may be just me.....not sure of the actual numbers) , and without a passing threat nor the speed of JT, it neutralized alot of the playbook.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I agree.....watching the Orange Bowl game offense was a thing of beauty. It seemed that defenses forced the QB keep with TaQuon (may be just me.....not sure of the actual numbers) , and without a passing threat nor the speed of JT, it neutralized alot of the playbook.

The second half of 2014 was as fun as any time I can remember being a GT fan. The offense was an absolute wrecking ball, and we played some VERY good teams during that stretch.

Just looked, and we closed with #24 NC State (win), #19 Clemson (win), #9 UGA (WIN!!!), #4 FSU (ACCCG - loss 35-37), #7 Miss State (Orange Bowl - win).

If we had a half decent defense that season (final DFEI of 70), we're probably ACC Champs and playing in the playoffs.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes, forcing the QB to run was a standard DC ploy against the TO. It's a simple idea and it can work: make him pay for running and slow him down as the game goes on. When the BB wasn't doing as well - think Pitt last year - it worked. When he was - think Louisville last year - it was a recipe for disaster.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
pro tip for the day...in either case you will end up wasting a great deal of your time. Unless you have plenty of free time or just enjoy the discussions. I have been on these boards since they first rolled out and i am not sure I have ever seen anyone's mind changed via these back and forths. Especially on emotional issues like coaches.

I think the main issue I've seen is that coaches like politics make a lot of people forget the facts they don't agree with or understand.

Anti-CPJ Look how we lost to duke! CPJ is a problem he needs to go.
Pro-CPJ Duke has really thrown alot of effort in modernizing their program, cutcliffe schedules 3 or sometimes even 4 option teams a year after losing to tech 7 in a row he made Tech his personal superbowl.

Truth, well we shouldn't be losing to duke but its really hard to argue they haven't been going more all in than us the past 5 years. Also practice time and discipline beats any offensive scheme. Cutcliffe realized when fedora was at UNC he could focus on us and UNC and easily reach a bowl every year. Scheduling Army an fcs option school and us means that he probably gets 2/3 there. UNC ran the same offense as half the ACC and a version of his own so he basically didn't have to split practice focus.

Anti-CPJ reads what I typed. Says that person is a pro-cpj zealot argues against the offense (which is numerically silly)
Pro-CPJ doesn't see it as zealoted enough.

Animal02

Banned
The second half of 2014 was as fun as any time I can remember being a GT fan. The offense was an absolute wrecking ball, and we played some VERY good teams during that stretch.

Just looked, and we closed with #24 NC State (win), #19 Clemson (win), #9 UGA (WIN!!!), #4 FSU (ACCCG - loss 35-37), #7 Miss State (Orange Bowl - win).

If we had a half decent defense that season (final DFEI of 70), we're probably ACC Champs and playing in the playoffs.
If we had not had to play against Duke AND the refs, they may have run the table that year.

Animal02

Banned
I think the main issue I've seen is that coaches like politics make a lot of people forget the facts they don't agree with or understand.

Anti-CPJ Look how we lost to duke! CPJ is a problem he needs to go.
Pro-CPJ Duke has really thrown alot of effort in modernizing their program, cutcliffe schedules 3 or sometimes even 4 option teams a year after losing to tech 7 in a row he made Tech his personal superbowl.

Truth, well we shouldn't be losing to duke but its really hard to argue they haven't been going more all in than us the past 5 years. Also practice time and discipline beats any offensive scheme. Cutcliffe realized when fedora was at UNC he could focus on us and UNC and easily reach a bowl every year. Scheduling Army an fcs option school and us means that he probably gets 2/3 there. UNC ran the same offense as half the ACC and a version of his own so he basically didn't have to split practice focus.

Anti-CPJ reads what I typed. Says that person is a pro-cpj zealot argues against the offense (which is numerically silly)
Pro-CPJ doesn't see it as zealoted enough.
I agree with everything except you last line....;)

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
pro tip for the day...in either case you will end up wasting a great deal of your time. Unless you have plenty of free time or just enjoy the discussions. I have been on these boards since they first rolled out and i am not sure I have ever seen anyone's mind changed via these back and forths. Especially on emotional issues like coaches.

I actually do enjoy a good back and forth debate for its own sake. I just try to walk away if it is no longer producing anything worthwhile. Sometimes, I stay too long.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Paul got thanked to the tune of about $3 Million per year plus a lot of fringe benefits. He did a good job, got well paid for it and he will be fine as will Georgia Tech. Life moves on.

Go Jackets!

Yeah, everybody. Shame on you for trying to create a positive thread where you express that you enjoyed the last coach. You must all be millennial snowflakes!!!

Seriously though, there are a lot of coaches that get thanked with millions of dollars per year without any good results to show for it. (Also notable that his $3 million per year ranked about 40th in head coach pay, so it ain't like he was getting some crazy windfall or anything.)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Any idea of the tickets sales and donations post 2018?
U check your source and I ll check mine.
Called about my seat location request - wont know till week after sales close.
Representative say there is definite increase as people are interested in what's new. I will ask for an estimate of the percent change next call.
I would guess about 10%.

Called about my seat location request - wont know till week after sales close.
Representative say there is definite increase as people are interested in what's new. I will ask for an estimate of the percent change next call.
I would guess about 10%.
I hope whatever increase there is is due to increased interest and not just the biannual increase due to mutts buying tickets.

64jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I like the idea that he should have had a season where he won 11 games, beat UGA, went to the ACC title game, and won the Orange Bowl and then...quit in shame? Haters gunna hate. lol.
Ok gtrx7 your to funny . So your saying YOUR happy with what you mentioned in your post . That's nothing in 12 years nothing at all i want more . We all should want more. That offense can only take you so far . That's why the change was made . Hatters gonna hate is CRAP MAN PLEASE !!! I love GT football. So you enjoy your couple of wins against GA . A nice win in the orange bowl but I WANT MORE , MUCH MORE ! GO JACKETS

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The spirit of this thread is long gone, so I'm locking the thread.

As an aside, I would like to point out that the spirit of this thread could not have been more clearly dedicated to remembering the positive aspects of CPJ.

Yet, it's many of the same posters asking for incessant positivity toward CGC who created divisiveness and regurgitated reasons for not appreciating what CPJ was doing.

I ask those who are attacking CPJ's tenure 3+ months after he left, in a thank you thread to him, what are you intending to accomplish?

Whether in this thread or another one... "We don't need you" alienates others. Offering who we lost to while stating "the good ol' days of Paul Johnson era" alienates others. Liking posts with that language alienates others.

There are many logical reasons to believe CPJ could have done better, and there are many logical reasons why CGC may fail. The inverse is also true for both. Tone and choice of words matters, especially if you want folks to respect your opinion... whether in this post or any other.

Status
Not open for further replies.